Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrade Alternator on my 98 Response LX

FLShawn

Can anyone give some input on upgrading my alternator for my 98 Response LX?

Want to replace it with something with more AMPS?

Links or part numbers even would be GREAT!!

Any help is appreciated!!!

And, have them put a slightly smaller pulley on it. This will make the alt. spin faster at all times and get you about 10 amps more out of her. This is definitely your best bet and cheapest way to get more power.

Can anyone give some input on upgrading my alternator for my 98 Response LX?

Want to replace it with something with more AMPS?

Links or part numbers even would be GREAT!!

Any help is appreciated!!!

You can upgrade but need to swap out alternator brackets and upgrade your charge wire, If your boat was wired with 2 Awg they you don't have to worry about upgrading the Ground & Positive Cable.

Should be able to have it rebuilt into a 70 Amp from the 50 Amp it is right now (you still need to upgrade the charge wire for the increased amperage)

-Paul

upgrade your charge wire,

True dat. Forgot to mention that.

Should be able to have it rebuilt into a 70 Amp from the 50 Amp it is right now (you still need to upgrade the charge wire for the increased amperage)

Paul,

Are you sure a 98 boat is running a 50A alt. and not a 70A?

True dat. Forgot to mention that.

Paul,

Are you sure a 98 boat is running a 50A alt. and not a 70A?

True DAT! LOL!! ROFL.gif I don't know why that was so funny but I got a good laugh out of that Pete.

You made me second guess myself, a 98' is running a 55 amp alternator. I just checked all my old service school notes, 70 amp alternators didn't make a presence until 2003 from what i can tell.

-Paul

Update:

Spoke to the guys at Bakes...Good suggestion...Very knowledgeable and got everything I needed :rockon:

Still need to do some digging on that wiring to make sure the wire run is upgraded and capable of giving me the most bang.

Any insight into that would be sweet!!! I see where it comes off the alternator with 3 wires.

from there, they are in a loom that joins other looms and runs back in to the ECM box...from there, I'm lost.

Guessing I can strip and rip on the looms and chase away but if it's been done before and someone has suggestions, I'm all ears!!

Thanks for all the input and for taking the time comment!!

I know this guy that ran an additional wire off the main terminal off the back of the alt. to the starter's main terminal.

He used some beefy wire and soldered and heat shrink wrapped all connections with marine grade shrink wrap.

He seemed like he knew what he was doing at the time.

Update:

Spoke to the guys at Bakes...Good suggestion...Very knowledgeable and got everything I needed :rockon:

Still need to do some digging on that wiring to make sure the wire run is upgraded and capable of giving me the most bang.

Any insight into that would be sweet!!! I see where it comes off the alternator with 3 wires.

from there, they are in a loom that joins other looms and runs back in to the ECM box...from there, I'm lost.

Guessing I can strip and rip on the looms and chase away but if it's been done before and someone has suggestions, I'm all ears!!

Thanks for all the input and for taking the time comment!!

Paul is talking about the big a** wire hooked to your batteries from the alternator. I would change that out to no less than 0 awg marine tinned wire if you have a long run to the battery. If the batteries are in the back of the boat close to the alternator 2 awg is fine.

• 1 month later...

I put a 105 in my '98 Sunsetter, here is the link to the post; this has the link to the place where I bought the alt too, only cost me about $50. Good luck, feel free to PM me is you have any questions. You'll have to run a heavier wire back from the alternater for this one as well, but if it's the same engine as mine you can use the stock bracket and belt. I did have to grid my alt mount slightly, though that was more fit preference then nessesity.

Why are you upgrading the alternator? 50 to 70 amps isnt much an upgrade? Does your alternator have a V-belt or serpentene belt drives? Remember, single V belts are limited to about a 80 amp alternator, over that you need double belts or the sepetine belt. Balmar has great info avalible.

Paul is talking about the big a** wire hooked to your batteries from the alternator. I would change that out to no less than 0 awg marine tinned wire if you have a long run to the battery. If the batteries are in the back of the boat close to the alternator 2 awg is fine.

I think the "charge wire" that Paul is referring to is the wire off of the alternator that runs to the starter. The pos and neg runs to the battery start there, not directly from the alternator.