Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 Vride Wake surf setup

tstewart1

Hello,

I have a 07 21' Vride that only has a center ballast and wedge. After wake surfing on a friends Wakesetter I want to try it on the Vride. I understand the more weight the better and my best option is to add fatsacs in the rear but I am hoping not to have to go that route. (Don't want to loose the storage). What do you think is the bare minimum setup for the Vride? Would a longer board such as the 5'6" Ronix Koal make a difference on a smaller wake (i.e. is longer better)? If a fatsac is necessary, any recommendations on brands and where to put it?

Thanks for the advice.

Tim

Agree, 750 in the rear locker. Another 400 on top of that (as full as you could get it), plus some large friends sitting surf side would be great. I'd probably not call the bow weight "bare minimum." Can surf without it for sure.

I'll pimp this vid out one more time... We have the rear MLS, so that's full plus a 750, mid MLS also full, wedge down and four adults and three kids in the boat. As many of us sitting surfside as possible.

Edited by shawndoggy

Thanks for the response. So, the next obvious question is what is the best system to buy and install? I saw that wakemakers was suggested in another thread, is that what I should be looking at it or another manufacturer? Does it matter which side is the surf side? I wouldn't mind loosing the rear locker on the drivers side but don't want to loose the other one since that one will fit skis. I assume it is hard/impossible/expensive to add plumbing/pumps/etc as the factory would have done when the boat was being constructed right?

Thanks for the help

Tim

Thanks for the response. So, the next obvious question is what is the best system to buy and install? I saw that wakemakers was suggested in another thread, is that what I should be looking at it or another manufacturer? Does it matter which side is the surf side? I wouldn't mind loosing the rear locker on the drivers side but don't want to loose the other one since that one will fit skis. I assume it is hard/impossible/expensive to add plumbing/pumps/etc as the factory would have done when the boat was being constructed right?

Thanks for the help

Tim

You could always just use the tsunami manual pump at first. Takes about 5 min to fill or drain a 750.

Agree, 750 in the rear locker. Another 400 on top of that (as full as you could get it), plus some large friends sitting surf side would be great. I'd probably not call the bow weight "bare minimum." Can surf without it for sure.

I'll pimp this vid out one more time... We have the rear MLS, so that's full plus a 750, mid MLS also full, wedge down and four adults and three kids in the boat. As many of us sitting surfside as possible.

It's rediculously easy to get a good wave on the goofy side of these boats. Let's see the wave on the regular side, not nearly as easy. I'll agree wave looks nice, with an 11 year old riding it....

It's rediculously easy to get a good wave on the goofy side of these boats. Let's see the wave on the regular side, not nearly as easy. I'll agree wave looks nice, with an 11 year old riding it....

LOL, why would anyone ride on the other side?

Here's a grownup with less weight (only one adult and three kids):

We did set it up with a 750 and a bunch of adults on the regular side, but I didn't take any pics. Seemed fine. Tried over the weekend with just the regular side tank, wedge, mid tank and everyone (other than driver) sitting surfside, and you're right it was kinda weak. Nobody too heavy in the boat though either, so that might have had something to do with it. I didn't actually surf it though either, so I don't know what it was like in the water. Newbie friend had some trouble on it, but he did manage to get ropeless for a bit.

With full mls and 1 750 sac I have a very respectable wave on the goofy side, kinda makes me sick what I have to go through to get one that size on the "right" side.

With full mls and 1 750 sac I have a very respectable wave on the goofy side, kinda makes me sick what I have to go through to get one that size on the "right" side.

But the goofy side is the right side; in all respects. ;)

Dont mean to interject here but as I'm new to wakesurfing, and I am regular so right foot in front, I would surf with the wake on the passengers (left) side correct..?

thanks haha.

Dont mean to interject here but as I'm new to wakesurfing, and I am regular so right foot in front, I would surf with the wake on the passengers (left) side correct..?

thanks haha.

Yes that is the "right" side.

martinarcher

thanks haha.

Passenger side is the normal or "right" side, but you'll want to face the wave with your left foot forward. If you ride with your right foot forward than you ride "goofy" and want to set your boat up for surfing on the drivers side.

Funny I guess I was right....I got shot down awhile ago when I suggested that the surf wake is better on the goofy side.

Funny I guess I was right....I got shot down awhile ago when I suggested that the surf wake is better on the goofy side.

