Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Selection

martinarcher

martinarcher

Anyone have a prop recommendation for my 87' Sunsetter. We run about 400-1300lbs of ballast and a floating wedge on an average day. Usually with a crew of 5-8.

I have a three blade ACME on it now (forget the size.....need to check today when I'm working on the boat and report back).

The prop on it now is not too good and struggles to hold speed when turning the boat around with the wedge down. My last boat had a 4 blade OJ and it was an awesome prop. I was looking at the 4 blade OJ XMP Edge. Anyone have one? Thoughts?

I could use help also. 2011 247 with 6.0 motor with the stock prop. It does 49MPH wide open. I wouldnt mind giving up some top end to make surfing with 4000lbs ballast a little easier.

martinarcher

That does look like the way to go. I spent a while looking at prop pitch on that chart with the other boats that have 4 choices and it's unreal how much pitch they can add to a prop and still have it be a better "wake" prop than a comparable 3 blader with an inch less pitch and the same cup.

I fly a lot of model airplanes and know what pitch does for pulling power when you reduce it and get the motor spinning faster when doing high alpha maneuvers that require more thrust at slower speeds, but I always played with 2 blade props. Looks like the 209 is the best of both worlds....and inch more pitch (higher top speed) and more pull. Rockon.gif

Wonder if ACME will allow me to "trade" in my 543 for a 209?