Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 vlx surf wake

outboardin

I have a 2011 VLX. when I set it in surf mode, the wake curls and hits me in the leg, pushing me out of the sweetspot, making it almost impossible to surf without the rope.

Does anyone have any ideas of the best weight set up to dial in this surf wake?

Thanks

I have a 2011 VLX. when I set it in surf mode, the wake curls and hits me in the leg, pushing me out of the sweetspot, making it almost impossible to surf without the rope.

Thanks

I have been told adding a 750 bag to the rear compartment will make a huge difference, at least this is what I am planning on doing with my VLX when it comes in. Contact wakemakers.com, they had a 2010 VLX for there shop boat last year and can get you going in the right direction. They did quite a bit of surfing with the VLX and said with the 750lb bag it was very nice.

I have been told adding a 750 bag to the rear compartment will make a huge difference, at least this is what I am planning on doing with my VLX when it comes in. Contact wakemakers.com, they had a 2010 VLX for there shop boat last year and can get you going in the right direction. They did quite a bit of surfing with the VLX and said with the 750lb bag it was very nice.

you will want to add the 1,100# sac instead of the 750# sac.

Thanks so far.... I know I need to add some weight, I am just trying to figure out the right combo and placement - i know a lot of people have spent lots of time perfecting it, and I am not looking to reinvent the wheel.

1100# in the locker and 370 tube sac under the seats wedge 2 clicks up from the bottom. running 10.5 for beginners and 11 for people who can go ropeless.. start there and make minor tweeks ..

Would a 1100lb fit in a 2004 vlx rear locker. Right now I have a 750lb back there. Wonder how much more I could weight I coul get out of an 1100lb bag since the 750lb bag seems to almost fill the locker completely.

you will want to add the 1,100# sac instead of the 750# sac.

I already have a pair of the 750's, figured I would try this first and see what happens. Will the 1100# sac actually fit into the locker of a VLX? Never thought you could actually fill that entirely up with the space limitations.

Thanks

Speed up

There is absolutely no need for additional weight to surf....better...of course...but not needed.

Speed up

There is absolutely no need for additional weight to surf....better...of course...but not needed.

I dont agree. I own a 2010 VLX and the surf wake sucks with out any additional ballast unless you have 14 people in the boat...

Regular Side:

750 in locker

400 on rear corner seat

400 on seat in front of the other 400

MLS full (except non surf side)

Wedge a few clicks from all the way down

Goofy Side is identical except I get alot of cavitation unless I move a 400 to the bow.. It brings the bow down as well..

I get a really clean wave with this configuration. I ride a phase 5 prop and weigh about 170lbs...

Get some weight...

I dont agree. I own a 2010 VLX and the surf wake sucks with out any additional ballast unless you have 14 people in the boat...

Regular Side:

750 in locker

400 on rear corner seat

Goofy Side is identical except I get alot of cavitation unless I move a 400 to the bow.. It brings the bow down as well..

I get a really clean wave with this configuration. I ride a phase 5 prop and weigh about 170lbs...

Get some weight...

I second Ryan's post! His wake is amazing with this set up. Yes you can kinda surf without any additonal weight but its really kinda sucks, doesnt matter what speed. I have tried both my VTX and a friends LSV without additional weight and while I could surf it was a hell of a lot of work and not much fun!

Thanks

The surf setting that Malibu sets up sucks. I think they have almost full wedge. Move the wedge all the way down or a few clicks up. The wave will be much cleaner, and of course more weight!

Thanks guys. I will definitely try your suggestions. I have a few sacs from my old set up and can borrow some from friends to play with it a bit.

Regular Side:

750 in locker

400 on rear corner seat

Get some weight...

I didn't say it was the best ever without weight just not necessary. With the OP's description of the wake, it's a speed issue.

I didn't say it was the best ever without weight just not necessary. With the OP's description of the wake, it's a speed issue.

I guess a guy could pull his boat with a Ford Ranger as well if he wanted to. Just not the same is it.

• 1 month later...

I just put enough hours on the boat to start using full surf ballast. I have the 750 lb bags in the rear ski lockers and the stock MLS system. I am trying to get it dialed in with this setup, here is what I am doing right now:

750 lb ski locker, MLS hard tank and front center with wedge either all the way down or not even deployed. I am using the Maliview Surf right/left setup along with the 750lb bag. Will it help to add more center weight and fill up the additional MLS tank? The Maliview surf right/left does not fill up both center tanks.... the wake is pretty nice with this setup, would like the pocket to extend out a little more.... definitely can free surf with no problems as is.

If anyone has any feedback would be appreciated.... I really dont want to have any more bags laying all over the seats of the boat, this system is all sub-floor and in ski lockers with Johnson impeller pumps for 750's... trying to get the best wake with this set-up. I am considering 400 lbs of led weight (50 lb handle bags) possibly for additional weight.

Edited by Fman
  • 2 years later...

I just put enough hours on the boat to start using full surf ballast. I have the 750 lb bags in the rear ski lockers and the stock MLS system. I am trying to get it dialed in with this setup, here is what I am doing right now:

750 lb ski locker, MLS hard tank and front center with wedge either all the way down or not even deployed. I am using the Maliview Surf right/left setup along with the 750lb bag. Will it help to add more center weight and fill up the additional MLS tank? The Maliview surf right/left does not fill up both center tanks.... the wake is pretty nice with this setup, would like the pocket to extend out a little more.... definitely can free surf with no problems as is.

If anyone has any feedback would be appreciated.... I really dont want to have any more bags laying all over the seats of the boat, this system is all sub-floor and in ski lockers with Johnson impeller pumps for 750's... trying to get the best wake with this set-up. I am considering 400 lbs of led weight (50 lb handle bags) possibly for additional weight.

Did this set up work for you?

Anyone else got any pointers on getting the 11 dialed in?