Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I must be living right! Wow, this is a tight squeeze into garage!

Fman

After my pro 80's went on the tower I was not able to remove the cross member. So I had to remove the top tow knob on tower, and the bracket for the mirror to completely collapse the tower. It fit, but only with less than 1/4" to spare. I would really like to lower the SBT trailer, I have too much clearance in the fender wells. The SBT is a torsion bar suspension, has anyone done this? I heard it is possible to do just not sure how I would do something like this... I could probably get 2" more of clearance if I can lower the trailer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

post-15179-014779200 1303066676_thumb.jp

post-15179-016266500 1303066686_thumb.jp

Wow man that's close. Check out this article should be the same if you have torsion axles.

The other thing you can do is use a really low drop hitch in the tow vehicle to get you some extra room when exiting/entering the garage.

Edited by 06vlx

Too much clearance? What is too much clearance and what does it cause?

I was referring to excessive fender clearance for the tires rubbing on the fender. I can probably drop it 2" and still have plenty of room for up and down wheel travel clearance. It looks like SBT set the torsion bars to high.

Wow man that's close. Check out this article should be the same if you have torsion axles.

The other thing you can do is use a really low drop hitch in the tow vehicle to get you some extra room when exiting/entering the garage.

Thanks for the article, this is exactly what I need to do.... does not look to difficult. I have to remove the G3 mirror bracket, and loosen the Bimini pole insert on tower to allow the tower to fully collapse. It would be nice not having to do this everytime I stow the tower.

Would an adjustable hitch help give you a a little more clearance? back it up the the garage, drop the hitch down as far as it'll go then back it in?

andrapid-sm.jpg

This is another great idea, I am going to look into one of these... thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to thank Woody for his write-up on lowering a torsion axle trailer. I was able to drop my SBT 1 3/4" today, pretty simple job, took about 1 hour. Rotating the spindles 3 notches clockwise dropped the trailer 1 3/4" which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks again Woody!

Wanted to thank Woody for his write-up on lowering a torsion axle trailer. I was able to drop my SBT 1 3/4" today, pretty simple job, took about 1 hour. Rotating the spindles 3 notches clockwise dropped the trailer 1 3/4" which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks again Woody!

You're welcome! :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Just lowered mine 4 splines. Had 4" clearance to the fender, now it's 2". I didn't think that 2" was gonna be enough, but it was.

Edited by skibreeze