Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floating Wedge conversion

Surfer Dude

Considering converting my manual wedge to a floating wedge. My limited understanding it that it could give me a better wake while I have my ballast weighted for a goofy side surf wake.

#1 is it posible?

#2 Pros / Cons?

#3 Can I buy the parts or plans and make /install it my self?

May be a discussion out there by I couldn't find it. Got additional ballast for Christmas will check it out this spring. Floating wedge will be a fall project.

#1) yes, it's possible and, in fact, relatively easy, despite what some dealer's will tell you

#2) pro: well-constructed device with nice, chromed finish, and, as yet, no reports of failures; better resale at some point in the future;

better control in turns/double-ups; arguably better wake for surfing and wakeboarding

con: price ($1100-ish if self-installed)

#3) yes, you can buy the parts (periodically listed on ebay), and the floater bolts in using the exact same holes as the fixed wedge

See here for detailed review

Edited by srab

#1) yes, it's possible and, in fact, relatively easy, despite what some dealer's will tell you

#2) pro: well-constructed device with nice, chromed finish, and, as yet, no reports of failures; better resale at some point in the future;

better control in turns/double-ups; arguably better wake for surfing and wakeboarding

#3) yes, you can buy the parts (periodically listed on ebay), and the floater bolts in using the exact same holes as the fixed wedge

I agree with srab. I converted my fixed wedge to the floating and every thing lined up great. Pretty easy conversion. I purchased the floating wedge mount off ebay, and the wedge itself from Bakes. I ended up selling my old fixed wedge, and my net cost was around $800. It looks alot nicer that the fixed wedge, and i like the shape of the wave it creates for surfing.

See My link here for

detailed review

Very well constructed. It's not chrome, it's polished stainless which much better. Rockon.gif

I agree with srab. I converted my fixed wedge to the floating and every thing lined up great. Pretty easy conversion. I purchased the floating wedge mount off ebay, and the wedge itself from Bakes. I ended up selling my old fixed wedge, and my net cost was around $800. It looks alot nicer that the fixed wedge, and i like the shape of the wave it creates for surfing.

JTV, was the mount that you purchased on Ebay a single item that somebody was selling or did you buy it from a company that is making them? I ask because I am interested in making the conversion and can't seem to find the mounts on ebay?

• 1 year later...

Anyone know where to get the floating wedge mount these days for a conversion? Hit a log with my manual wedge and I figure that I may as well upgrade! I know bakes has everything but the mount.

Thanks,

I was shown by a malibu dealer to just take a bolt and nut on each side of the maunal wedge plate where it cant lock in the down position and I would basically have a manual wedge like on the axis it makes sense to me but I have not tried it what do you all think