Really? When was that? It's easier to get a good wave on the goofy side of any LH prop rotation boat.

Our setup: 750 rear locker, tube sack under surf side seat, 400# on seat surf side seat, mid ballast full, and 400# in bow pushed over to surf side. All passengers on surf side. Wedge down.

I will say we had more weight in the boat this last week end. I didn't fill the 400 on the seat because I had a couple of 300# guys and and their not skinny wives all on the surf side and had the best wake ever. I am thinking about using the other 750 instead of the 400.

Really? When was that? It's easier to get a good wave on the goofy side of any LH prop rotation boat.

Not that long ago. I thought it was a no brainer. :crazy:

Here's my setup:

750lb sack in rear surf side locker, center MLS full, about a 350lb tube sack under the passenger side seats, and floating wedge down. Speed control set at 10.2, but not GPS verified. This was with only the driver and spotter on board. It gets better with more people. No weight in the bow. If we have more than 4 people on the boat, I'll put at least 1 up in the bow.

I weigh about 225lbs and I can ride ropeless all day long with a Hyperlite Broadcast 5.4. I plan on upgrading to a Triple X Slasher 5.0 in the very immediate future!

SurfWave.jpg

Surfing1.jpg

Surfing2.jpg

Surfing3.jpg

Here's my setup:

750lb sack in rear surf side locker, center MLS full, about a 350lb tube sack under the passenger side seats, and floating wedge down. Speed control set at 10.2, but not GPS verified. This was with only the driver and spotter on board. It gets better with more people. No weight in the bow. If we have more than 4 people on the boat, I'll put at least 1 up in the bow.

Jtrovato, do you not have rear MLS? So just the 750 alone in the rear corner?

Im trying to figure out how you guys get away with not running weight in the bow? I mean I pretty much do the same thing as you guys but in my opinion the bow ballast must be there.????

confused..

Im trying to figure out how you guys get away with not running weight in the bow? I mean I pretty much do the same thing as you guys but in my opinion the bow ballast must be there.????

confused..

That's what I thought too, but then I tried without. With MLS full, 750 and a 400 on top, all in rear locker, and just mid mls full, it does fine. Maybe 150 lbs worth of kids in the bow, sometimes.

Jtrovato, do you not have rear MLS? So just the 750 alone in the rear corner?

I had rear MLS, but I took out the hard tanks and put the 750's in their place, that way the 750 can fill up all the way in the locker and I'm still using the stock drain and fill pumps with the dash switches.

confused..

I've never had to put weight in the bow and I get a really decent wave. If I put weight up there, it will lengthen the pocket, so it's nice when I do have the extra people, but it's not enough of a difference for me to spend the money on another fat sac for up there and spend the time filling it.

That's what I thought too, but then I tried without. With MLS full, 750 and a 400 on top, all in rear locker, and just mid mls full, it does fine. Maybe 150 lbs worth of kids in the bow, sometimes.

So you have the stock MLS tank (200lbs), a 750lb sac and a 400lb sac all in one rear locker? With the 750 alone, if it's full, it takes up 90% of the locker. If you're still able to close the hatch on the locker, then I really doubt you're actually putting any more than 900 lbs in that locker (and you have 1350 lbs worth of sacs). I would take the 400 lb sac out of the locker and either put it under the seats on the surf side if it'll fit, or on top of the seats. This will make the wave longer and not as steep, but it will make it so you have a bigger sweet spot to ride in.

Edited by jtrovato

I've never had to put weight in the bow and I get a really decent wave. If I put weight up there, it will lengthen the pocket, so it's nice when I do have the extra people, but it's not enough of a difference for me to spend the money on another fat sac for up there and spend the time filling it.

So you have the stock MLS tank (200lbs), a 750lb sac and a 400lb sac all in one rear locker? With the 750 alone, if it's full, it takes up 90% of the locker. If you're still able to close the hatch on the locker, then I really doubt you're actually putting any more than 900 lbs in that locker (and you have 1350 lbs worth of sacs). I would take the 400 lb sac out of the locker and either put it under the seats on the surf side if it'll fit, or on top of the seats. This will make the wave longer and not as steep, but it will make it so you have a bigger sweet spot to ride in.

yeah, neither sack is "full" (i.e. bulging at the seams). If they truly weigh what they are supposed to when full, I'd estimate I'm getting 900 or so between the 750 and the 400.

We surf goofy, so there is no "under the seats" because of the cooler.