Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Woke up early for nothing! I hate my friends!

Umatilla Matt

Next time tell invite them to go out on the boat and when they actually show up at your house tell them..."I'm sorry I forgot to tell you that I didn't want to go anymore."

Hopefully they will get the point.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Umatilla Matt

• Pistol Pete

• Ndawg12

• shawndoggy

In general people are unreliable and lazy. This is coming from a guy who does not own a boat but manages,

details, troubleshoots problems for several of his buddies who own boats. I just can't stand people

not taking care of their possessions, especially boats.

In general people are unreliable and lazy. This is coming from a guy who does not own a boat but manages,

details, troubleshoots problems for several of his buddies who own boats. I just can't stand people

AMEN to that!

I have had the same problem for the past 10-years, unreliable people. My best friend has a lake house about an hour outside of Dallas. Just getting him to commit to a time he can be ready to head out there is like pulling teeth. Then, when we do get out there, he has to sleep til 1 or 2 in the afternoon, wasting the good part of the morning. He'll wake up, act like nothing is going on, then say something like "are we going out on the lake today, I'm ready to roll". I've almost decked him so many times. For someone who wakes up at 6:15am for work every day, my body doesn't let me sleep till anywhere after 9-10am, at the latest.

On normal weekends when we go to local lakes, it's the same story. They'll talk about the lake all week, then want to show up at my house at like 3 in the afternoon on Saturday. GRRRRRR....

I've got a lot of other friends, but seems like people are always so busy these days. They'll complain about never getting to go to the lake, but when I do call, they are always doing this or that. Then I stop calling, and they get mad. What's the point???

I get really frustrated and definitely go through the "why do I even have this boat" phase. I love the lake, love spending time on the water (whether just hanging out or boarding), but being that its a group ordeal sometimes makes me question it. Seems like it's always something.

Rant over...

Between me, my wife and my two kids (11 & 14) I've got a built in crew. But I'm already wondering what's gonna happen when the kids get one foot out the door.

I have had the same problem for the past 10-years, unreliable people. My best friend has a lake house about an hour outside of Dallas. Just getting him to commit to a time he can be ready to head out there is like pulling teeth. Then, when we do get out there, he has to sleep til 1 or 2 in the afternoon, wasting the good part of the morning. He'll wake up, act like nothing is going on, then say something like "are we going out on the lake today, I'm ready to roll". I've almost decked him so many times. For someone who wakes up at 6:15am for work every day, my body doesn't let me sleep till anywhere after 9-10am, at the latest.

On normal weekends when we go to local lakes, it's the same story. They'll talk about the lake all week, then want to show up at my house at like 3 in the afternoon on Saturday. GRRRRRR....

I've got a lot of other friends, but seems like people are always so busy these days. They'll complain about never getting to go to the lake, but when I do call, they are always doing this or that. Then I stop calling, and they get mad. What's the point???

I get really frustrated and definitely go through the "why do I even have this boat" phase. I love the lake, love spending time on the water (whether just hanging out or boarding), but being that its a group ordeal sometimes makes me question it. Seems like it's always something.

Rant over...

I can relate to all of that. I've even tried luring them out with a tube! :crazy: And it's not like I make anyone help me with anything. They all leave when the fun's over. If you don't wanna go, just tell me! Don't say you do and not show up!

Ain't that the truth!!!

Try making a simple flier with power point advertising a "ski/boarding club". Then put it up at all the boat dealers/shops in the area.

I have a new friend who has a Sanger. He is very reliable and is fun to be with. Our family's got together last weekend and had both boats out. It's the first time I've had a reliable boating friend in a long time.

Between me, my wife and my two kids (11 & 14) I've got a built in crew. But I'm already wondering what's gonna happen when the kids get one foot out the door.

So I just gotta find a woman and have some kids. I'll be good to go in 10-15 years! :yahoo:

So I just gotta find a woman and have some kids. I'll be good to go in 10-15 years! :yahoo:

I'm feeling that with my oldest, he is out of the house on 8/1.....he learned to drive the boat as well or better than I do!

OP: I feel your pain bro!

