Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

87' Sunsetter Titan III Tower Project

martinarcher

I went with a minimalist approach to routing the wires into the gunnel. I thought about using some kind of a fitting, but prefer the cleaner look. I was careful to protect against spider cracks - used a very small, fine file to put a chamfer on the edge of the hole at the gel coat, then followed up with fine (1000 grit) sand paper to smooth the edge just a bit more.

That does look clean, but I was worried about enough wire slack to fully fold the tower. I unplugged my connector every time I pull in and out of the garage.

Yeah, since my boat sits on a lift all summer, I only have to worry about lowering the tower to get it in or out of my garage twice a year. That said, I have enough loop there that I can fold the tower no problem. The wire is held under the gunnel and in the tower tube by tie straps pulled tight around the weave that covers the wire. I can push the wire in to minimize the exposed wire, but it won't pull out.

Yeah, since my boat sits on a lift all summer, I only have to worry about lowering the tower to get it in or out of my garage twice a year. That said, I have enough loop there that I can fold the tower no problem. The wire is held under the gunnel and in the tower tube by tie straps pulled tight around the weave that covers the wire. I can push the wire in to minimize the exposed wire, but it won't pull out.

How did you get the tie strap (wire tie?) around the wire inside the tower? Sounds like a good strain relief idea.

Looks great. The monster mounts seem to match up perfect with your modifications. (Sorry about that extra hole near the mount. After being so patient during the rebuild; a careless error was made on the "simple" tower mount measurements. Lesson learned -- Never use a tape measure or drill when you're extremely tired).

It's amazing how different the T3 looks. Really looks sweet! Once again -- the simplest, cleanest designs always seem to be the best. I saw a mastercraft tower in the lane next to me the other day. I forgot how gaudy and over-designed they are. Yuk.

Great project -- I think it's a big update on that boat. I love it when a project idea comes to fruition.

Lots of patience. :biggrin: It is a small wire tie, just have to work it in there. If I had to pull it out though, I could.

LOL.gif That's what I figured unless you took the cut and weld approach like I did. ROFL.gif

Looks great. The monster mounts seem to match up perfect with your modifications. (Sorry about that extra hole near the mount. After being so patient during the rebuild; a careless error was made on the "simple" tower mount measurements. Lesson learned -- Never use a tape measure or drill when you're extremely tired).

It's amazing how different the T3 looks. Really looks sweet! Once again -- the simplest, cleanest designs always seem to be the best. I saw a mastercraft tower in the lane next to me the other day. I forgot how gaudy and over-designed they are. Yuk.

Great project -- I think it's a big update on that boat. I love it when a project idea comes to fruition.

Thanks man. I'm really happy with how it is turning out. I saw the extra hole and wondered about it. LOL.gif Oh well I can pull out the gallon of color matched Spektrum gel I have next spring. Thumbup.gif

Today was a rough day for me.

I headed over to the fabricator to get the tower finished up. The welder TIG welded the inserts in the front hoop. They turned out great. We mounted the tower on the boat and mocked up the connectors. We cut and shaped them with the plasma cutter and the welder then tacked the connectors to the rear hoop.

Before tacking them in he assured me that a TIG would not splatter on the boat. As a precaution, I rented moving blankets from the local U-Haul place and covered the entire interior of the boat. I also removed all the seat bases and left them at home. I watched him weld the front hoop and nothing ever hit the floor or left the tower. It was amazing. I've never seen a TIG at work before.

He tacked up the first connector and everything went great. He started the second one and did one tack, two, and then commented his tip was getting dull and he said he would sharpen it after the last tack before welding them in permanently. As soon as the torch hit the pipe, it blew a hole where he was going to tack it and showered three big embers down on the dogbox immediately burning thee holes in the blanket and catching each place on fire. I immediately put the fire out with my bare hand and pulled the blanket back to reveal three burns in the vinyl! Cry.gif

I'm sick about it and not sure how to proceed. The guys ran out of time and I brought the boat and tower home to work at shaping the other end of the connectors so they mate well with the front hoop.

I need to get the dogbox fixed and not sure how. I guess my worst case is I call Chee and have him make me a new skin for the dogbox and have the local interior shop install it for me. The carpet work on the dogbox insn't exactly impressive to begin with so that might be the best way to go, but this project just got more expensive. :Doh: Another option is to let the local interior shop have a crack at it. It might be a good place to start. I can always go the new skin route of the "fix" doesn't turn out as well as I hope.

What blows my mind is the boss in the shop holding the tower and the welder didn't even comment or say anything about it as I inspected the damage to the vinyl. That kind of ticked me off. I know accidents happen, but jeeze, a sorry about that would have went a long way.

Here's pics I took at the shop.

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

Bummer, man. The 2 little ones can be patched. Not sure about the big one. Might be a bit too much.

Another option...... Make a cover form nice, heavy terrycloth. Custom fit, nice & tight. Could be done for $50-$100.

Might be something you use for a while (till you reupholster or repair) or for a long time. It would be the kind of thing I'd leave on there on really hot, dry days. I always have a towel over the drivers seat & the engine cover in back.

I would think the guy who caused the burn would be responsible for the repair cost. Sound like you took every precaution but he didn't when he said he needed to sharpen the tip.

Sounds like the dude was a friend of yours? not sure you want to hang him on the Vinyl, even though it sounds like it was his fault. If not you should send them a bill.

