Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing A Illusion X Tower

Can you remove an illusion tower for storage. I know it is not a simple thing I am suggesting but can it be done for long term storage?

Yes it can be done and isnt all that difficult. You will need at least one other person, preferrably 2 other people. Its not the weight, but just bulky and you dont want to hit the boat with it. There is only 4 bolts, at least on mine that need to be removed. I would remove all wiring first and that may be the pita when you go put it back on the boat. I would leave all wiring in the tower and make connections for them in the boat. That way you wont have to run wiring when you put it back on.

Edited by txdyna65

Getting it actually off of the boat is a 3 person job if you want to be sure. It could be done with 2 big strong people, but when slider & I did ours we had our son help. The front hoop wants to come up or down depending on your balance point, so it's good to have a third there to steady it.

On the springs, my question would be why would you want to? If all you're doing is storing the boat & want to get it in a place that the tower restricts, then you're fine once you've got the top section off. I've never actually pulled the system out, but there is a way to retract everything to get the feet off if that's what you're talking about. I've got the instructions somewhere if you want them....

• 1 year later...

Have a 05 23 LSV my tower is a mess (flaking paint, just bad casting marks and a crack). I want to take the tower off sand blast it, repair it the right way and refinish it proper or maybe powder coat it.

My question is there a master disconnect for all the wiring that runs through the tower(speakers, lights, ect). Is it wired from both sides or one. Do I have to cut and splice all the wiring wire by wire?

Unfortunately it totally depends on the particular boat. If it was ordered from the factory with all of the accessories then it should have the speaker wires run down the port side of the tower and the light wires run down the starboard side. Ultimately though, the dealer is responsible for the prep, so you may find that they used but connectors and you have to cut all of the wires, or you may find they use bullet connectors and you can disconnect everything under the gunnel.

Have a 05 23 LSV my tower is a mess (flaking paint, just bad casting marks and a crack). I want to take the tower off sand blast it, repair it the right way and refinish it proper or maybe powder coat it.

My question is there a master disconnect for all the wiring that runs through the tower(speakers, lights, ect). Is it wired from both sides or one. Do I have to cut and splice all the wiring wire by wire?

So does this mean your buying a Titan? Whistling.gif

So does this mean your buying a Titan? Whistling.gif

I am keeping the tower just trying to to a refurbish. Was hoping that there were quick disconnects for all of the wires. Looks like I have to go the long way. GGRRRRRRRRRR

Edited by rodman

One option:

Depending on wire size.

You could cut your wires and install a flat 4 or flat 5 trailer type disconnect yourself.

As you already know it would be important to not install a smaller size wire at the disconnect you install.

The smallest wire in your run limits the current flow.

Unfortunately it totally depends on the particular boat. If it was ordered from the factory with all of the accessories then it should have the speaker wires run down the port side of the tower and the light wires run down the starboard side. Ultimately though, the dealer is responsible for the prep, so you may find that they used but connectors and you have to cut all of the wires, or you may find they use bullet connectors and you can disconnect everything under the gunnel.

IIRC back in 05 it was not that nice, you will have two speakers and two lights runs on either side of the tower, probably will be butt spliced.

The newer boats finally got it right an ran the lights down the starboard side and the speakers to the port side, I think it was 07 they started doing that but ICBW.

-Chris

If you have it powder coated you will need to pull all wires out and strip the tower of everything. Make sure you remove the front pivit point ball or it will melt in the kiln that comes up to 450 degrees. we are on our third repair right now. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

So, if anyone has tried it, how hard would it be to pull off an illusion X tower (for storage purposes). I really love the VLX boats and I am looking at 05-07 models but I have to have to have to (did I stress that enough) be able to get it into my garage on a regular basis. Even the the garage is plenty wide and almost 24' deep it only has a 6'10" max clearance.

I live in so-cal but even during the summer I would probably be only using it for 2 or 3 days a month.

With all that said, I wouldn't be looking to take the tour "out" of the boat, just looking to disconnect it enough to lay it flat enough to get it into the garage.

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Storing some where else isn't an option and I know I can buy a boat and have the tower changed but I don't really feel like adding $5k to the budget when there are a couple of other nice boats that will fit...

