Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Change Boat Color or Graphics

mcanarelli

I got my boat and love it. I'm not, however, 100% in love with the purple/teal colors on the hull - I think it looks a bit dated. I would prefer something more neutral (black, grey, dark blue, etc.) and less "vibrant." I've already removed all the decals, now I'm looking for something to dress it up and make it look a bit newer.

Is it expensive and hard to change the color? I can't just paint it right? Has to be gelcoat?

How about using Vinyl?

Does anyone have any ideas to dress up the hull using vinyl or paint or something that is not too expensive?

Here are some pictures:blank.gif blank.gif blank.gif blank.gif http://gallery.me.com/mikecan/100194

Thanks!

You can use paint or gelcoat. The prep work will make or break it. And usually paint doesn't last like gelcoat does.

If your only thinking about changing the darker colors (not the beige/off white hull), then I think I'd do a partial wrap in vinyl, covering just the parts you want covered. Use colors, patterns & stripes that are more updated. It'll change the look of the boat drastically. Call around to local shops for prices. They can mock it up in Photoshop to give you an idea what is possible. Or better yet, do the mock ups yourself. Then your not paying for someone elses time. And when you find something you like, you can give them specific info on what you want done.

I have 2 friends that paint cars professionally, one works at a BMW dealer and the other does custom stuff for car shows. I'm not sure how similar it is to painting a boat. The vinyl could be a great option depending on cost and the lifespan. I would love to repaint the entire boat white with some color but I'm sure that isn't easy. Boat would have to be on a lift i would imagine.

Has anyone repainted a boat that can post pictures or explain the pros and cons?

Finding a guy who has painted an inboard, especially a Malibu, is going to be tough. The boats just haven't been made that long & most people don't paint newer boats. You might find a few guys who have painted older MC or Nautiques though.

I had a buddy who painted an old Brendel jet boat (pre ski Brendella) a few years ago. The process is similar to any other paint job, but he used some very specific paint intended for the job (no clue what it was). That boat spends 99% of it's life on a trailer so I have no idea what it would do if it actually lived on the lake for any real amount of time.

As for painting cars, check with guys who paint cars like Vettes & Fieros. They will have a better idea what it takes to paint a boat because of the material their made from (not steel).

If I were you I would just wrap it. It would be less expensive, and you can design everything on the computer. Plus like some other guys have said it's going to be hard to find someone who has painted a boat before.

As long as they've painted fiberglass or plastic, and if they've painted any car they have, it should be fine. But, you could just cover the colors you don't like because you actually have a nice gel scheme going there.

If you don't want to spend the money on a printed wrap ($1000 and up) you can buy solid color vinyl online super cheap and do whatever you want in solids. I am thinking about doing underneath the lowest body line on my boat in red instead of white because I'm sick of the brown from the local lakes.

Kind of amazing what can be done for cheap:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

And it's not permanent if you get sick of the design.

Edited by jk13

As long as they've painted fiberglass or plastic, and if they've painted any car they have, it should be fine. But, you could just cover the colors you don't like because you actually have a nice gel scheme going there.

If you don't want to spend the money on a printed wrap ($1000 and up) you can buy solid color vinyl online super cheap and do whatever you want in solids. I am thinking about doing underneath the lowest body line on my boat in red instead of white because I'm sick of the brown from the local lakes.

Kind of amazing what can be done for cheap:

http://www.e90post.c...ad.php?t=376442

And it's not permanent if you get sick of the design.

That is a great link. And vinyl is my next option too, keeping the red looking good is just a lot of work. I could make all that red look brand new again and cover some old gel coat dings with a simple wrap. DIY. Definitely go with vinyl.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. Cheap and effective. I can change the color of the entire boat for a couple hundred. Amazing!

There is no special science to painting fiberglass or gel coat for that matter. Anyone that has ever painted a car will no what to do.

Sand it, seal it, and paint it, DONE.

You should very easily be able to find someone who has painted plenty of boats with awlgrip, nasty stuff that has to be professionally applied, but it will do the trick.

Other than that I've seen people do vinyl bootstripes that come out very well and for cheap, I'd look into that for sure.

Suggestion #1 - Keep your money in the bank and leave it as is...Your boat looks good and it does not look teal to me, it looks blue.

Suggestion #2 - If you're going to re-gelcoat, it should not be too bad, price-wise, because you're only talking about re-gelling a realtively small surface area, above and below the rub rail. That said, however, you are probably still talking into the thousands dollars to re-gel; maybe $2000 would cover materials & labor?

Suggestion #3 - You could easily get by with paint on this boat, because of the realtively small surface area, above and below the rub rail. Those areas are not as subject to abuse and damage like dock dings. I would never suggest painting an entire hull, because it will not last as long as gelcoat. Painting is cheaper option than gelcoating, but it won't last as long.

A Friend of mine has a Four Winns, it had a pink stripe down the hull. He had a guy paint the stripe grey and it looks sweet. Not sure how long it will last but I couldn't tell it was a different finish...

That being said I don't think I would ever do it :crazy: I went through a phase when I first got my boat where I wanted to change the color. (Blue, Teal, Pink Stripe) but I have learned to embrace its early 90s heritage!!! I did axe the pink when I re-did the interior.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :thumbup:

Edited by Levi900RR