Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just Bought a 2002 Sunsetter for $1800!!

99response

Good Plan.

How about some background ?

Did you buy this from an insurance company or adjuster ?

Was anybody hurt in the wreck ?

Are the pictures taken at the previous owner's house, where it may have been weather exposed for some time ?

When /where / why did this mishap occur ?

Was the previous owner ininsured ?

Or did the P.O. get a settlement and bought the boat back as salvage from the insurance company ?

In any event you made a good decision. There have been folks on this forum in need of a trailer and that will get you to break even all by itself.

Nice move !

Good Plan.

How about some background ?

Did you buy this from an insurance company or adjuster ?

Was anybody hurt in the wreck ?

Are the pictures taken at the previous owner's house, where it may have been weather exposed for some time ?

When /where / why did this mishap occur ?

Was the previous owner ininsured ?

Or did the P.O. get a settlement and bought the boat back as salvage from the insurance company ?

In any event you made a good decision. There have been folks on this forum in need of a trailer and that will get you to break even all by itself.

Nice move !

Here we go

Boat was used at a childrens camp, I've actually owned a boat from there before

Salvage yard sold me the boat, boat was declared total loss by the insurance company (good call)

No one was hurt

That's my house, boat now has a cover on it, but was obviously outside for some time sans cover. Boat was winterized and full of the RV antifreeze when I got it. Naturally I drained all of it out - I practice what I preach.

Boat on boat collision is all I know, beyond that your guess is as good as mine

Is that the tach with the PP display? Me and my dealer have been looking for one ... I think he might have found one though. Let me know.

Edited by MalibuNation

No its the old style that came with boats of that era, it is the flat wedge for use with diamond hull boats.

-Chris

I'd be interested in the foil - already have the plate.

Is that the tach with the PP display? Me and my dealer have been looking for one ... I think he might have found one though. Let me know.

:no: Nope - that's the standard tach. No servo assembly mounted to the starboard exhaust manifold cooling hose either (though it is odd that there are two hose clamps there where you'd expect to find the servo). Looks to me like that boat wasn't equipped with PP.

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

I could be interested in the fuel system or complete engine. I like the idea of getting rid of my carb. Any idea on prices? Are you gonna get it running?

Some dealer needs to cut that hull in half down the middle and mount it to the wall in their show room :rockon:

I would LOVE to buy a boat like that and retro fit the entire running gear / electronics into my Skier. :thumbup:

Martin: It has that old PP cruise module and control panel, but no servo. PP does not make any parts for that old cruise system anymore. Last time I had to upgrade one PP gave me a deal it was in the $400 range for a new master module and display.

Bill: I'm going to part it out

MalibuNation: boat did not fire up, someone nabbed the fuel pump off it, a can of black spraypaint and some degreaser that engine will look alot better than it does now.

Panic : UPS and Fedex are wonderful things, PM me.

Stroker: I'll cut it up with the saw and then into a dumpster, I think a wood chipper would make you itch for a week.

Cool. I got a broken PP display (old tach style) from a member in the freebie thread. I tore it apart and found a bad solder joint and patched it up, but have been looking for a cheap master module/cruise module and panel to use as a test unit to see if it's worth buying a servo for.

Let me know if you want to dump them. I have no idea what I need to interface to my display. LOL.gif

I have one of those if you want to pm me an offer.

i posted a picture a while back but can't find it right now.

What is that thingy attached to the starboard side bow rail?

I would have bought it in a heartbeat as well...I would inquire about the glass work before taking parts off of it. A local guy here bought a 35ish foot long Baja, twin 502's, and with very similar type damage for less than 5K. He is a body shop guru by trade, and also does great fiberglass work. He reparied it and you would never know it was damaged. Maybe a few grand in fiberglass work and you triple your money.

VHF Radio antenna mount

Everyone else on the parts I'll get in touch with you via PM, won't be until tomorrow afternoon though.

I don't want this thread to derail into a parts wanted/for sale - I will put one of those up in due time.

Lets keep to more constructive comments on the merits of duck tape as a hull fix, and how to keep your boat pine sent fresh.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

What is that thingy attached to the starboard side bow rail?

I would have bought it in a heartbeat as well...I would inquire about the glass work before taking parts off of it. A local guy here bought a 35ish foot long Baja, twin 502's, and with very similar type damage for less than 5K. He is a body shop guru by trade, and also does great fiberglass work. He reparied it and you would never know it was damaged. Maybe a few grand in fiberglass work and you triple your money.

did it sit like a fully loaded surf boat in the water? you could probably get away with it in a boat that size, but in a ski boat, if would be extremely hard to repair that hull to a decent standard IMO. I would like to see it done though.

Chris,

I knew you'd only be boat-less for so long....but this isn't what I had in mind...actually not surprised. I think I almost bought that boat from ECF a few years back...looked a bit nicer back then. Someone will enjoy upgrading to that adjustable bolster seat.

Edited by davemac