Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing center floor panel in 2003 Wakesetter VLX

I just purchased a new (to me) wakesetter, and need to access the fuel tank in order to fix the fuel gauge. We've ruled out the gauge itself. I'm assuming there's some hidden screws in the floorboard (I know other brands of boats have these in the corners of the removable panel), but can't seem to find any (and don't want to break anything). I can see that the floor fits under the rear seat in the boat. I tried searching other posts with no luck. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

I just purchased a new (to me) wakesetter, and need to access the fuel tank in order to fix the fuel gauge. We've ruled out the gauge itself. I'm assuming there's some hidden screws in the floorboard (I know other brands of boats have these in the corners of the removable panel), but can't seem to find any (and don't want to break anything). I can see that the floor fits under the rear seat in the boat. I tried searching other posts with no luck. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

On all the V drives that I've had to get to the tank (can't promise yours is the same) start with the vertical panel hardware in the rear that supports the rear seats. There should be some aluminum plates that attach it to other side panels under the side interior seating. Some other common securing places are in the rear compartments, look for some l brackets. once you remove s few screws you'll have some movement so you can locate other securing hardware. Once that panel piece comes out, the main floor will come out and you'll have easy access. Now, again, that's on the vdrives I've done this to, yours could be different but I'd suggest starting there.

How did you rule out the fuel gauge? Did you do the gauge cluster test, and saw the fuel gauge move? Reason I ask is I had a similiar problem, and guessed it was the fuel sender, but was really the gauge.

Pete- If 2003 is like 2004, the fuel sender is under the floor, and you can't see it from the v-drive area.

Edited by Indyxc

Thanks everyone....I'll give it a try this weekend. To answer how I knew it was a bad gas gauge, a friend of mine is a mechanic and he ruled it out (so I don't really know how).

I figured there were some screws hidden, I just didn't know where.

KT

Thanks everyone....I'll give it a try this weekend. To answer how I knew it was a bad gas gauge, a friend of mine is a mechanic and he ruled it out (so I don't really know how).

I figured there were some screws hidden, I just didn't know where.

KT

Gauges break often, mine was broken. Run the gauge test, per Paul at Bake's Marine:

Turn your ignition key on

Toggle the display button until lake temp in on your center LCD

press and hold down the display toggle for 5-10 seconds and your gauges will go into a test mode

did the fuel gauge move then?

If no - your gauge is bad and needs to be replaced.

If yes, do the following test

Remove center floor board in the middle of the boat.

with key in the on posistion

run a ground jumper wire and short the pink wire to ground

this will give the sending unit full resistance and show that you have a full tank on the dash.

If yes you need a new sending unit

If no on both tests you possibly have something wrong with the computer.

Try those tests.

Gauges break often, mine was broken. Run the gauge test, per Paul at Bake's Marine:

press and hold down the display toggle for 5-10 seconds and your gauges will go into a test mode

this will give the sending unit full resistance and show that you have a full tank on the dash.

Try those tests.

I haven't had a chance to try to lift the floor yet, but I did go out and notice that I don't seem to have a display toggle on my gauges for the center LCD. Where would that be located? I assume it's some sort of button near the gauges?

Thanks

Ignore my last post....I found the display toggles. Just wasn't looking in the right spot (and it's a new boat).

Still haven't had a chance to work on it yet.

Try those tests.

So I tried the gauge test and it didn't work? I couldn't get any of the gauges to go through a test mode?

To give an update, I was able to get the floor out of the boat (thank you Pistol Pete)...that video was spot on. I tested the resistance on the sender unit on the fuel tank, and it's working properly. I wasn't able to run the gauges through the test by holding down the display button (while lake temp....or any other info is in the center display), but voltage, engine temp, and oil pressure all work while I'm using the boat. I've tried switching wires on the gauges....still no luck.

Any other tips? I'm thinking either a bad gauge or computer?

To give an update, I was able to get the floor out of the boat (thank you Pistol Pete)...that video was spot on. I tested the resistance on the sender unit on the fuel tank, and it's working properly. I wasn't able to run the gauges through the test by holding down the display button (while lake temp....or any other info is in the center display), but voltage, engine temp, and oil pressure all work while I'm using the boat. I've tried switching wires on the gauges....still no luck.

Any other tips? I'm thinking either a bad gauge or computer?

So none of the gauges work in the cycle mode, but the sender reads fine, and no gauge goes into cycle mode. I tend to agree then, either a bad gauge or a bad computer.'

Paul at Bake's marine has built a gauge tester. Send your gauge to him, and if it doesn't work he can get you a new one for $200 bucks. I believe the computer is pricey so best bet is to start there.

Edited by Indyxc

So none of the gauges work in the cycle mode, but the sender reads fine, and no gauge goes into cycle mode. I tend to agree then, either a bad gauge or a bad computer.'

Paul at Bake's marine has built a gauge tester. Send your gauge to him, and if it doesn't work he can get you a new one for $200 bucks. I believe the computer is pricey so best bet is to start there.

Thanks....I talked with him yesterday about the tester. The only thing is I live in Nor Cal and the weather's been great, so I'm hesitant to go a week and a half without the gauge. Does anyone know of someone closer with a tester?

• 10 years later...

Hey Everyone.  New here and appreciate all the great info.   Have a new to me 2003 wakesetter vlx.  Trying to remove the center floorboard to test my fuel sending unit and cannot find the screws.  Does anyone have an image or video?   Appears the one from this thread earlier is no longer active. 

Edited by Wakebrdn
formulaben

Mine were at the forward corners within about 1/2" of the corner tip in with nothing at the aft end, as the seat rail sat on it.  Take a small screwdriver and just dig for it and you'll find them.