Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

87' Sunsetter Titan III Tower Project

martinarcher

Hey all,

I found a used Titan III that I think I can make work with my Sunsetter. The front and rear spread match the existing Monster mounts perfectly. The front to rear spread is 15-20 inches too long. The way the Titan III is shaped I'm kicking around the idea of cutting each leg down 6 inches to shorten it up by a bit. I would be nice to get it to match the existing mounting feet of the Monster tower, but I still have a gallon of Spectrum gel so if I have to move my mounts I can.

Here's my first question on the project for the crew. Those of you who own Titan III's, it this what the joints between the front and rear hoops look like? I thought I remembered the Titan III having tubing between the hoops instead of the flat tabs like the T I and TII. Looks like this one has the tabs. Also, I'm going to strip the powder coat and polish it. Should be a fun project that will pay off in the end. I won't miss the creaking the Monster makes. Crazy.gif

0831101308a.jpg

0831101308.jpg

0209101147a.jpg

They must have changed styles on the Titan 3 at some point. My connectors are tubing with handknobs and release pins (no tools required).

Edit - mine also has the light integrated along with the tow...thingy :biggrin:

Please document your tower stripping :crazy: It's on my list to do this winter...again!

Edited by Ndawg12

Hey all,

I found a used Titan III that I think I can make work with my Sunsetter. The front and rear spread match the existing Monster mounts perfectly. The front to rear spread is 15-20 inches too long. The way the Titan III is shaped I'm kicking around the idea of cutting each leg down 6 inches to shorten it up by a bit. I would be nice to get it to match the existing mounting feet of the Monster tower, but I still have a gallon of Spectrum gel so if I have to move my mounts I can.

Here's my first question on the project for the crew. Those of you who own Titan III's, it this what the joints between the front and rear hoops look like? I thought I remembered the Titan III having tubing between the hoops instead of the flat tabs like the T I and TII. Looks like this one has the tabs. Also, I'm going to strip the powder coat and polish it. Should be a fun project that will pay off in the end. I won't miss the creaking the Monster makes. Crazy.gif

0831101308a.jpg

0831101308.jpg

0209101147a.jpg

Martin, my t3 is like Ndawgs.....tubing.

They must have changed styles on the Titan 3 at some point. My connectors are tubing with handknobs and release pins (no tools required).

Please document your tower stripping :crazy: It's on my list to do this winter...again!

What do you mean your anchor light is integrated....where did you get that? Pics?

My Titan is the same style as the one you posted. I was told by the dealer that it was a T3. I wonder whether mine is an earlier model. Regardless, I have had no issues with mine. Nice, strong tower.

Good luck with your project.

Cool. So I guess this is an earlier T III. That's neat to know.

Could you guys with the Titan III's with tubing joints post some pics up close of that part of the tower. I'd like to see what each piece looks like when the tower is apart and assembled. Might be with "upgrading to" when I'm hacking this one up. Biggrin.gif

Oh and NDawg....pics of that tow spool light are needed as well! Rockon.gif My stern light on the boat is busted so I'll be adding a tow spool light.

Cool. So I guess this is an earlier T III. That's neat to know.

Could you guys with the Titan III's with tubing joints post some pics up close of that part of the tower. I'd like to see what each piece looks like when the tower is apart and assembled. Might be with "upgrading to" when I'm hacking this one up. Biggrin.gif

Oh and NDawg....pics of that tow spool light are needed as well! Rockon.gif My stern light on the boat is busted so I'll be adding a tow spool light.

Here is the best picture I can come up with right now. The tow "thingy" and light are seperate units but mounted on the same flat bar I believe. It looks like you'll have extend that bar in order to fit a stern light up there unless you can find a combination tow/light unit or modify a battery powered unit with some pvc to fit over the tow "thing" like Bill_airjunky and Beau did.

1- stern light

2- tow "thingy"

3- release pin

4- tubing connector

post-8316-128342892784_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12

That is the first style of T3's that came out. The tabs worked fine but then they upgraded to the tubing.

Keep in mind those T3's are much harder to adjust than the TI or T2 designs, I would be hesitant to hack it up frankly.

-Chris

I knew it was only a matter of time...

If anyone can retro that thing its you Martin, good luck and post pics Rockon.gif

:plus1: Exactly what I was thinking. Heck you've alreayd had it for a week I'm shocked you haven't finished this project.

Persoanlly I don't think you should hack up the T3. Install it the way it should be installed and fill in the monster mounts.

