Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just bought a GoPro HD hero

Huelsmma

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scott_fx

• martinarcher

• shawndoggy

• Bill_AirJunky

REI dividends just got issued today, and there's usually a 20% off coupon in the packet.

for an inexpensive editor for the PC, I'd take a look at this: http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Editor.aspx It does well with high def codecs and has all sorts of output options. Crashed on me a lot less than Pinnacle.

IMHO, nothing beats imovie, though. Here's one from yesterday (sorry 06vlx, no kneeboard content yet):

That's a sweet video. What setting(s) did you shoot that video with? Set me straight on something, with my other editing software (Panasonic something or other) the biggest pain was converting each clip. If the software I mentioned above doesn't require each clip to be converted will I actually save time or will the whole thing have to be converted later? About how long did it take you to convert and cut down that run into a 55 second video?

Forgot to ask. Has anyone tried the LCD Bacpac yet? Looks like a must have to keep it from solely being a POV style camera.

That's a sweet video. What setting(s) did you shoot that video with? Set me straight on something, with my other editing software (Panasonic something or other) the biggest pain was converting each clip. If the software I mentioned above doesn't require each clip to be converted will I actually save time or will the whole thing have to be converted later? About how long did it take you to convert and cut down that run into a 55 second video?

Vid setting was "3," the 60fps 720p mode. I always shoot in that mode so that I can keep resolution in slo-mo.

I did my editing on a Mac. Takes about 3:1 to import, then edit in realtime.

On a PC, the big issue is whether your computer has the processing horsepower to edit the h264 files in realtime.

hey guys, heres a vid i made with my go pro. i set the go pro to take a photo every 5 seconds, then put them into sony vega and made a time lapse out of it.

hope you enjoy.

hey guys, heres a vid i made with my go pro. i set the go pro to take a photo every 5 seconds, then put them into sony vega and made a time lapse out of it.

hope you enjoy.

Awesome idea, good filler for film.

Edited by BlitzedVLX

All very cool videos, I just got mine last night and am heading up to Crested Butte this weekend for the inaugural run with it. Lots of good ideas on here (read: I'm not the most productive I've ever been in the office), thanks

hope you enjoy.

Cool video!

Dude, you need to get a ski mirror! I bet your neck is sore after turing around all day. :tease2:

All very cool videos, I just got mine last night and am heading up to Crested Butte this weekend for the inaugural run with it. Lots of good ideas on here (read: I'm not the most productive I've ever been in the office), thanks

Ahh good ol' Crusty Butt...should be an epic weekend. Weather is calling for highs in the 40s with a chance of snow. :rockon:

Cool video!

Dude, you need to get a ski mirror! I bet your neck is sore after turing around all day. :tease2:

We have a big mirror, I jut prefer to have a look back and actually see how the rider is riding. I can really see all that well through a mirror because I have bad eyes. So looking back it's just easier for me haha

Forgot to ask. Has anyone tried the LCD Bacpac yet? Looks like a must have to keep it from solely being a POV style camera.

Just got the LCD Bacpac this week and picked up the GoPro two weeks ago. I'd say it's worth the purchase ($79). I had to upgrade the software on the camera to make it work. Only took a couple of minutes. Also, it comes with 4 different cases. Two for regular use and two for with the wrist attachment. It will be nice to do play backs on the spot.

Just got the LCD Bacpac this week and picked up the GoPro two weeks ago. I'd say it's worth the purchase ($79). I had to upgrade the software on the camera to make it work. Only took a couple of minutes. Also, it comes with 4 different cases. Two for regular use and two for with the wrist attachment. It will be nice to do play backs on the spot.

I was thinking of picking up the lcd also. It would be cool to review vids on the spot and you cant beat it since it includes the housing. Only thing I am worried about is battery life.

have any of you done the lens mod (swapping the wide lens for a longer one)?

I haven't even heard of it. Do you know of any details? Websites?