Several times I've had my 3rd brown on me!!!!!! :Frustrated::badmood::bash::biteme::guns::rtfm:

It's always been the same guy.. He's the stereotypical "surfer". Real nice guy, known him for years, he'd give you the shirt off his back. He loves the water and is a decent rider. Heck he's even ridden the knee board like a wakeboard. But UNRELIABLE as HE!!. We'd set a date, call the night before, then 7am.....nothing. 8am nothing... By 8 I've already called a dozen or so times, but he has no service at the girlfriends condo...

UUUUuuugggggg!

When the boat sits in the garage waaaay more than it should, I get the "why do I even keep it?" mood too....

Then the next time out I remember why I bought it in the first place!!!!!

Yes, still closed.

it's wind mill cove now.

D, you mean Windmill Cove is the temporary SPOT??

Floated by Lost Isle early last year and it looked deserted/ruined.

Their site says it'll be open next year...

Ain't that the truth!!!

Try making a simple flier with power point advertising a "ski/boarding club". Then put it up at all the boat dealers/shops in the area.

I have a new friend who has a Sanger. He is very reliable and is fun to be with. Our family's got together last weekend and had both boats out. It's the first time I've had a reliable boating friend in a long time.

Sounds like you got lucky. For me (and my friends) it has never been a problem finding people to go but rather finding quality people who understand boating, rules, laws, not using

spray suntan lotio, not spilling drinks all over the boat, tracking dirt etc etc I can go on, but hey this thread is a rant so lets keep it going:)

We moved into the new house a couple of weeks ago. I'm always up early and saw the same Nautique going by 2 days in a row at 7AM with two people in it. The 3rd day I was standing on the dock waiting for them. On the 4th and 5th day, I was now the 3rd person in the boat!

We're going Sat at 7AM. I hope this keeps up!!

I guess, I'll have to take a trip over and see what going on :crazy:

A section like that would be a good addition to the site. I've been thinking for a while that we need to refine those event/on the water forums. When we get ready to do our site move & upgrade later this summer, we'll make that happen.

Me, I'm happy to be a third for anyone that's within an hour or 2, if I can make it (and if I say that I can, I will). I'll meet you at the lake with food & your beverage of choice & gas money, & I'll help you wipe the boat down when we're done. I've been told that I have some driving skill as well, so I can help with that.

We moved into the new house a couple of weeks ago. I'm always up early and saw the same Nautique going by 2 days in a row at 7AM with two people in it. The 3rd day I was standing on the dock waiting for them. On the 4th and 5th day, I was now the 3rd person in the boat!

We're going Sat at 7AM. I hope this keeps up!!

I saw a guy on the shore with a bed sheet pulled between two sticks. In big red letters was the word PULL. He had his board in one hand and his rope and handle in the other. How do you not stop for a guy like that? Turns out to be a guy I met on wakeworld and rode with three years ago. He is a military guy who insisted on calling me Sir, and a darn fine rider. A great third may be online or right around the next turn!

Does anyone else have problems with finding RELIABLE people to go out on the boat??? For the third time in a month, I'm up early on my day off, sitting here playing on the internet looking out the window at my boat ready to go because my "friends" bailed out at the last minute and didn't bother to tell me.

I make sure the boat is ready to go the night before. It's clean, the batteries are charged, and there's gas in the tank (THAT I PAID FOR!). I even call everyone the night before and everything is set and good to go! "We'll see you tomorrow!!!" I wake up early, fix a big breakfast, knowing I probably won't eat until 4 or so. I get on my board shorts, flippy floppies, and my Oakleys. I uncover the boat, go over everything to make sure it's all good to go. I hook up the truck and bring the boat around front. I load the cooler with beverages (THAT I PAID FOR!), make sure I've got extra towels in the boat, and double check the weather and wind direction. :woot:

15 minutes after my buddy is supposed to meet me at the house he's still not here. I call him and what do you know? HIS ALARM DIDN'T GO OFF AGAIN!!! :lazy: So I say forget him, I've still got 2 other people going. I'm good to go, right? Oh, well it turns out my other friend FORGOT she had to clean the horse stable this morning!! :horse: I called and checked with her the night before!! HOW DO YOU FORGET??? :Doh: Oh well, I've still got my brother! Surely he won't let me down! I've just got a mirror for my boat so we'll be good. Oh, well OF COURSE! My brother has an ear ache and doesn't feel like going!

