Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Muck Removal

jeepdude2

Question for the crew...

I Live in a area where Muck has collected due to stagnant water and NON-Use.

I have been looking at ways to combat the problem and have seen to many different ones.

there is everything from a Giant aerator, to motorized rake, to what looks like a trolling motor on AC power.

Does anyone in the crew have any experiences with Muck removal and what worked best?

All help is appreciated. :werule:

Edited by jeepdude2

What about using a trash pump and blasting it all away? You could then put some plastic down and cover it with pea stone and sand to great a more firm bottom. I presume you're looking to firm it up for dock & lift installation?

well i am looking for a more permanent solution.

There is like 6+ inches then a hard bottom, it is more that i do not want to have to stand in it when I am loading and unloading the Jet Ski from its lift, working on the boat & it would help keep the dog cleaner.

Do you need a permit to spread that stuff in the lake?

I will say that I finally broke down and bought a weed roller. It cleaned the muck (and a lot of it) in just a few weeks. After that I only needed to run it a couple of hours each day to keep it clean.

Drawbacks: It's hard to move around and only the area it "sweeps" will stay clean.. oh, and the price...

Do you need a permit to spread that stuff in the lake?

I will say that I finally broke down and bought a weed roller. It cleaned the muck (and a lot of it) in just a few weeks. After that I only needed to run it a couple of hours each day to keep it clean.

Drawbacks: It's hard to move around and only the area it "sweeps" will stay clean.. oh, and the price...

not sure i think it varies from state to state

Question for the crew...

I Live in a area where Muck has collected due to stagnant water and NON-Use.

I have been looking at ways to combat the problem and have seen to many different ones.

there is everything from a Giant aerator, to motorized rake, to what looks like a trolling motor on AC power.

Does anyone in the crew have any experiences with Muck removal and what worked best?

All help is appreciated. :werule:

What exactly do you mean by muck? Most people define muck as the silty mud on a lake bottom. Are you describing vegetation? Hydrilla perhaps?

What exactly do you mean by muck? Most people define muck as the silty mud on a lake bottom. Are you describing vegetation? Hydrilla perhaps?

Eyepeeler,

By Muck I mean that silty, gooey, smelly stuff you get from organic stuff breaking down and settling on the bottom.

WakingmeHappy,

I am talking about a 570 acre inland lake, but i am looking to just clean up a section of my waterfront.

I have heard of people using 13-13-13 fertilizer. Contact you state wildlife management agency. I bet they can provide specifics that will also enhance aquatic life.

MalibuNation

I have heard of people using 13-13-13 fertilizer. Contact you state wildlife management agency. I bet they can provide specifics that will also enhance aquatic life.

My gawd WMH, with that much phosphorus you are going to prompt weed growth and when those plants die, more muck. Nitrogen is pretty good at breaking down organic materials ... but then again it can promote weed growth. Just my 2 pennies.

This is the co I deal with to kill my weeds and they have products for muck too.

http://www.killlakeweeds.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_products

I've toyed with muck removal products in the past and have contacted our DNR and they said muck removal works so so at best. You certainly don't want to add weed kiiler and muck removal products at the same time as the weed killer will kill the muck eater.

I need to get to CedarLakes place to see his weed rollers ... I have a neighbor who something that creates a current that works pretty good ... kind of like an underwater trolling motor that pushes all the gunk out in the lake.

Keep us posted!

My gawd WMH, with that much phosphorus you are going to prompt weed growth and when those plants die, more muck. Nitrogen is pretty good at breaking down organic materials ... but then again it can promote weed growth. Just my 2 pennies.

This is the co I deal with to kill my weeds and they have products for muck too.

http://www.killlakeweeds.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_products

I've toyed with muck removal products in the past and have contacted our DNR and they said muck removal works so so at best. You certainly don't want to add weed kiiler and muck removal products at the same time as the weed killer will kill the muck eater.

I need to get to CedarLakes place to see his weed rollers ... I have a neighbor who something that creates a current that works pretty good ... kind of like an underwater trolling motor that pushes all the gunk out in the lake.