So, if anyone has tried it, how hard would it be to pull off an illusion X tower (for storage purposes). I really love the VLX boats and I am looking at 05-07 models but I have to have to have to (did I stress that enough) be able to get it into my garage on a regular basis. Even the the garage is plenty wide and almost 24' deep it only has a 6'10" max clearance.

I live in so-cal but even during the summer I would probably be only using it for 2 or 3 days a month.

With all that said, I wouldn't be looking to take the tour "out" of the boat, just looking to disconnect it enough to lay it flat enough to get it into the garage.

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Storing some where else isn't an option and I know I can buy a boat and have the tower changed but I don't really feel like adding $5k to the budget when there are a couple of other nice boats that will fit...

Removing the tower is not hard to do. Just fold it down then remove the two forward hinge bolts that the tower pivots on. The hard part is having to lift the tower off and on the boat. It is very awkward and combersome because of the shape and not balanced very well. You will really increase you chances of dropping it on the gelcoat and causing damage. It is diffently a two or three person job.

Maybe consider finding a VLX with a Titan tower that would fold down lower than the illusion X.

I have a 23 LSV sitting on a Extreme trailer and I ran into the same problem. I live in Socal near the beach and the last thing I wanted was to have it sit outside.

I went to the local junk yard and picked up 4 spare tires, they are smaller than the regular tires. (I found them in a Cadillac.)

I put a 2 wheel that swivel on the tongue of the trailer so I can get it as low as possible.

Obviously I lowered the tower as far as possible.

I mounted a electric winch to my garage floor which allows me to pull it straight in.

It sounds like a lot of work but with the right tools I can put the boat in the garage in lees than 30 minutes.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

I went to the local junk yard and picked up 4 spare tires, they are smaller than the regular tires. (I found them in a Cadillac.)

So do you always use the spares or do you change tires everytime you come and go? How much more "height"/clearance are you gaining than just deflating the tire really low?

So do you always use the spares or do you change tires everytime you come and go? How much more "height"/clearance are you gaining than just deflating the tire really low?

I only use the spares to pull it out of the garage. I am not sure the exact clearance I am gaining but my garage opening is 83".

I have a LSV so I think mine may sit a little higher than a VLX. I have to remove my spinner racks also. What part of So Cal are you in?

good luck.

Paul

I have a LSV so I think mine may sit a little higher than a VLX. I have to remove my spinner racks also. What part of So Cal are you in?

good luck.

Paul

Paul, I am in Oceanside. I have heard 1 or 2 people say they have gotten an illusion x in their 7' garage but it is a really expensive gamble so I am trying to explore all my options. The good news is I just spotted an '05 VLX with a Titan tower. The bad news is it is a couple hours from my house and I won't have a chance to look at it for 2 weeks. It might still be there when I am ready...

Larry

Paul, I am in Oceanside. I have heard 1 or 2 people say they have gotten an illusion x in their 7' garage but it is a really expensive gamble so I am trying to explore all my options. The good news is I just spotted an '05 VLX with a Titan tower. The bad news is it is a couple hours from my house and I won't have a chance to look at it for 2 weeks. It might still be there when I am ready...

Larry

Larry,

I am in HB. I guess it comes down to which tower you like. I if I can get a 23 LSV in a 7' garage I do not think you will have any problems getting a VLX in your garage with either tower.

Good luck

Paul

I just have to remove the tow ball to get mine in a 7' garage.If you get an Extreme trailer they are super easy to lower for an additional 1.5" of clearance if needed. :thumbup:

I just have to remove the tow ball to get mine in a 7' garage.If you get an Extreme trailer they are super easy to lower for an additional 1.5" of clearance if needed. :thumbup:

hijack... How deep is you garage? Do have to take the swim step off? Do you have to take the board racks to clear the 7'?

Thanks.

hijack... How deep is you garage? Do have to take the swim step off? Do you have to take the board racks to clear the 7'?

Thanks.

He says almost 24' in the first post...;)

A VLX with the platform off and the swing tongue folded over it'll fit length wise w/ or w/o the power wedge. Here is an article by a Crew member on how to lower an Extreme trailer.

He says almost 24' in the first post...;)

I wasn't asking the orginal poster... :fingerwag:

any way... how deep is you guys garage? I'm still contemplating trying to shoehorn the vlx in our's to get it out of the storage unit.