Seems like it would be tough since there is a lens on the camera & a lens on the case.

this was where i first read about it. makes it more friendly to shoot from the boat.

http://www.aplanding.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37849&postcount=89

See post 65 in this thread. The microseven lens will not work!!

The lens used is from Sunex. Its not listed on their site as its a custom design.

part number: DSL355A-650-F2.8 with IR cut off filter.

http://www.optics-online.com/

I sent a request by email and then made a phone call to them after which they shipped me one. Cost was 49dollars. Only problem is they insist on FedEx so shipping to Ireland cost more than the lens!!

FOV is 80 and 100degrees depending on shooting mode.

It's the only option I could find that will work on the GoPro. I think it was worth it.

Origional lens is loctited pretty good!!! The case opens by removing four screws. tutorial on case opening is posted on youtube. You need to do this to remove the front cover to allow the lens thread off.

Wrap the origional lens body in some masking tape to protect it and unscrew it. Once unscrewed care must be taken not to allow any of the old loctite fall down on the sensor. The thread is extremely fine so it's very easy to cross thread the new lens. If you feel any resistance on the first few turns when putting on the new lens then back it off clean the threads and try again. I just eyeballed it and took it slowly. I also cleaned the threads in the camera housing before I started to try and remove the old loctite.

Next you need to hook up the output to a HD TV and enable live view so you can adjust the focus of the new lens.

Interesting. So does this lens screw into the waterproof case itself or into the camera? I wouldn't want to compromise the waterproof ability.

Interesting. So does this lens screw into the waterproof case itself or into the camera? I wouldn't want to compromise the waterproof ability.

into the camera housing itself.. looks like its mainly used to remove fisheye

http://www.higherfilm.com/2011/01/21/mod-gopro-with-sunex-lens-removes-fisheye/

here is another

http://ragecams.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/56/products_id/300

Edited by BlitzedVLX
martinarcher

After re-watching that vid it looks like the new lens is longer than the original and probably why the guy in Bill's link made the rather nasty looking mod to his Go-Pro's case to re-waterproof it and fit the new lens under the cover.

The picture looks way better with the lens replacement. Too bad it wasn't short enough to fit under the original housing.

After re-watching that vid it looks like the new lens is longer than the original and probably why the guy in Bill's link made the rather nasty looking mod to his Go-Pro's case to re-waterproof it and fit the new lens under the cover.

The picture looks way better with the lens replacement. Too bad it wasn't short enough to fit under the original housing.

id almost guarantee that you could make a modified case that was waterproof and not fugly. a little clear or black acrylic tube, some acrylic glue and you'd be good to go... silicone isn't very modification friendly. :\

i think the mod is worthwhile. i think i'll be hacking into my camera...when i get one :)

Edited by scott_fx
martinarcher

id almost guarantee that you could make a modified case that was waterproof and not fugly. a little clear or black acrylic tube, some acrylic glue and you'd be good to go

I was already thinking the same thing. Certainly something you could work around. I know with your dash making skills you could certainly make one.

martinarcher

id almost guarantee that you could make a modified case that was waterproof and not fugly. a little clear or black acrylic tube, some acrylic glue and you'd be good to go... silicone isn't very modification friendly. :\

i think the mod is worthwhile. i think i'll be hacking into my camera...when i get one :)

I hear ya. Now I not only need to buy a Go-Pro, but need to buy a lens, and acrylic parts to re-work the case. :Doh:

martinarcher

I bought one of these this winter and think it might do the trick. It's totally waterproof without an extra case like the Go-Pro.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1497

I need to come up with a mount for it. It has a tri-pod "port" so I should be able to come up with something. It takes awesome pics too. Thumbup.gif

I bought one of these this winter and think it might do the trick. It's totally waterproof without an extra case like the Go-Pro.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1497

I need to come up with a mount for it. It has a tri-pod "port" so I should be able to come up with something. It takes awesome pics too. Thumbup.gif

where do you want to mount it? tower or board/person?

edit: maybe this is going off topic too much. pm me if you want help brainstorming.

Edited by scott_fx