Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Woke up early for nothing! I hate my friends!

Umatilla Matt

Does anyone else have problems with finding RELIABLE people to go out on the boat??? For the third time in a month, I'm up early on my day off, sitting here playing on the internet looking out the window at my boat ready to go because my "friends" bailed out at the last minute and didn't bother to tell me.

I make sure the boat is ready to go the night before. It's clean, the batteries are charged, and there's gas in the tank (THAT I PAID FOR!). I even call everyone the night before and everything is set and good to go! "We'll see you tomorrow!!!" I wake up early, fix a big breakfast, knowing I probably won't eat until 4 or so. I get on my board shorts, flippy floppies, and my Oakleys. I uncover the boat, go over everything to make sure it's all good to go. I hook up the truck and bring the boat around front. I load the cooler with beverages (THAT I PAID FOR!), make sure I've got extra towels in the boat, and double check the weather and wind direction. :woot:

15 minutes after my buddy is supposed to meet me at the house he's still not here. I call him and what do you know? HIS ALARM DIDN'T GO OFF AGAIN!!! :lazy: So I say forget him, I've still got 2 other people going. I'm good to go, right? Oh, well it turns out my other friend FORGOT she had to clean the horse stable this morning!! :horse: I called and checked with her the night before!! HOW DO YOU FORGET??? :Doh: Oh well, I've still got my brother! Surely he won't let me down! I've just got a mirror for my boat so we'll be good. Oh, well OF COURSE! My brother has an ear ache and doesn't feel like going!

:blowup::rant::guns::bash:

HOW HARD IS IT TO PICK UP THE PHONE AND TELL ME YOU'RE NOT GOING?!?!? I found out everyone wasn't going by CALLING THEM! Not one person thought to give me a call. They were just gonna no show! This happens all the time with DIFFERENT people. I'm so tired of getting ready and not going. You'd thing it would be easier to get people to go FOR FREE on someone else's boat, burning their gas and drinking their beverages! What is wrong with people? Sometimes I wish my boat had a remote control so I could pull myself! :crazy:

*END OF RANT*

Does anyone else have these problems? How do you deal with it? More importantly, is there anyone in the Central Florida area that's reliable and needs a tow? :footing:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Umatilla Matt

• Pistol Pete

• Ndawg12

• shawndoggy

You need new friends and a new brother :biggrin: People without boats don't understand what all is involved in the preparation. One thing I've just started to do is try to hook up with people who own boats, they understand what's involved and you can take turns using each others boats and that saves everyone time and money. :thumbup:

I feel your pain. It's such a let down, even when they do let you know it just sucks. Doesn't happen all the time for me but it definitly happens. Edventually I started cyclying new friends and ppl and now I have a pretty relaiable group that won't necessarlly always come, but whnen they say tehre in, THEY'LL BE THERE. And they pay for gas Thumbup.gif . And now I don't call the other friends to come in the boat and when they call to see whats up, I make a point of mentioning I am/was/am going to be going out in the boat but don't make any mention to invite them. If they ask, I say I'm full (is that even possible?).

Lesson learned and it's alot more fun coming with the ppl that want to be there enough that there as hyped about it as you are, and those ppl won't cancel.

As for your offer, I'll come for a pull and I won't cancel the night before because I'll have to leave 2 days early, will you pay for that gas too :tease2:

You need new friends and a new brother :biggrin: People without boats don't understand what all is involved in the preparation. One thing I've just started to do is try to hook up with people who own boats, they understand what's involved and you can take turns using each others boats and that saves everyone time and money. :thumbup:

They act like it's as simple as driving to the lake and it's no big deal if they don't show up. They have no idea! :Frustrated: I wish I knew some more people with boats. Everyone I know has a piece of crap bass boat or something.

I think Nate hit the nail on the head...non-boat owners have no clue how much work it takes to get things ready for a day of boating. I had the same problem when I first got our boat. I thought buying the boat was the hardest part...turns out getting people to go out is almost impossible (especially during the week). Here in AZ, we need three people in order to ride. I found all of my current crew from Wakeworld (Find-a-third-Be-A-third section). It works out great because these guys have been around boats and share the same passion you do. They understand and respect the boat, chip in for gas, help wipe down, etc...

I'm wondering if this site can add a section like that? Find-A-Third-Be-A-Third for local areas?

And they pay for gas Thumbup.gif

I'm lucky if I can get someone to bring their own drinks! :beer:

Lesson learned and it's alot more fun coming with the ppl that want to be there enough that there as hyped about it as you are, and those ppl won't cancel.

Definitely! :rockon: I need to find some hard core people like me!

As for your offer, I'll come for a pull and I won't cancel the night before because I'll have to leave 2 days early, will you pay for that gas too :tease2:

:rofl:

A guy in DC had the same problem. He started DCWake.com and all of his troubles dissappeared. In fact, we have more riders than boats. Find a third, be a third is a great idea. It should work exceptionally well in Florida.

I think Nate hit the nail on the head...non-boat owners have no clue how much work it takes to get things ready for a day of boating. I had the same problem when I first got our boat. I thought buying the boat was the hardest part...turns out getting people to go out is almost impossible (especially during the week). Here in AZ, we need three people in order to ride. I found all of my current crew from Wakeworld (Find-a-third-Be-A-third section). It works out great because these guys have been around boats and share the same passion you do. They understand and respect the boat, chip in for gas, help wipe down, etc...

I'm wondering if this site can add a section like that? Find-A-Third-Be-A-Third for local areas?

