Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barbed elbow to fit fly high sacks?

shawndoggy

06.....I could be way off but didn't you say you found some fittings that were "close enough" at Home depot. (in another thread)

They are the same as the ones that he linked to, I didn't use those ones but found some better ones (they didn't stick out as far from the bag) at Fisheries Supply here in seattle. They are for livewell applications, look like the ones on the factory hard tanks.

They are the same as the ones that he linked to, I didn't use those ones but found some better ones (they didn't stick out as far from the bag) at Fisheries Supply here in seattle. They are for livewell applications, look like the ones on the factory hard tanks.

great I think we have the same store in portland

Edited by Ruffdog

Really? The bulged part of a bag (~50 lbs or so) can crush a pump?

I broke a pump on my old boat. It was a Johnson/Mayfair pump and I was in the middle of Lake Mead in 500 feet of water chilling between surf sets and my bilge suddenly comes on...and stays on. I found that the weight of the 400 pound sack had put enough torque on the pump between the sack and the rear wall that it broke the threaded bottom right off and started spilling 400 pounds of water into the bilge. You can imagine my relief when I realized where the water was coming from!

Not being that smart, I replaced it and connected it the same way and never had a problem. I had the pumps that way for several years. So I know it can happen, but it is overall a rare event, IMO.

• 3 months later...

Yeah I installed mine with marine silicone. No issues and no leaks. I did put a rubber o-ring on it as well like Fly High does on their fittings.

nice. Let me know if you are heading down to that place again... I'd love to paypal you some cash or stick a 20 in the mail to pick me up a few?

what kind of marine silicone did you use?

Edited by shawndoggy

This is exactly what I used except mine are white in color. I paid the same for them too locally. Might want to pick these up, get a rubber o-ring for each one at the hardware store, and use the silicone to set them in place semi-permanently.

Worked for me on my custom fly high bag. I did it because I was breaking the 90 degree quick connect fittings, these are much more substantial and don't stick out as far as the quick connect assembly. I run a short piece of hose off of it and have the quick connect at the end of that. Works better now.

https://www.flow-rite.com/product/adapter-34-inch-barbed-90%C2%BA-insert-34-inch-male-npt

yes, you are right. NPS (?) non-tapered threads. Spoke with Jason at wakemakers and he talked me out of running the extension hose. I think I'm just going to screw the pump right into the bag and then put the quick connects on the other side of the pump (which means I need to figure out a molex power connection of some sort too).

This is how the dealer set mine up...I've had no issues. Same bags and all. But then again, he used the wrong fitting for the top of the bags :unsure: Call Paul at Bakes and he will get you what you need.

To drag this topic back up.

I have found the source of the water leak......it is the fittings in the bag, not the quick connects. I have not changed my plumbing as a result.

I used some liquid pipe sealer (teflon) and tightened the fly high fittings with pliers (previously they had always been hand tight) I noticed the fittings screwed in quite a bit further which gave me some hope. Since then no water leaks in the locker and the system works fine other than not draining all the way (pumps in the front). I really don't want to move them back because I feel like they will get pressed up against the transom and break. ( the big tubing I showed a pic of earlier just occupied to much space)

Does it really matter if they leak a little?

I never really concrened myself much with that cuz face it - the first time somebody gets back in the boat with a wet jacket and suit they bring in way more water than a little ballast leak.

Multiply that times 10 rides and then a chili dip or 3 and you've got 100 times more water than even a significant ballast leak.

If you want to stay dry leave the boat on the trailer.

I use a quick connect on the back of my 750's which are 90's I then use an "coupler" prior to the pump which sits against the back of the boat inside the motor compartment. so about 8 inches from the bag, bags come out easy, there is no pressure at all on the pump, I have no priming issues (however i do have about an inch of water which always seems to be in the bags), so seems to work well. do you want me to snap a photo of the fitting I used?

LOL, don't shoot the messenger big guy!

Jason said that that's how moombas and supras are set up with the pumps remote from the bags and that they have problems. All-in-all he was very helpful and he definitely knows his stuff.