Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX Surf Wake

'07VLX

I need some help with my surf wake. First, i have the VLX w/ front ballast and power wedge. This is how we have it so far:

-Back left tank. center, and front MLS full. (sometimes we empty the front tho)

-Wdge 3/4 down

-anywere from 4 to 11 people in the boat

-about 11 MPH

So, i need some help on a bigger wake. It seems the wake isn't very big at all. Is there anything i could do to make the wake bigger?

I don't want to buy a fat sack because of price, complication, and takes up so much storage space.

Is there anything i can do to make a bigger wake on a budget?

I have the same boat, but do you have the Diamond hull or the Wake hull? I have the Wake hull, and when I didn't have any extra ballast, I was able to get a very good surf wake with almost the same setup. I don't have the bow ballast. Also, I put the wedge all the way down. If you bring it up at all, it washes out the wake (IMHO). Also, make sure as many people as possible are on the surf side and no one on the non-surf side, if possible (everyone but the driver, of course, if you are surfing the port side). The most important thing is to get the lean. I don't condone this, but you could even get some people leaning out over the surf side to get the wake bigger.

I need some help with my surf wake. First, i have the VLX w/ front ballast and power wedge. This is how we have it so far:

-Back left tank. center, and front MLS full. (sometimes we empty the front tho)

-Wdge 3/4 down

-anywere from 4 to 11 people in the boat

-about 11 MPH

So, i need some help on a bigger wake. It seems the wake isn't very big at all. Is there anything i could do to make the wake bigger?

I don't want to buy a fat sack because of price, complication, and takes up so much storage space.

Is there anything i can do to make a bigger wake on a budget?

The ONLY way you will get a bigger wake is with more weight, it's up to you whether you use ballast bags or human ballast. YYou really need a 750 lb sac in the rear surf side locker, with another 400 lb on or under the seats on the surf side. Keep that bow tank full, it is how you will lengthen your wave. You could leave it empty if you sped up a bit to compensate.

Is this what your talking about?

Does this come with everything you need (pumps, etc), and will it fit in my rear locker?

Yes thats the bag and brand I recommend, and it fits perfectly in the rear lockers. No it does not come with any pumps, that's another $100 but you only need one for all your bags. The 400 lb sac I recommend fits under your seats (regular side not goofy side)and will begin where the 750 sac ends and go under the seats and end before the passenger storage compartment. If you ride goofy you don't the 400 lb sac.

Here is the sac.

http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=986

This setup works perfectly with all MLS full and wedge all the way down, wave is even really good with no wedge. We were just riding another crew members boat with this setup the other day. With this setup you have NO bags on the seats and can place people ballast anywhere you want to tweak the wave.

Edited by 06vlx

And do i have to take the floor out for these?

And how long does it take to fill?

Do i just simply put the pump in a hole, press fill or something, and take it out when im done? How does it work?

Edited by '07VLX

And do i have to take the floor out for these?

And how long does it take to fill?

Do i just simply put the pump in a hole, press fill or something, and take it out when im done? How does it work?

No you don't have to remove the floor for these above the floor bags. You just hook the pump hose up to the bag, throw the pump overboard in the water, then plug in the lighter adapter and it will start pumping. The whole process takes about 15 min for a couple bags.

You don't need a bag for each side, you can use one and move it around.

I use a 500ish lbs sac in the rear locker and another 250 tube sac under the seats, plus peeps. The wave is quite nice. My buddy, JimW, added 750 lbs sacs in each locker with pumps, fully automated...very nice! If we don't have enough people, he has another 400 lb to throw on the seats. Yep, fill the bow, center, and surf side MLS. As far as the wedge, we rarely use it.