I was thinking the same thing about adding a section like that to this site. That would be awesome! Maybe I'll check out WakeWorld. I'm always leery about stuff like that though because you don't really know the people that well.

I was thinking the same thing about adding a section like that to this site. That would be awesome! Maybe I'll check out WakeWorld. I'm always leery about stuff like that though because you don't really know the people that well.

I felt the same way, initially. Either I have the best luck in the world or most people that like watersports are pretty cool. I have not had a problem yet and I've met/rode with 10 different people so far. My wife and I were very leery at first because a boat is a very small place to share with someone you don't get along with. But again, no problems yet. :thumbup: I would recommend talking to them on the phone first to get a feel for their personality. All of the people in our crew are there to ride and enjoy the water...not to booze up or pick up chicks. So as long as everyone is on the same page, it shouldn't be a problem. Besides, we're pretty laid back and easy-going. I just have a few rules...respect the boat and respect others.

I feel your pain. It's not so much that I have unreliable people, it's that all I have is busy people...

Always looking for for folks. If anyone is in south east MN :whistle:

Fortunately I haven't had that happen to me lately in my older years but it was the case when I was single, you need to find a girlfriend with lots of friends :biggrin:

I felt the same way, initially. Either I have the best luck in the world or most people that like watersports are pretty cool. I have not had a problem yet and I've met/rode with 10 different people so far. My wife and I were very leery at first because a boat is a very small place to share with someone you don't get along with. But again, no problems yet. :thumbup: I would recommend talking to them on the phone first to get a feel for their personality. All of the people in our crew are there to ride and enjoy the water...not to booze up or pick up chicks. So as long as everyone is on the same page, it shouldn't be a problem. Besides, we're pretty laid back and easy-going. I just have a few rules...respect the boat and respect others.

I'll give it a shot. I can probably add them on Facebook too, just to get a feel for what they're like.

There is a time and place for booze and chicks, usually on the weekends when it's too crowded to do anything else! :rockon:

Fortunately I haven't had that happen to me lately in my older years but it was the case when I was single, you need to find a girlfriend with lots of friends :biggrin:

It's hard to find a girl who can drive a boat in a straight line and keep a constant speed! :lol:

Ear ache! I have a special name for those people.

I have some friends like that too. I've left people on the beach ,waiting at the gas station and even on an island for being way late, If I make plans I'm there and I'm very punctual, if I'm not there something happened and I'll call.

Some people just don't understand something thats not a big deal to them effects people depending planing and waiting on them. "Oh I forgot I had to clean the parakeets cage today !" I remove you from the friend speed dial and move someone up a notch.

Edited by bigD

Fortunately I haven't had that happen to me lately in my older years but it was the case when I was single, you need to find a girlfriend with lots of friends Biggrin.gif

We had a stand by list when me and my boat friends where single, Everyone wanted to go to lost isle on My buddies boat in those days. We always made sure the odds where in our favor Whistling.gif

It's hard to find a girl who can drive a boat in a straight line and keep a constant speed! :lol:

I had my girlfriend dialed in last summer, she pulled me all day long on the sky ski (wouldn't pull me on the boom barefooting but oh well), I had PP, and she put the boat on the trailer perfect.

Used to love the comments and looks from the people on the ramp as she pulled the lxi onto/off of the trailer.

-Chris

I got so Po'd I sold my ski boat years ago for the same reason. Now I have a 23 LSV, 3 teenagers, with a boat that can handle 10 with no problem. Do you think that I could get 3 people with friends together? I am getting ready to sell off again am getting really P****D Off Again. I can feel your pain brother.

Edited by rodman

The singular reason for that is because us guys never let them drive until they are the only option. If you never got to drive, you would suck too! My gf pulls like a champ! The most important thing I told her was "if you get into a sketchy situation and you don't know what to do, just stop". That situation arose with some jet skiers last weekend. When she stopped the boat, they knew exactly why she had to stop and they took off.

I got so Po'd I sold my ski boat years ago for the same reason. Now I have a 23 LSV, 3 teenagers, with a boat that can handle 10 with no problem. Do you think that I could get 3 people with friends together? I am getting ready to sell off again am getting really P****D Off Again. I can feel your pain brother.

Try DCWake.com. There are Pa riders who check in on a regular basis.

I had my girlfriend dialed in last summer, she pulled me all day long on the sky ski (wouldn't pull me on the boom barefooting but oh well), I had PP, and she put the boat on the trailer perfect.

Used to love the comments and looks from the people on the ramp as she pulled the lxi onto/off of the trailer.

-Chris

It's a beautiful thing to see a woman who can handle a boat! :rockon:

I don't have perfect pass, so with some inexperienced drivers I'll be boarding at 30mph one second and 12mph the next! :Doh:

I guess we both thought the only problem we'd have would be telling people we don't have room! I still don't get it...

Try DCWake.com. There are Pa riders who check in on a regular basis.

Thanks for the heads up maybe I could even get someone that could drive and I could ski. Hell I will even buy the gas and beer.

We had a stand by list when me and my boat friends where single, Everyone wanted to go to lost isle on My buddies boat in those days. We always made sure the odds where in our favor Whistling.gif

LOL, is that place still closed?

It has nothing to do with boating, those are just unreliable people. What if you were putting up a fence? Pulling bushes? Hanging drywall? Those activities actually are work...going on the boat is play. If they don't show up for play, count them out for the hard stuff. I"ve had people I just stop asking (usually to dinner, or stop by for a beer, etc.). It doesn't feel good dropping people that, when you are together you have a good time with, but can't committ to things. But it sure feels better than wondering where your help/crew is.