I would order a skin from Chee, he can match it perfectly (he prolly made that one) and have a local dude install it, you will probably only be out a few hundred bucks. Factor it into the cost of your tower, you will probably still come out on top.

What a bummer man... :cry:

Edited by Levi900RR

Sounds like the dude was a friend of yours? not sure you want to hang him on the Vinyl, even though it sounds like it was his fault. If not you should send them a bill.

I would order a skin from Chee, he can match it perfectly (he prolly made that one) and have a local dude install it, you will probably only be out a few hundred bucks. Factor it into the cost of your tower, you will probably still come out on top.

What a bummer man... :cry:

That's probably what I'll end up doing. He's not a friend, but they are a good shop a mile down the road that is handy to have. I'm not one to sue or charge people for accidents. On the other hand if I was the welder I would buy the guy new vinyl for the boat simply because I felt responsible.

You are right, Chee made that one. I'll call him next week and see what the best thing to do is. I could even take this one off and let him repair it by replacing the panels that got burned. Might be cheaper that way. I've got all winter.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. He's not a friend, but they are a good shop a mile down the road that is handy to have. I'm not one to sue or charge people for accidents. On the other hand if I was the welder I would buy the guy new vinyl for the boat simply because I felt responsible.

You are right, Chee made that one. I'll call him next week and see what the best thing to do is. I could even take this one off and let him repair it by replacing the panels that got burned. Might be cheaper that way. I've got all winter.

Bummer man!!:cry: That interior was pretty dang sharp. Like Levi said, he seems to be a good friend and to hang him on this could be tough. I'm sure it was a friendly weld anyways, but if not, they should say "no cost". I'd be ticked with no apology. For crying out loud he just said the tip needed sharpened so this issue would have been avoided.

Oh yeah, it's no freebie job. I'm paying $55 an hour for it. You are also right, it never would have happened if the tip was sharp. It just sucks.

With that, I'd be tempted to discuss that issue. It would be hard and it would suck, but still. The guy knew the tip was getting dull and continued, its not like you kept the boat open, you tried to protect it.

That stinks. Sleep on it and take your time. It's just vinyl.

At first glance, I'll bet it'd be cheap to peel it off, send it to Chee and have him sew in a new section. I'd think you could put the whole thing back on if you take your time.

As you mentioned, the "professional" carpet installation has a few dicey areas anyway. If it wasn't basically thrown in with the vinyl, I'd have installed it myself. Nobody does a better job on a boat than a prideful boat owner.

Or drive it and tackle it next summer. By then your new subwoofer will probably blow out a few more seams in the vinyl anyway. :rofl:

At first glance, I'll bet it'd be cheap to peel it off, send it to Chee and have him sew in a new section. I'd think you could put the whole thing back on if you take your time.

As you mentioned, the "professional" carpet installation has a few dicey areas anyway. If it wasn't basically thrown in with the vinyl, I'd have installed it myself. Nobody does a better job on a boat than a prideful boat owner.

Or drive it and tackle it next summer. By then your new subwoofer will probably blow out a few more seams in the vinyl anyway. :rofl:

:plus1:

LOL.gif I see you saw my video of it at work on the Clarion. ROFL.gif

Yeah it just really bums me out it happened. I love the interior in that boat and now it has a huge eyesore. I thought about a vinyl patch kit like you would use on small niks, but I don't think it will ever look the same. I think peeling it off and having Chee stitch up new panels is the best bet.

If I tell him about the sub I wonder if he can double up on the stitching? Whistling.gif

He probably can! I'd think if you just replaced the two panels it'd save money. But even if you replaced the whole thing you'd really have to send it in anyway... There's no pattern from a serial number for that design. It's an original. :thumbup:

Sounds like a plan. I'll see if I can't talk to him Monday about it. I'll carefully peel the cover off and send it in to him if he's willing to replace those panels. I haven't talked to the shop about price at all. I've just been racking up the time. I might mention a bit of a discount rate due to the damage. I think that would be fair. We'll see what happens. Did you get the carpet form Chee too or was that from Malibu?

Martin, how's the progress coming along? Cleaning the black polish out of the welds is a PITA!! I still have to do that and get some wax on it tonight.

Nate, that thing looks so insane! Nice work man

Nate, that thing looks so insane! Nice work man

Thanks Levi, the picture probably does it more justice than it deserves. It really still needs cleaned up and waxed. This whole process took way more time than I anticipated. I was a little disappointed, as i stripped the PC I found 3 or 4 dents in the stainless that were filled with Bondo or something. Also the plates for the nav light and tow spool look to be just some stock steel plating and not stainless. I wouldn't say I got it all polished down to a complete mirror finish seems like that would have taken me 20 more hours with the material I used, you can see a blurry reflection in most of it, but it's shiny :thumbup:

Sorry for the hi-jack Martin, just trying to keep your thread alive, show us some progress!!!

This whole process took way more time than I anticipated.

When does this NOT happen... :crazy:

I was a little disappointed, as i stripped the PC I found 3 or 4 dents in the stainless that were filled with Bondo or something. Also the plates for the nav light and tow spool look to be just some stock steel plating and not stainless.

WOW :surprised: I never would have guessed about that. How well does Stainless weld to regular steel???

Edited by Levi900RR