Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

@$%!!X - Oil FIlter!

Everything with the annual winterization went well, except for the oil filter. It absolutely will not come off.

The filter wrench crinkeled it.

I tried the "punch a screwdriver through the side" process - wouldn't budge.

I tried to tighten it a little and see if it would break loose - nuthin.

I used appropriate language - no help.

Gonna take it to the dealer Monday and see what they can do.

I may have to turn in my man-card.

Once you turn in your man card...

Hit it with your purse. :rofl:

That was my first thought :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It seems to be the trend lately., You know it is bad when a bunch of guys on a boat site know what a clutch is :crazy::rofl:

Edited by REW

I couldn't get mine off either. Should be a NO brainer. Took it to within about 4lbs. pressure of crinkling mine too.

I'll think about it a bunch, and try again in spring. Wonder if trying it warm, or frozen, would be better?

Let us know how it works out Soon.

Steve B.

(guess I lost my man card too...for the 100000 time)

Once you do get it off and are putting a new one on...

Be sure to coat the rubber gasket/seal with clean oil and don't over-tighten it. I've got a buddy that tightens his down with a filter wrench and then wonders why it is such a Behar to get off. ~ ¼ turn after the seal first touches is all it takes.

Be sure to coat the rubber gasket/seal with clean oil and don't over-tighten it. I've got a buddy that tightens his down with a filter wrench and then wonders why it is such a Behar to get off. ~ ¼ turn after the seal first touches is all it takes.

:plus1:

Where do you live in Indiana? I live in Fortville. I have some tool to remove it.. You are welcome to borrow mine if it is 't far.. PM me..

Right on for the re-installation.

For removal I use one of these....they are freaking awesome for filters and fuel/water separators or anything else that is shaped like a cylinder, difficult to remove, and you don't want to harm or scratch it.

The giant channel locks work for me. Buy quality, the cheap ones will let you down. Sometimes it comes down to stripping away the entire filter housing and using a home made tool sorta shaped like an F. The fingers on the F go into the oil passage holes in the base of the filter. You can make the tool with some flat stock and a couple of bolts. I hope I explained that well because at some point it may be your only option.

For removal I use one of these....they are freaking awesome for filters and fuel/water separators or anything else that is shaped like a cylinder, difficult to remove, and you don't want to harm or scratch it.

I have that same one, it works awesome. :rockon:

I used it on my buddys F150 when he couldnt get his off, he had already tried wacking a screwdriver through it etc... :rofl:

Edited by Levi900RR

I have that same one, it works awesome. :rockon:

I used it on my buddys F150 when he couldnt get his off, he had already tried wacking a screwdriver through it etc... :rofl:

Yeah - the big red one is a commonly used tool in my garage. Biggrin.gif

:plus1:

Kind of hard to explain without pics.......but if you totally remove the housing (if you get to that point) you will find that the remaining portion will have a series of holes like 6 or 8. You can use a spanner wrench to remove the rest of the filter using those holes.

Kind of hard to explain without pics.......but if you totally remove the housing (if you get to that point) you will find that the remaining portion will have a series of holes like 6 or 8. You can use a spanner wrench to remove the rest of the filter using those holes.

Oh and I have no idea why the filters are so hard to get off of boats. I doesn't happen on any of my cars but the boat is always tons of fun. Never ripped a filter yet though. :)

What kind of filter wrench did you use to try to get it off? I had the same problem and crushed the filter this fall with a cheap adjustable oil filter wrench. Went to the auto parts store and found a nicer filter wrench with a 1" band so it grabbed more of the filter and the filter came off.

post-134-004596900 1289152193_thumb.jpg

Although I never have problems with My own oil filters, I have 3 different types of filter wrenches in the shop at work. The Channel lock type works pretty good on some of the stubborn heavy equipment filters we deal with.

post-149-085176300 1289157396_thumb.jpg

What kind of filter wrench did you use to try to get it off? I had the same problem and crushed the filter this fall with a cheap adjustable oil filter wrench. Went to the auto parts store and found a nicer filter wrench with a 1" band so it grabbed more of the filter and the filter came off.

That's similar to what I use, I think the trick is to get the band up as high as possible on the filter to keep from mangling it. It's tight up there but you just need to spin it a little to break it loose and then you can move it down. Re-install hand tight + 1/4 turn.

Filter removed - the dealer took care of it for me - my only expense was the drive there and back.

Not sure what they did or how they removed it - i had to leave it and go back.

EDIT - I got a big-a$$ wrench and manhandled the filter into submission. Then I threw it against the wall to prove my point.

The replacement filter got so scared it installed itself.

The Sears strap did not work, but I am glad to have the set in my tool box.

Next purchase will be the Channel Lock pliers.

So anyway, winterizing all done - fresh oil, a filter.

This Friday it is back to Tennessee to the storage building :cry:

Edited by Soon2BV

Ha!! They didn't even charge you for it!! That's funny but cool of them. Could you tell they were trying to hold back their laughter? What are you planning on doing all winter with no mancard? Maybe cook some great new meals for the holidays, go shopping and update your wardrobe (I'll bet you need a new purse), or redecorate the house :biggrin:

:cheers: ....I'll take one when you get a chance...

Edited by Ndawg12