Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pulleys Frozen??

Alright so on my 2006 Monsoon 350, I let it sit all winter and during that time two things happened. First it froze while it was outside on a trailer to 28 degrees for about 4 days and it WAS NOT winterized, it seemed at first that it still ran ok because it immediately turned over. The second thing was that since my boat is around salt its prone to rusting and apparently either as a result of the freeze or as a result of the rust, some of the pulleys are frozen and the belt just spins around them. The only pulley that works is the one from the shaft. All the others (alternator, water pump?) are locked into position. Whats the best way to go about fixing this?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harrison256

• NorCaliBu

• 99response

• Steve B.

Remove motor, replace motor.
Helpful.

If nothing else, Pete believes in brevity. :lol:

Is it possible that there's still frozen water inside the engine? Could that be why the circ pump won't turn?

Pete's point in his brief, to the point, response, is that if the block is cracked and everything is frozen from salt induced corrosion the motor is not recoverable.

Remove motor, replace motor.

At least remove frozen parts (alternator, water pump), replace frozen parts.

Pull 'em off, go through them, and figure out if the bearings are shot. Then see above.

Edited by DIE2SURF

Its doubtful theres still frozen water inside the engine, that was months ago and its definitely hot here in texas right now. Is there any chance i could take the belt off and try to break the pulleys free or would pulling off the alternator and water pump be the only options?

Also, should the pulleys be able to spin with the engine in the off position? i just want to make sure its not just a tension issue on the belt but I havent had the courage (or stupidity) to try to break the pulley free with the engine running obviously lol

Remove the belts and try. If the water pump doesn't spin with easy hand pressure then the bearings are frozen and you're gonna have to replace the pump. Same with the alternator.

Its doubtful theres still frozen water inside the engine, that was months ago and its definitely hot here in texas right now. Is there any chance i could take the belt off and try to break the pulleys free or would pulling off the alternator and water pump be the only options?

Also, should the pulleys be able to spin with the engine in the off position? i just want to make sure its not just a tension issue on the belt but I havent had the courage (or stupidity) to try to break the pulley free with the engine running obviously lol

Sorry, I assumed you had already taken the belt off and tried to spin by hand. NorCaliBu is correct.

If the alternator is frozen, it would likely be cheaper to replace the bearings and brushes (rebuild kit) than buy new...assuming you can get a rebuild kit for these boat alternators, I've never tried for the 'bu.

Water pump will most likely need to be replaced if frozen.

Hope it works out for you.

Alright so on my 2006 Monsoon 350, I let it sit all winter and during that time two things happened. First it froze while it was outside on a trailer to 28 degrees for about 4 days and it WAS NOT winterized, it seemed at first that it still ran ok because it immediately turned over. The second thing was that since my boat is around salt its prone to rusting and apparently either as a result of the freeze or as a result of the rust, some of the pulleys are frozen and the belt just spins around them. The only pulley that works is the one from the shaft. All the others (alternator, water pump?) are locked into position. Whats the best way to go about fixing this?

You can be kicked off of here for letting your boat freeze and filling it with salt. A good punch in the head might start your pulleys turning.

Sorry, I assumed you had already taken the belt off and tried to spin by hand. NorCaliBu is correct.

If the alternator is frozen, it would likely be cheaper to replace the bearings and brushes (rebuild kit) than buy new...assuming you can get a rebuild kit for these boat alternators, I've never tried for the 'bu.

Water pump will most likely need to be replaced if frozen.

Hope it works out for you.

Does an alternator rebuild kit usually come with bearings? I thought it was just for the brushes, etc...? :dontknow: Been too long. I don't remember the age of the boat we're talking about but it might be a good time to upgrade to a higher output unit.

You can be kicked off of here for letting your boat freeze and filling it with salt. A good punch in the head might start your pulleys turning.

"A good punch in the head..." :rofl:

Many of us were thinking it... Eyepeeler was the one with the cajones...

I priced out an alternator rebuild kit for my Chevy Silverado a couple months ago, they said $55 with bearing... but a remanufactured was $100. Needless to say, I decided to be lazy.

