Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just bought a GoPro HD hero

Huelsmma

Picked it up with the helmet mount/strap and 2 stylea of board mount (surf hero, fin mount). Lets hope the leash holds up and i dont lose the f*er. I need to find a float that doesnt look hideous. I got this to help me correct bad habits and improve my riding.

Next big purchase will b a weeklong trip to The Wakeboard Camp here in FL before spring.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scott_fx

• martinarcher

• shawndoggy

• Bill_AirJunky

Very cool. Love mine. :rockon:

It's my 3rd POV camera of some kind. Definitely takes the best shots of anything I've seen. I find that my head bobs too much as I'm riding to give a descent picture, plus I'm not always looking forward. For this reason I like the chest strap. The shot is way steadier. And the perspective is good, hands are in the bottom of the shot, gives everyone an idea of what I see.

Your going to need a pretty fast machine to edit the video. My Athlon 1.5 with 2 gig of ram isn't even close to enough. I can grab screen shots, but editing a video is not even close. but my work laptop, is an Intel 2 gig CPU with 2 gig of ram & will edit it a little better.

I have some good video of a ride I did at the Oroville WOW. I need to cut it down & put it online though. Heres a shot I got with it mounted on the front of my SUP though.

billfrankie3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

*cough* post some vids *cough*

Here is one I posted in Sept. Won't be as cool as Bill's skyski though.

There are some cool ideas on Youtube also - on the end of a Lacrosse stick:

There was another vid where a wakeboarder stuck a broom handle in the back of his vest and mounted the camera on the stick so it was a couple of feet above his head but can't find that one.

Edited by MalibuTime

Shyea, whatever. Cool video nevertheless. I just wish Priest looked that sweet anytime I ever went. :crazy:

I need to upgrade my computer. Editing those videos is painful.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Shyea, whatever. Cool video nevertheless. I just wish Priest looked that sweet anytime I ever went. :crazy:

I need to upgrade my computer. Editing those videos is painful.

I hear ya there. This box is Vista, and well, it does everything sucky. As for your vid, I gave it such high ratings without seeing it because I am expecting some inverted action shots! :rockon:

As for Priest, rarely have I had mornings that are not smooth, and just as rare are the afternoons that are not windy.

Edited by MalibuTime

Took to GoPro HD's with me on my cross country trip and the footage they took is amazing. I can't believe the quality a little camera like that has. I played with helmet mounts and surf mounts on the boat and even got some footage with it suction cupped to the tower, on the transom and under the boat! Make sure you have a floaty as they will sink and they can come loose from the mount. Had one fall off while I was at TSR thankfully I had a floaty attached. As a side note GoPro was at surf expo and they have a new mount coming out that houses two cameras and links them togethor so we can start shooting 3d footage! Can't wait!

Just a heads-up, the costco ones are stripped down (on features) it's 960, not 1080. Still will work great and be lots of fun, but, for instance, I don't think you can do 60fps at 720p like the 1080 camera can (a must for slowmo). But just for the fact of the rechargeable battery it's worth the premium over the standard def camera.

Edited by shawndoggy

There was another vid where a wakeboarder stuck a broom handle in the back of his vest and mounted the camera on the stick so it was a couple of feet above his head but can't find that one.

Nice vid of the skiing. Havn't skiid behind our VTX yet. Great job on the song selection too.

Nice vid of the skiing. Havn't skiid behind our VTX yet. Great job on the song selection too.

Thanks, that was @22 off, 28 off is a bit smoother across the wakes.

Man ur right...these files r a pain to edit. Converting all of them first to .avi and theyre 1.6 gb size files b4 te conversion. Makea me want to launch my laptop out the window and buy a mac.

Man ur right...these files r a pain to edit. Converting all of them first to .avi and theyre 1.6 gb size files b4 te conversion. Makea me want to launch my laptop out the window and buy a mac.

LOL I bought a canon vixia hf 100 a couple of years ago which encodes in avchd. If you think the gopro takes some horsepower to edit....

Ended up with a new computer (to edit) and a PS3 (to watch in HD) in addition to the camera.

I want one

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you shouldn't have to worry about it I race sport bikes n it has yet to come off of there n sometime we get well over a 100 MPH. should be good I have also mounted mine on my surfboard that was a pretty awesome take especially if your doing tricks it's neat!

:rockon: Macs forever that's the only computer...

Yeah i lost my helmet mount strap my first trip out before i even put the camera on after a wipeout lol. Have the surfpro mount for the board and now a chesty. Looking forward to when they roll out the screen attachment so u can actually see whats recording!

• 3 months later...

In another thread someone recommended REI as a retail option to purchase the camera due to their return program and their occasional 20% discount. Anyone know of a coupon code or when the next 20% off bonanza will run? They are opening another cable park here in Ft. Worth about 15 minutes from my work so I was thinking about trying out the helmet mount and maybe getting a chest mount too.

What video setting is everyone using? I want to record in 1080, but it looks to only go up to 30 fps. 720 has a 60 fps option, but how much will I sacrfice in actual quality? I want to do some slow-mo backrolls and stuff so I am guessing 60 fps is better for that?

What editing software is everyone using with their GoPro? I was thinking about going with Movie Edit Pro 17 HD by Magix.

http://www.magix.com/us/movie-edit-pro/detail/

This section is what really caught my eye:

"Full HD support MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 17 provides a complete workflow for high-resolution video material – for example from HDV video cameras: Import recordings directly and without any conversion, easily edit the material, and finally burn it to disc. If desired, also with animated menus for DVDs and Blu-ray Discs."

Any other tips before I purchase are welcome as well (besides buy a Mac).

I just bought a new Motorsports GoProHD off of eBay. Got it for $249 to my door. A little cheaper than retail. Anxious to see how it compares to my VIO POV1(non HD) I use Pinnacle Studio for movie editing...anyone else use that for the GoPro? I am a little nervous about not being able to edit. :(

REI dividends just got issued today, and there's usually a 20% off coupon in the packet.

for an inexpensive editor for the PC, I'd take a look at this: http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Editor.aspx It does well with high def codecs and has all sorts of output options. Crashed on me a lot less than Pinnacle.

IMHO, nothing beats imovie, though. Here's one from yesterday (sorry 06vlx, no kneeboard content yet):

I just bought a new Motorsports GoProHD off of eBay. Got it for $249 to my door. A little cheaper than retail. Anxious to see how it compares to my VIO POV1(non HD) I use Pinnacle Studio for movie editing...anyone else use that for the GoPro? I am a little nervous about not being able to edit. :(

I've only used Windows Movie Maker. I converted all the video to AVI using WinFF. Seemed to work pretty easily at that point.

I think the only thing I got in addition to the Motorsports package was the chest mount.... which worked great for a variety of different sports so far. :rockon:

I just got this one on ebay for $225 shipped. I did best offer of $215 and he accepted. I think he has around 8 left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=200580230042&si=96i%252FdUAmitQQgbIavx20vOR4Jgo%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_2132wt_905

Anyone know of a good place to buy a 32gb card?