Really glad your polishing it though, I was hoping you would after I saw the first pics. You need a certain boat for the coated black to work and I just think the polished would look so much better on that sunsetter.

How'd the surf wave on the sunsetter turn out, relative to the skier?

:plus1: Exactly what I was thinking. Heck you've alreayd had it for a week I'm shocked you haven't finished this project.

Persoanlly I don't think you should hack up the T3. Install it the way it should be installed and fill in the monster mounts.

Really glad your polishing it though, I was hoping you would after I saw the first pics. You need a certain boat for the coated black to work and I just think the polished would look so much better on that sunsetter.

How'd the surf wave on the sunsetter turn out, relative to the skier?

Arn't the rails on the sunsetter black? It might look OK??

Arn't the rails on the sunsetter black? It might look OK??

Not sure but I think the colour of the boat aids more to a polished tower. I's need a dark boat or a deep blue to have a black tower on it (Illusion towers aside)

The Series III started with the two plates to connect the Tower, shortly after they redesigned the mounting of the Series III and went to using two disconnects. Both are just as solid as one another, the disconnects just proved to look better on the Tower. The Series III unfortunately is not being manufactured anymore and Star One Wake Accessories (formally known as Titan Wake Accessories) actually acquired 10 Series III's from a West Coast Dealer and they currently only have 4 left in inventory and after these 4 are gone they will not be available brand new anymore. Call Star One Wake if you are still intersted in putting a Series III on your boat! 916-858-1178

What do you mean your anchor light is integrated....where did you get that? Pics?

Bakes Online has the exact piece, installs under the tow spool. Looks sweet, for sure, but it ain't cheap...

Gotta say, I really prefer the newer style T3 with the tube disconnects. I'll try to snap a photo of mine later today or tomorrow and post it...

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Thanks for all the comments and info everyone.

Well the T III is getting hacked for sure. With me, where there's a will there's a way to make it work. I've always wanted a TIII so I'm going to make this one fit. I talked to Brett at Star One today and as always him and Luke are great with customer service. These guys are awesome and their willingness to work with a customer to make one of their towers fit and work for a customer is awesome. Most places would discourage a DIY kind of guy and I have certainly got that from other companies. These guys dove in and helped me out. As most of you know I have have beena Titan owner in the past and I can tell you I will be a Titan Star/One fan for a long long time.

The guys at Start one are putting together a kit with a tow spool and the newer style connectors that bring the two halves together to update it to the newer style tower. Rockon.gif Here's my plan...

I'll shorten the legs up a little to being the front to rear spread together. I'll get the leg's welded back up after removing about 6 inches from each leg. I'll then cut the original connector plates off. I'll mount the two hoops on the boat and mock up the new connectors to match the angle the two hoops come together with. After everything is marked up well both hoops go back to have the connectors welded up. After it comes home the powder coat stripping and polishing begins. I can't wait until it's done and I'm boarding off it. Rockon.gif Should be a fun project and should keep me out of trouble for a bit.

I'd still love to see pics of you guy's T III's. Sunrise, if you could post some good pics I would really appreciate it. Should help me with the project.

Thanks!

Edited by martinarcher

I did this to our Titan I two years ago, I to like to do projects like this alot because I love the felling after its all done, but Be fare warned this is a tedious job!!!! The stainless under the powder coat is not nearly as smooth as you would think! My son and I sanded for ever and still could have done more! For me it was worth it, but most people would say it was crazy. The tower blends into the boat so much more now, it was one thing I always hated about the boat, and actually said I wouldn't get a boat with the Titan I tower, but eventually did after finding a deal. I have thought of doing the windshield frame also but am afraid of the glare it mite produce?

post-5050-12835315111_thumb.jpg

post-5050-128353174645_thumb.jpg

I know what you mean about the polishing. I've already done that on my Titan I. i ordered it unfinished from Titan and polished it myself to save a few bucks and buy a polisher. It took a few good evenings, but was worth it. Like you said, nothing beats the feeling of a job well done!

They really do look awesome polished... :thumbup:

The grab rails will be getting the same treatment eventually. Rockon.gif I polished the rear rail on the Skier because the powder coat was chipping a bit. It looked way better.

Hey got the disconnects ready to go just let me know. Cant wait to see it on the boat!

Thanks man. I can't wait to get them and start working on this thing. It's gonna be a fun project! Once again Titan rocks! Thumbup.gif