:blowup::rant::guns::bash:

HOW HARD IS IT TO PICK UP THE PHONE AND TELL ME YOU'RE NOT GOING?!?!? I found out everyone wasn't going by CALLING THEM! Not one person thought to give me a call. They were just gonna no show! This happens all the time with DIFFERENT people. I'm so tired of getting ready and not going. You'd thing it would be easier to get people to go FOR FREE on someone else's boat, burning their gas and drinking their beverages! What is wrong with people? Sometimes I wish my boat had a remote control so I could pull myself! :crazy:

*END OF RANT*

Does anyone else have these problems? How do you deal with it? More importantly, is there anyone in the Central Florida area that's reliable and needs a tow? :footing:

Move to Calif. and we can relate to each other. I to have trouble getting people to go. Just this last weds, my grand kids changed their minds at the last minute. They both came over the night before and helped get the equipment ready. When I drove to their house the next morning, they said they were burned out from skiing and did NOT want to go. Being as I try and go only during the week, I know it will be more difficult to get people off work/school in order to go. But if they say they want to go and then let me know they don't want to go only after I have everything packed and ready, then we need to get together and we can console each other. Lets forget them and go together.

It's some type of paranormal thing. We got lucky and found two (now it's up to 3.5 other boats, because one is a deck boat) other MALIBU owners. Well, one Axis but that counts. But every boat(family)in the group has stories of freeloaders gone wild. But we raft up and take turns burning gas, help load, clean, picnic, the works. And everyone is really punctual. We've even joked(halfway) about writing a set of bylaws!!! I just can't imagine standing up a boat owner. There may be a warm place in he!! for those folks.

Aquapalooza tomorrow @ Chicamauga Dam y'all! We'll be there!

PM'd you.

If one of your crew is a slacker but not someone you'd easily write-off, put'em on a "personal development plan".

I've had a buddy on probation for 4+ years involving much public ridicule, very clear expectations and an occasional "oh, did I forget to invite you?", whatever it took, but he picked up the pace and was a great boating partner going forward.

Fellow boat owners are the best crew to have if you can find some.

I'm the kind of guy that if I get invited out on your boat, I bring enough (good) beer and snacks for everyone.

I also bring my own towel and cleaner for wipe-down at the end of the day.

oops, edit,

I'm always packin' cash for gas money. Ask any of the Cen. Cali. crew :thumbup:

Edited by Pistol Pete

If one of your crew is a slacker but not someone you'd easily write-off, put'em on a "personal development plan".

I've had a buddy on probation for 4+ years involving much public ridicule, very clear expectations and an occasional "oh, did I forget to invite you?", whatever it took, but he picked up the pace and was a great boating partner going forward.

Thats funny, I do the same if one of My buds burns Me. Usually it's My Mijo Jose.

" Hey did you guy's go to the Cabin" Yep, didn't think you'd be interested. "You guy's had the UFC fight party again?" Yep, I didn't call you? sorry bro. "When you going to the House Boat again?" last weekend where were you ?

It does work .Biggrin.gif

Wow, I didn't know this was a problem. If I was a non-boat owner and someone invited me along , paid for gas, drinks, etc I sure wouldn't stand them up.

When I bring friends along I almost expect them to pay for gas and they are happy doing it. One guy told me our last trip "there is only one thing better than owning a boat and that is having a friend that owns a boat". So he appreciates the fact that he is there and along for the ride and he helps prep and clean the boat.

But as someone said before, get a girlfriend and she will manage to find all sorts of her friends to go along and this will never be a problem again.

Not good, if I tell some one I am going to do something its going to take a lot for me to miss.

I have two good ski buds and one coming on line. I have been out 50 times this year. :thumbup: Only one miss from one of my buds this year and it was work so I will cut him some slack. Most of the time we don't need to make plans a quick call or idle in front of the house and give the horn a quick tap. We share boats gas and Good Times!!!!!!!