Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cavitation damage to rudder?

l98ycar

I picked up my new to me 2000 Escape LSV and have been working on some minor maintainance and clean-up. I notice a small hole on the rudder, not sure if this is a casting problem or cavitation damage. Has anyone seen anything like this - know what causes it? I was probably just going to fill it and keep an eye on it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

post-15353-059384400 1303090294_thumb.jp

I picked up my new to me 2000 Escape LSV and have been working on some minor maintainance and clean-up. I notice a small hole on the rudder, not sure if this is a casting problem or cavitation damage. Has anyone seen anything like this - know what causes it? I was probably just going to fill it and keep an eye on it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

It's cavitation damage. I have an older Skier with a worn spot in exactly the same place on the rudder. I'm not sure there's much you can do except keep an eye on it and replace the rudder eventually. I guess you could try to fill it, but considering that cavitation will eat away at cast bronze, I doubt a surface patch would last very long.

It's cavitation damage. I have an older Skier with a worn spot in exactly the same place on the rudder. I'm not sure there's much you can do except keep an eye on it and replace the rudder eventually. I guess you could try to fill it, but considering that cavitation will eat away at cast bronze, I doubt a surface patch would last very long.

What about drilling the hole out to smooth it out and filling it in with epoxy?

What about drilling the hole out to smooth it out and filling it in with epoxy?

I wouldn't drill too much, but filling it with epoxy wouldn't hurt anything, I just don't think it would last long either. Epoxy is great for some things, but compared to the original casting it will abrade away pretty quickly.

With how irregular the damage is, I would say that there was a void in the casting. If it was just straight cavitation damage the hole would be smooth and more symmetrical. I would fill it with JB Weld (over fill the hole and then file it down once cured) and try it before I went to the expense and PITA of replacing it.

With how irregular the damage is, I would say that there was a void in the casting. If it was just straight cavitation damage the hole would be smooth and more symmetrical. I would fill it with JB Weld (over fill the hole and then file it down once cured) and try it before I went to the expense and PITA of replacing it.

I'd do the same.