Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard Recommendation for a [large] Newbie

skiguy

Bought a new boat and now I want to learn how to wakeboard. I have tons of slalom ski experience which has done nothing for me in the couple times I've tried to get up on a rented wakeboard. But that's another story....

I'm 6' 5" and weigh 220 lbs. Size 13 shoe.

Any recommendations on a relatively inexpensive board and bindings would be appreciated. With regards to bindings, are there any bindings that are easy to get into? The boots I squeezed into in my previous attempts practically gave me a hernia.

Thanks!

I like the liquid force vantage's. The domains are pretty similiar but only come in open toe. With size 13, you should have god luck finding a left over pair of either from last year online I would hope.

Definitely dont' want to go any smaller than a 142 in board length.

this isn't the cheapest option (you may be able to find a used board) but the 142 cm slingshot recoil (maybe get the response for a rookie) board that i got last year is just amazing. it's by far the easiest board to get up on and it's the most forgiving on your landings.

Call Wileys and ask for Darren.

http://www.wileyski.com/

They have lots of stuff that is not on the website and can get you a good deal on 2nds and will be able to steer you the right way, plus they can set you up with Wiley bindings which = something for big feet and also something you will come out of when you crash.

I'm 6'1 225 size 11.5 shoe and I currently ride a 143 lyman, I owuldn't reccomend that board for beginnners, though it is very forgiving wiht catching edges. I would second a slingshot, not sure I'd go recoil, that's what I used to ride and it's a bit slow for your size. You might want to look response or reflex, or one of the new atomic core ones like the newton

Thanks for the info. Looking around I found a used 3-4 yr. old 142 cm CWB Slayer with XXL bindings. Does anyone have any opinions on this board?