Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 VTX Porposing

old skool malibu

Need a little help... my 09 VTX - diamond hull has decided this year it wants to porpose! I typically run 21mph, full ballast 1250 lbs plus wedge at 75 or 88% max and driver and spotter. I have turned the wedge setting down to as low as 35% and still get porposing occasionally. I am thinking it must have something to do with a falty sensor as the wedge is calibrating properly. Any thoughts? Anyone else have this issue? What was your fix?

Need a little help... my 09 VTX - diamond hull has decided this year it wants to porpose! I typically run 21mph, full ballast 1250 lbs plus wedge at 75 or 88% max and driver and spotter. I have turned the wedge setting down to as low as 35% and still get porposing occasionally. I am thinking it must have something to do with a falty sensor as the wedge is calibrating properly. Any thoughts? Anyone else have this issue? What was your fix?

Yes calibrating the wedge. Maybe calibrate the wedge and then set it all of the way down, turn off the boat and hop in the water and see where it is set to. At least you could verify if the wedge is getting set correctly.

:plus1: on making sure that wedge is calibrated. Our VTX has only porpoised once and it was because we left our manual wedge down.....while barefootingDoh.gif . I'm willing to bet that it is the wedge in one way or another.

The boat is run with full factory ballast, front, mid and rear so there is significant weight in the front. Last year I had no issues with this type of problem. Typically I think portposing occurs with too much weight in the rear however I have no more than factory so I would assume that the wedge must be showing me it is in a position it is not. ie it shows me 75% when it may be going to 100% (full wedge). If I put the wedge all the way down 0% (approx 400lbs) I am ok. I can slowly bump the wedge up and that will work however it is easy for me to do, not so easy for newer drivers who tow me! The system is designed so the wedge will automatically go to the desired position which it is not so I guess I will see what the dealer wants to do. They have indicated that they want to replace the sensor. Think it could be anything else?