Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

@$%!!X - Oil FIlter!

I'm joining the @$%! filter club today. New 2015 VTX, first oil change, remote filter on the Indmar 5.7L engine. first I can't even get my metal belt strap wrench on the filter without disassembling half the boat. After I finally got it onto the filter, I bent the handle on the filter wrench and then it slips before it moves. I actually think if I can find a piece of rubber to put inbetween the filter and the wrench, It might turn. Otherwise, I'm off to buy another wrench.

I knew this thread was here, but need to read through it again to figure which wrench is the best one to buy. (Or borrow, if any of you SE Mich guys are reading this and have the one that will get this off!)

Does the 2012 VTX have the remote filter location up high on the starboard side, up against the seat back? I took the front plastic divider off (not the main one that comes off easy), and the carpeted panel in the front of the storage bay. I'm still not sure if there would be enough room to get channel locks in there. I've got a decent sized pair that I can try tomorrow. I've got the Exhaust manifold on one side and the fuel filler pipe on the other blocking access. I had to remove the filter base just to get some wiggle room to get the wrench on, and then reassemble it to hold it in place.

Edited by Badger

I just came in from trying one last time. I was able to get a big pair of channel locks on it. I had the bracket blocked with wood in 2 different directions but still couldn't budge the filter without twisting the bracket and running out of room to turn the channel locks.

The boat is actually being stored at the dealer for this winter at least. I think it's going to go in as a "warranty" item. I'll supply the filter and the new oil and hopefully we won't have to argue about the cost of taking the filter off.

According to my dealer, this is a known issue. Almost seems like they put it on at the factory without any lubrication. I went through the same thing. Ultimately, I had to take off the adapter, put it in a vice, and use a chisel with a hammer get it to finally break loose. Screwed up a weekend for me.

20150805_134210_zpsacqwazby.jpg

Does Indmar ship each engine full of oil and with an oil filter? ANd when Indmar gets the engines from GM, do they not have the oil and filter? Trying to trace the source of the problem. Whether it be GM or Indmar. And if the source of the problem is Indmar, maybe have them replace the muscle bound freakazoid installing the oil filters, with 98 pound weakling. thinking outside the box

Does Indmar ship each engine full of oil and with an oil filter? ANd when Indmar gets the engines from GM, do they not have the oil and filter? Trying to trace the source of the problem. Whether it be GM or Indmar. And if the source of the problem is Indmar, maybe have them replace the muscle bound freakazoid installing the oil filters, with 98 pound weakling. thinking outside the box

As has been said before - even owner installed filters that are lubed properly are a huge pain in the rear to get off. I hand tighten them each fall and have to crush and remove the next fall. Why? Who knows.

• Like 1

It is on Indmar. The engines shipped from GM do not have the remote adapter on them, that is done by Indmar.

• Like 1

As has been said before - even owner installed filters that are lubed properly are a huge pain in the rear to get off. I hand tighten them each fall and have to crush and remove the next fall. Why? Who knows.

I have wondered the same. I do oil filters on cars all the time and non are as tough as the boat filters that I put on myself.

I have wondered the same. I do oil filters on cars all the time and non are as tough as the boat filters that I put on myself.

I'm thinking that as an experiment this year I might try some copper anti-sieze on the gasket and see what happens.

Perhaps using a different/better lubricant on the oil filter seal would work better than the typical film of motor oil. No matter how much oil I put on that seal, the boat filter is always harder to take off than any of my vehicles.

might try a lithium or Teflon grease instead of motor oil this year.

OJ beat me to it...

Edited by DIE2SURF
  • Like 1

I'm thinking that as an experiment this year I might try some copper anti-sieze on the gasket and see what happens.

Funny I was going to use a high temp wheel bearing grease.

I went out and tried to get the tubes out of the adapter and couldn't easily do that either!

Go to NAPA and get the socket style oil filter wrench cap. Assuming you haven't crushed it. The filter will come off no problem.

Have some time off between clients today so I figured I'd get the filter off and finish the oil change. Not too bad, but still required a slight crush and a strong hand with the channel locks. I will say that I tried the ziplock suggestion and that worked really well. Normally I just stick a folgers can under the filter and then clean up the few drips that get on the hoses - nothing to clean this time.

post-22501-0-83161200-1446048359_thumb.j

Edited by oldjeep

Go to NAPA and get the socket style oil filter wrench cap. Assuming you haven't crushed it. The filter will come off no problem.

Mine just rounded the end of the filter. Then the strap crushed it. Will find out tonight if the one I put on there is as bad.

Mine just rounded the end of the filter. Then the strap crushed it. Will find out tonight if the one I put on there is as bad.

The strap kind broke on me , awful. But the socket style works like a champ. Never have had any issues. There is a specific size you need, I also didn't get the one they had in the store I had them order the highest quality one they had.

Well, the Mobil 1 filter I had put on was tough to get off, too. Not as bad as the one that came with it, new. But tough.

That said, I tried a new type of oil filter wrench, and it worked very, very well.

20151029_180335_zpsca3jaonu.jpg

ahopkins22LSV

I changed my oil last night and my oil filter spun off easily. I was shocked because it never has done that before. Almost made me concerned because it has never come off that easily. Engine was cold and filter is the Napa Gold 1060. Hand tightened the new one just like I always do, we shall see in 50 hours if it comes off easily again. My guess is no though :lol:

I had the same worry after the intense struggle getting the factory filter off. But to my luck, my first installed filter came off after two swears. I hand tightened my next filter the same way, then I add a small strength twist just to ensure its on tight.

Always check for leaks once you fire it up! :biggrin: