Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 Vride Wake surf setup

tstewart1

I forgot that you're setup is for goofy. I would still take out the hard tanks and plumb the 750 in to the stock plumbing, that way you can fill and drain that with the stock setup. You gain a ton of storage space when you don't have the bag filled. If you have ONLY the 750 in the locker with no stock tank, when completely filled, it will take up 90-95% of the space in that locker, that's why I'm saying you probably don't have much more than 850-900lbs in there total with all 3 bags/tank that you have in there.

I really doubt you have 900lbs between the two bags, plus the 200lbs of the stock hard tank. There's no way I could fit an extra 350lb bag on top of my full 750 and still close the hatch. Even if your 750 sac looks like it's full, it's not, because it's got the hard tank taking up the space that would normally be expanded to fill the locker. The physical dimensions of the full 750 are just about the same size as the empty locker without the hard tank.

Then take the 400 and put it on the floor behind the driver, on the seat, or on the floor in front of the seat. You want to move some of that weight towards the middle of the boat. I'm sure you have a nice tall wave with your setup, but you'll have much more "surfable area" if you redistribute that weight a little bit.

Edited by jtrovato

I'm surfing my 08 V-ride with stock ballast & wedge - more weight would be better, plan on replacing the stock tanks with the 750's it's a hassle as my crew rides normal and I ride goofy - constantly draining/filling something but the point here is the stock set-up is "surfable" - if thats even a word??

I'm surfing my 08 V-ride with stock ballast & wedge - more weight would be better, plan on replacing the stock tanks with the 750's it's a hassle as my crew rides normal and I ride goofy - constantly draining/filling something but the point here is the stock set-up is "surfable" - if thats even a word??

You're right, I was able to ride ropeless with just the stock setup. Add the 750 and another 350-400 lbs to the mix and you'll never turn back!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so here is an update: we brought a GPS to the lake and found we were actually surfing at 11.5 not 10.5 like I previously said. So 750 rear locker, mid ballast full, 400 tube under the seat, 400 on top of the seat, and 400 in the bow pushed over to surf side.

I tried it with no weight in the front and none of my crew liked it. Oh well it works for us!

Our 07 vride throws a nice wake goofy side with no bow ballast, center tank full and 750 (probably 600lb) in rear locker - we replaced hard tanks with bags. Driver and one 60lb kid in rear seat. More people makes it better but not in bow and if we have 2-3 adults in boat we are right at the rubrail. Running at 10.8 but need to gps that. Wake is decent on regular side with same setup if I stand on that side while driving. The bags in rear have been the best (and one of the cheapest) modifications we have made to the boat.

• 1 month later...

Gang, revisiting this thread...

So I've pulled my tanks and put the wakemakers tankbuster kit in with 750s but I've had a few issues and I want to get your thoughts.

First off, with the vent hose attached I just cant get the bag full. Ended up sticking a wine cork in the vent through-hull. Second, I also get some leakage through the drain pump when full. Ended up sticking a wine cork in that through hull too. Third, I've had the issue of siphoning through the fill pump when the bag is really full. Installed a flapper type check valve on the fill line and that seems to be corrected.

Now the issue seems to be the quick disconnect fittings. They are leaking, apparently A LOT. I got the sack full yesterday and the check valve kept it full. Now when I say full, I mean "plumped up" so you could bounce a quarter on it. Really full. Checked it 20 minutes later and it was flacid and had clearly lost water. Then I checked the bilge and holy crap there was a bunch of water in there. Pumped it out, drained the back and sure enough it looks like there was quite a bit of water back there.

So are you guys having this same issue with the quick disconnects, or am I filling the bag too much?

I will say that with the bag that full the surf wake is money. Also running a 400 in the bow, surf side, and two 150s on the seats, surf side (we're goofy). I've come full circle on bow ballast... makes all the difference in keeping the wave clean and giving it enough push.

Our 07 vride throws a nice wake goofy side with no bow ballast, center tank full and 750 (probably 600lb) in rear locker - we replaced hard tanks with bags. Driver and one 60lb kid in rear seat. More people makes it better but not in bow and if we have 2-3 adults in boat we are right at the rubrail. Running at 10.8 but need to gps that. Wake is decent on regular side with same setup if I stand on that side while driving. The bags in rear have been the best (and one of the cheapest) modifications we have made to the boat.

You using your wedge too?

So I've pulled my tanks and put the wakemakers tankbuster kit in with 750s but I've had a few issues and I want to get your thoughts.

First off, with the vent hose attached I just cant get the bag full. Ended up sticking a wine cork in the vent through-hull. Second, I also get some leakage through the drain pump when full. Ended up sticking a wine cork in that through hull too. Third, I've had the issue of siphoning through the fill pump when the bag is really full. Installed a flapper type check valve on the fill line and that seems to be corrected.

Now the issue seems to be the quick disconnect fittings. They are leaking, apparently A LOT. I got the sack full yesterday and the check valve kept it full. Now when I say full, I mean "plumped up" so you could bounce a quarter on it. Really full. Checked it 20 minutes later and it was flacid and had clearly lost water. Then I checked the bilge and holy crap there was a bunch of water in there. Pumped it out, drained the back and sure enough it looks like there was quite a bit of water back there.

So are you guys having this same issue with the quick disconnects, or am I filling the bag too much?

I will say that with the bag that full the surf wake is money. Also running a 400 in the bow, surf side, and two 150s on the seats, surf side (we're goofy). I've come full circle on bow ballast... makes all the difference in keeping the wave clean and giving it enough push.

Now your running almost exactly the same as me only we put a 450 on the seat (regular foot) and maybe a 200-300 tube under the surf side seat.....and have the same issues. I have chosen to ignore the siphon though it just drains a little and we can alway flip the switch to top it off once in a while. I have a lot of standing water in the compartment but witht the bag full it is very hard to check the fittings.

Also I was advised to not run a vent line at all. (Paul, Bakes)

Edited by Ruffdog

Now your running almost exactly the same as me only we put a 450 on the seat (regular foot) and maybe a 200-300 tube under the surf side seat.....and have the same issues. I have chosen to ignore the siphon though it just drains a little and we can alway flip the switch to top it off once in a while. I have a lot of standing water in the compartment but witht the bag full it is very hard to check the fittings.

Also I was advised to not run a vent line at all. (Paul, Bakes)

Lol wrong answer ruffdog -- I want to fix the leaking, not live with it. I'm wondering whether it might work better to omit the quick releases and hard plumb the bags?

Lol wrong answer ruffdog -- I want to fix the leaking, not live with it. I'm wondering whether it might work better to omit the quick releases and hard plumb the bags?

You got the wrong idea :) I want to fix the reason the locker is getting wet but I have not yet determined the fitting to be the source of the leak. Would be super easy to plumb the bags that way....and a real pain to take them out for dry storage. Maybe another type of quick disconnect fitting?

The leak I living with is the siphoning past the drain pump. I just don't see it being worth fixing. Mine siphons pretty slow though not sure how yours is.

You got the wrong idea :) I want to fix the reason the locker is getting wet but I have not yet determined the fitting to be the source of the leak. Would be super easy to plumb the bags that way....and a real pain to take them out for dry storage. Maybe another type of quick disconnect fitting?

The leak I living with is the siphoning past the drain pump. I just don't see it being worth fixing. Mine siphons pretty slow though not sure how yours is.

Yeah I was thinking of hard-plumbing the check valve right to the bag on the fill side and then put an inline disconnect on the hose. Not sure how to deal with it on the drain side.

Yeah I was thinking of hard-plumbing the check valve right to the bag on the fill side and then put an inline disconnect on the hose. Not sure how to deal with it on the drain side.

Wouldn't an anti-siphon loop eleminate the slow drain?

Wouldn't an anti-siphon loop eleminate the slow drain?

Probably -- I went with a check valve instead. That works just fine too. It's the quick disconnects that don't seem to be able to handle the pressure of the bag when it's plumped-up-full.

For the drain lines, I'm thinking of just getting a roll of the home depot spa hose and running the drains to the opposite sides of the boat. That way when filling for surfing the drain output should always be higher than the bag.... would that work?

Probably -- I went with a check valve instead. That works just fine too. It's the quick disconnects that don't seem to be able to handle the pressure of the bag when it's plumped-up-full.

For the drain lines, I'm thinking of just getting a roll of the home depot spa hose and running the drains to the opposite sides of the boat. That way when filling for surfing the drain output should always be higher than the bag.... would that work?

That's pretty much how malibu's MLS design is, getting the hoses and outlets above the tanks and pumps. My bag is plumbed with all fly high quick disconnects but I can't say it's leaking. At least I haven't noticed the fittings leaking.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only had a leak at the fittings once. The oring was missing simple fix. As for the Sacs draining happens on surfside on most systems i eliminated 80% of the drain in mine by venting and draining out of the opposite sides of the boat.

I've only had a leak at the fittings once. The oring was missing simple fix. As for the Sacs draining happens on surfside on most systems i eliminated 80% of the drain in mine by venting and draining out of the opposite sides of the boat.

Yeah my drain fitting is leaking like a beotch. Planning on taking a look at it over the winter to figure out if there's a way to run it a bit differently. Basically the weight of the bag on the 90* fitting makes it tweak out a bit. I'm thinking of running a foot or so of hose before a quick release fitting to take the pressure off of the fitting itself (moving the qr fitting away from the bag).

Yeah my drain fitting is leaking like a beotch. Planning on taking a look at it over the winter to figure out if there's a way to run it a bit differently. Basically the weight of the bag on the 90* fitting makes it tweak out a bit. I'm thinking of running a foot or so of hose before a quick release fitting to take the pressure off of the fitting itself (moving the qr fitting away from the bag).

Good idea.

• 2 years later...

Don't mean to revive an old thread but I am having a slow leak & it is not the fittings, not sure where it is going. It also seems my 750 sac has more air than water when full. Check valve or siphon loop on the drain hose will fix this?

Don't mean to revive an old thread but I am having a slow leak & it is not the fittings, not sure where it is going. It also seems my 750 sac has more air than water when full. Check valve or siphon loop on the drain hose will fix this?

Is it leaking in the boat or just draining the sack?

Is it leaking in the boat or just draining the sack?

I don't see any leaking in the boat, it is not wet down there. I did not look at the drain while moving but I don't know where else it would be going? Never used to do this though?

If it is not leaking into the boat, it's either siphoning out the bottom of the boat past the fill pump, which a check valve between the fill pump and the bag should fix, or it's siphoning out the vent or the drain, which a vented loop between the drain pump and the through hull, or cross venting (plumbing the vent line to the opposite side of the boat) should fix.