Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Refinish? Or replace?

Levi900RR

Hey all, just wanted to get your take on weather I should re-finish my trailer or just try and pick up a used one. I planned on stripping mine down, sandblasting it, welding in new plates so I can use LED lights with the rubber grommets, installing all new LED lights and getting it re-painted. My question is... Do you think it will be more cost effective to just try and pick up a new-ish used trailer? Or refinish mine. I like a good project so the idea of re-finishing mine sounds fun. I just dont want to get done and have 400 bucks more in it than if I just found a nice used one.

Thanks

I have always enjoyed a good restoration project. If you have the time, equipment, a structurally sound trailer, and skills, restoring your trailer will cost less than buying a used one and look better too. Don't forget to add an LED lighted MALIBU logo!

I have always enjoyed a good restoration project. If you have the time, equipment, a structurally sound trailer, and skills, restoring your trailer will cost less than buying a used one and look better too. Don't forget to add an LED lighted MALIBU logo!

If you are structurally sound refurbish. The painting will be the most expensive thing you do. Find a local trailer mfg or your local Maaco shop.

It is totally structrually sound. I was planning on cutting out the Malibu logos where the marker lights are right in front of the fenders. Then putting LED's behind. Should be cool!

If you are structurally sound refurbish. The painting will be the most expensive thing you do. Find a local trailer mfg or your local Maaco shop.

For sure, a buddy of mine owns a bodyshop right down the street from me. I should be able to blast it and paint it there. I'm gonna have him do a little body work on one of the fenders.

For sure, a buddy of mine owns a bodyshop right down the street from me. I should be able to blast it and paint it there. I'm gonna have him do a little body work on one of the fenders.

With those resources refurb is the way to go. For me it would be ano brainer.

Yeah man, I think I'm gonna refurb for sure at this point. Anyone have any other cool ideas for stuff I can do? I was thinking about adding some little casters or rollers on the prop guard.

Yeah man, I think I'm gonna refurb for sure at this point. Anyone have any other cool ideas for stuff I can do? I was thinking about adding some little casters or rollers on the prop guard.

Under carriage spare tire mount.

Mount led lighting to the inside of the rails.

I am diggin his guide pole lights. That is on my list! :thumbup:

For sure, I was thinking about putting a few inches at the top of the pole. The water activated switchs are so cool

Edited by Levi900RR

We were out until after dark last night and they rocked for getting the boat home safe on the trailer! I highly recommend it. I know my buddies wife got some good pics of them that I'll have to post after I get them off him.

I want to do the little white lights up the tops of each rail also, kinda like runway lights. Also on a float switch. I just need to get some blocking to put my boat on while I do all this...

I want to do the little white lights up the tops of each rail also, kinda like runway lights. Also on a float switch. I just need to get some blocking to put my boat on while I do all this...

He's got the rope light in white only as well. You can cut it into little strips that would work pretty well for that. Every four inches there is a spot to cut the strip. The cool thing is the strip is completely encased in silicone so it is totally waterproof.

We need before and after pics.

Edit: The pics would only be if you do a re-store. If you buy a new trailer we don’t care. :biggrin:

Edited by WakingMeHappy

I will do my best to document the process. I'm thinking at this point its going to be a spring time project. I'm going to try and line up all the material I need over the winter so I can knock it out quickly in the spring!

Martin, How would you fasten those strips to the trailer?

Oh yeah, and where did you get your float switch?

Edited by Levi900RR

I will do my best to document the process. I'm thinking at this point its going to be a spring time project. I'm going to try and line up all the material I need over the winter so I can knock it out quickly in the spring!

Martin, How would you fasten those strips to the trailer?

Oh yeah, and where did you get your float switch?

It comes with 3M adhesive on the back of the strips. I would drill a small hole in the trailer where the wire poke through into the tube or inside the frame and then silicone the hole closed with clear silicone and use a bit of silicone around the edge of the strip to ensure it doesn't go anywhere. That;s what I did the the strip on the pylon. You can see the clear silicone in the pic if you look close.

For the float switch i just used a bilge pump switch. Here's one.

Here's mine on the trailer.,...

post-7666-094073100 1286916702_thumb.jpg