Keep us posted!

believe it or not, it doesn't seem to get that weedy in front of my house. its more that the break down comes from a marsh area and me being on the west side of the lake.

I've seen those trolling motor apparatuses and they seem like a good idea, but not a $1000 good idea.

http://www.foryourshore.com/index.cfm?carttoken=YKW937J041811104751&action=ViewDetails&itemid=98

I mean who ever thought an AC trolling motor would be so expensive.

Edited by jeepdude2

In my opinion, the cheapest solution that will work the best is to use Visqueen, pea gravel and sand. Start by unrolling about 5 feet of the Visqueen starting just above the waterline. Start shoveling (or rent a front loader) the pea gravel onto the Visqueen while continuing to roll it out and pushing the pea gravel over it. You will need A LOT of pea gravel because you need the weight to push down the muck. Once you have this all spread out, start laying sand over top of the pea gravel. It will take some time, but in the end, you will be very happy with the results.

Also, another tip to keep weeds out (though you said you really don't have much) is to spread a few cans of corn where the weeds are every 3-4 months. The carp will pull the weeds to get at the corn to eat.

In my opinion, the cheapest solution that will work the best is to use Visqueen, pea gravel and sand. Start by unrolling about 5 feet of the Visqueen starting just above the waterline. Start shoveling (or rent a front loader) the pea gravel onto the Visqueen while continuing to roll it out and pushing the pea gravel over it. You will need A LOT of pea gravel because you need the weight to push down the muck. Once you have this all spread out, start laying sand over top of the pea gravel. It will take some time, but in the end, you will be very happy with the results.

Also, another tip to keep weeds out (though you said you really don't have much) is to spread a few cans of corn where the weeds are every 3-4 months. The carp will pull the weeds to get at the corn to eat.

That's great advice. I never thought to do that. I typically use copper sulfate and regular raking to take care of the weeds in my area. It typically takes 2 applications of the copper sulfate over the season and I stay relatively weed free.

MalibuNation

Can gas pass through Visqueen? I know they make a fabric for the lake bottom that breathes and allows gas to pass through it but weeds can't grow through it ... kind of like heavy duty landscaping fabric.

You'd be shocked how much material your boat can move at 1000 rpm. Park your jeep near the water front. Attach a rope from each rear "d-ring" on your boat to each end of a jeep bumper. This will keep your boat in position (no rotating), which is key to clearing the muck.

- Your boat should be pointed out to sea, so the muck is going to be blasted back to shore.

- Run your boat for about 15 minutes without moving it. The key is that you are going to get enough water moving that the muck does not settle near your dock. Without the boat moving the stream you create will also keep clean water coming to your boat, so you are not pulling muck through your cooling system.

- This will clear an area about 5' deep and 30' long. Walking around stiring up muck near the stream of prop wash will make it more effective.

note: Don't do this if you have close neighbors, or you will be adding muck to their area.

You'd be shocked how much material your boat can move at 1000 rpm. Park your jeep near the water front. Attach a rope from each rear "d-ring" on your boat to each end of a jeep bumper. This will keep your boat in position (no rotating), which is key to clearing the muck.

- Your boat should be pointed out to sea, so the muck is going to be blasted back to shore.

- Run your boat for about 15 minutes without moving it. The key is that you are going to get enough water moving that the muck does not settle near your dock. Without the boat moving the stream you create will also keep clean water coming to your boat, so you are not pulling muck through your cooling system.

- This will clear an area about 5' deep and 30' long. Walking around stiring up muck near the stream of prop wash will make it more effective.

note: Don't do this if you have close neighbors, or you will be adding muck to their area.

Jet skis work wonders too.

It's true! I've seen people use both of these, for leaves and muck.

Jet skis work wonders too.

A stand up jet ski is my tool of choice, and it works great! It's light weight enough that I can stand in the area I want cleared, give her a little gas while pulling up on the nose, and watch as the muck goes bye bye.