Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Making surf wake on a Response

stroker-ace

:horse:

Yes, it is another surf wake post. Now that we have our resident VLX pretty dialed in. We are going to start working on my 2006 RLXi. I have a power wedge and no factory ballast, obviously. I have not surfed behind the boat, but I can make a good skate/board wake with just the wedge.

I ran with wedge down and 2 clicks up with 400lbs od people ballast sitting on my goofy side, so my weight (185) is also a factor. The wave was tall and rolling, but maybe too close to the boat. Yes, more pseed, but then the wave flattens. So, yes, more ballast.

Any of you Euro/Skier/Response guys have any suggestions.

martinarcher

Give this thread a read....

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22539-93-skier-wake/

We run about 1000lbs in the boat in an "L" shape. The wave is pretty nice. We control pocket length for different skilled riders. For newbies I run abound 10.2 and if you have the hang of surfing we can run all the way to 11mph to extend the pocket. I've been finding recently that with three people in the boat and a surfer behind, I place the two passengers in the observers seat area to get a bit of weight toward the front of the boat. I've had good results with that. Your an open bow right? If so it might be a good idea to try a person in the bow on the surf side to lengthen the pocket. with the wedge it might be a good idea to experiment with a 350-400lb bag in the walkway/locker area.

You are just the man I was looking for. :)

I was kinda thinking of running a long sac under the rear seat, wedge and use human ballast to switch the surf side. I am goofy, so switching is going to be a regular occurance.

martinarcher

You are just the man I was looking for. :)

I was kinda thinking of running a long sac under the rear seat, wedge and use human ballast to switch the surf side. I am goofy, so switching is going to be a regular occurance.

I plumbed my auto-ballast for that exact scenario. The either sac can become the rear sac and the other side sac stays in place (id that makes sense Crazy.gif). We couldn't get enough list to create the curl I wanted without adding water to the surf side. Keep us posted. I'd love to hear how you make out. Thumbup.gif

Check out that youtube video and you should be able to see how you can set up the boat for either side. The hosing running from the transom up to the side of the boat is plenty long to allow you to pull the fill and drain lines out into the rear seat area of the boat.

Edited by martinarcher

Nice thread. Excellent video. My boy with the VLX has been watching you video, apparently.

Edited by stroker-ace