Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

*Please Help* 2001 Response LX Indmar 5.7L

KnoxFireMedic

Hello all, I recently aquired a 2001 Malibu Response LX with 350 Indmar 5.7L from a family member. The boat has been sitting for approximately two years. After aquiring it the first problem I was face with was that the motor would not crank.. New battery, starter, and slave selenoid correected the problem. The motor will now crank but I am getting no fire. I began checking closer and noticed that I was not hearing the fuel pump click on when the key was turned. I was able to determine that the fuel pump was not getting any power. I check the fuel pump fuse... it was ok. I replaced both of the relays on the back of the motor, still no fire. I feel like I am overlooking something simple. Please HELP!!! I have to figure this out, boat is in such nice condition otherwise.

thanks,

Josh

Take a look at this.

edit, download the PDF in post #1

You may have to select *Acrobat* (reader) to open the file.

Edited by Pistol Pete

I had the same problem at the beginning of the season. Make sure the safety kill switch is fully is made. I installed a new amp under the dash and accidentally pulled the kill switch out enough to open it but lanyard was still attached. The kill switch shuts off the ignition.

Edited by Sirskisalot

I had the same problem at the beginning of the season. Make sure the safety kill switch is fully is made. I installed a new amp under the dash and accidentally pulled the kill switch out enough to open it but lanyard was still attached. The kill switch shuts off the ignition.

Check the connections on the back of the switch also. Those have a way of loosening up over time.

Thanks for the feedback. I did ensure that the kill switch was made. No dice unfortunately.

Thanks!

Do the gauges start up/initialize at key on?

Actually I dont think that they are? I will have to check to confirm, but I do not think so.... What does this indicate??

Thanks

Check kill switch connections both at the switch (I'd just put the two wires together frankly) and at the ignition. Wires are purple and purple with a black tracer IIRC.

Once those gauges fire up, the boat won't be far behind...hopefully.

Check kill switch connections both at the switch (I'd just put the two wires together frankly) and at the ignition. Wires are purple and purple with a black tracer IIRC.

Ok... I made sure my kill switch connection was good (jumpered the purple and purple/black wire together) and hear a relay click over on the engine, However, still no gauges cycling. Any thoughts?

thanks for the help

Josh

If the MDC is faulty will it prevent start-up?

A faulty MDC will not prevent the motor from starting up. I'd make sure those kill switch connections are good at the ignition switch and put a test light on the leads to the fuel pump at key up and see what happens.

-Chris

A faulty MDC will not prevent the motor from starting up. I'd make sure those kill switch connections are good at the ignition switch and put a test light on the leads to the fuel pump at key up and see what happens.

-Chris

Thanks for the input!

Sounds like something electrical but just in case, I had a 2000 Response and couldn't get mine cranked after de-winterizing one year. I had turned the fuel valve off at the tank. Worked on it half a day before I figured it out. That kill switch, hook and unhook a couple of times as well. Hope it helps.

Was thinking maybe it was the ignition control module,,but that shouldnt make you lose your gauges??

Check distributor cap. Mine was corroded and maybe your rotor fell apart? Also, for gauges, is it possible the canon plug isnt getting a good connection? It could be unplugged, pins spread w a screwdriver, and replugged.

Broke down and took it to a dealer. Bad news... Both MDC and ECM are fried. Worse news is that the ECM is not made for the 2001 anymore and the wiring harness to make the updated ECM work and the new ECM is around 2000 with labor!!!!!!!!!!! Guess its time to start saving. If anyone knows where I might find a 2001 Indmar ECM let me know..

Josh

Just cause its not made anymore doesnt mean it cant be found bro...Do a heavy duty online search. Find one in inventory somewhere. Start w Discount Inboard Marine. Let us know...

What are the chances both the MDC and ECM are fried? :crazy:

Sounds like it may be time to play the lottery with that kind of luck. Even if the boat sat for 2 years, how could electrical components like that get fried? I'm not saying your dealer is trying to swindle you, but in the long run, they are in the business to make money.

See if this post helps maybe:

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-51970.html

EDIT: Also, see if this helps at all.

http://www.tomsremote.com/mystuff/pdf/MDCtrouble.PDF

Edited by areamike

Also, if it is the ECM, you might check with these few sites to see if they have a remanufactured one that will work for you.

http://www.goecm.com/

http://www.ecmdepot.com/

http://www.autocomputersystems.com

EDIT: In the meantime, I am checking with my dealer here to see what he thinks about this.

DOUBLE EDIT: My dealer said pretty much a sure fire way to fry those components is if you hook up your battery backwards. Is it possible that is what happened? I'm awaiting his response on if he can get those parts and cost on his end.

Edited by areamike