Good point about possibly upgrading to higher output alt.

I hate to say it but 4 days of cold that good has probably cracked your block. Fixing the belts is the first step to verifying that, but a motor with a cracked block will fire up, but the oil will turn into a milkshake pretty quick.

Most common place for a crack are in the valley below the intake manifold, I'd pull and inspect at the very least. Also check the exhaust manifolds.

As for the water pump and alt. I'd get a breaker bar and the right sized socket and break them free.

-Chris

Even more to think about....if your engine block is cracked from freezing, your likely to need a new heater core, shower pump (assuming you have a heater & shower in your boat) and maybe even have some v-drive damage to boot !

Is it likely the block is cracked? I could handle the alternator and waterpump probably (cost on that?) but if the block is cracked I'm obviously going to go insurance on it and take the 2 months of downtime. I will get a chance to look at it myself tomorrow.

Where all should I look for freeze damage?

Hopefully you'll find the block didn't crack. For now, I guess I'd get the pump, alt. going so you can start the engine and let her warm up completely. Then do the milkshake test (check the oil).

We're keeping our fingers crossed for ya ! Let us know how it goes,

Steve B.

Do a visual inspection of the block and check the oil for the presence of water and/or a milkshake color / consistency. If no evidence of freeze damage try to free up the alternator and engine circ pump so that the engine can be run.

Edit: To answer your question "Is the block likely to be cracked?" Yes, it is likely.

Edited by NorCaliBu

It is unlikely that your water pump and alternator would sieze at the same time. If the belt was not squealing and smoking when you had the engine running, I would say it is probably just a loose belt.

It is unlikely that your water pump and alternator would sieze at the same time. If the belt was not squealing and smoking when you had the engine running, I would say it is probably just a loose belt.

It was squealing and smoking actually sorry I forgot to mention that

Is it likely the block is cracked? I could handle the alternator and waterpump probably (cost on that?) but if the block is cracked I'm obviously going to go insurance on it and take the 2 months of downtime. I will get a chance to look at it myself tomorrow.

Where all should I look for freeze damage?

Hate to tell you but very very few insurance companies cover freeze damage.

If it was that cold for that long, unless the boat sat in the blazing sun all day I'd say you're probably looking at a cracked block.

Harrison,

You're obviously not mechanically inclined. You didn't winterize your boat, you let it sit for 4 days in below freezing temps. and then you come on and ask us why the pulleys are frozen.

You haven't done much to diagnose them but, you come on here looking for an instant answer. Well, sorry you didn't like it but, my answer was your instant answer. Yes, much more than likely YOU toasted YOUR motor. Why don't you save ALL OF US the trouble of walking you through what you should do about it and take it to a professional and have it DIAGNOSED and fixed correctly?

Harrison,

You're obviously not mechanically inclined. You didn't winterize your boat, you let it sit for 4 days in below freezing temps. and then you come on and ask us why the pulleys are frozen.

You haven't done much to diagnose them but, you come on here looking for an instant answer. Well, sorry you didn't like it but, my answer was your instant answer. Yes, much more than likely YOU toasted YOUR motor. Why don't you save ALL OF US the trouble of walking you through what you should do about it and take it to a professional and have it DIAGNOSED and fixed correctly?

DAYum, I hope Harrison was wearing his Save Phace when he read that!

save_phace_lazarus1.JPG

Harrison,

Tell us how you really feel! :rofl:

Harrison,

Gotta agree with Pete.....take it to your dealer and have it looked at.

Harrison,

Here is what I would do.

I would remove the belt and using a pair of large channelocks, I would gently move the pullys back and forth. Don't force them, just rock them back and forth trying to gain a little extra movement each time. If you can get them to free up, reinstall the belt. If this doesn't work, replace the water pump and alternator (going to have to anyway) and then do this next:

Install whatever device you are using to run the boat in the driveway and run the boat. LOOK everywhere on the block for leaks, frequently pull the dipstick checking for the "milkshake" colored oil. If anything goes wrong shut the boat off right away and make your plans.