Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Etiquette

newguy

If someone bumped/scratched my car in a parking lot, I would get their info and make them repair the damage. But how do you handle this when anchored on the water. I've probably anchored about 5 times this year in a cove and twice I had to run to the front and push off a boat that was about to hit me cause the other person was clueless on how to set an anchor. I've also witnessed a couple minor collisions in the cove and the person responsible just sheepishly leaves. If this happened to me I would want the other drivers info but how have others handled this. I'm not talking about major collisions, just a minor scratch or something. Is that just part of being a boat owner?

Unfortunately I've been on both sides of this. (we all have)

IMO if there is no REAL damage other than a scratch or a mar from a rubrail: It's just part of the deal, most minor scratches van be sanded/buffed out, but I would save them up for a year or 3 before doing it. There is only so much gel on the boat.

Not that we shouldn't care about our boats, but realistically, cars get road chips, door dings, etc every day. Boats are no different. You are just in your boar MUCH less than in your car and you notice EVERY little thing on your boat/baby.. Rafting boats together in a cove is a great way to increase the odds of getting damage...

Opinions on this WILL vary and I'm sure I'm in the minority on this.

YMMV!

Patrick

If someone bumped/scratched my car in a parking lot, I would get their info and make them repair the damage. But how do you handle this when anchored on the water. I've probably anchored about 5 times this year in a cove and twice I had to run to the front and push off a boat that was about to hit me cause the other person was clueless on how to set an anchor. I've also witnessed a couple minor collisions in the cove and the person responsible just sheepishly leaves. If this happened to me I would want the other drivers info but how have others handled this. I'm not talking about major collisions, just a minor scratch or something. Is that just part of being a boat owner?

I would view this no differently than a car. Someone hits my boat and does damage, I'll be collecting their insurance information, shooting a pic with my camera-phone as evidence, and getting it taken care of with $0 out of my pocket.

We were in New York a few weeks ago doing some fishing on the Saranac River. We had to lock thru a few small locks along the way. We were in small tiller-outboard fishing boats. We went in the locks first, followed by a very nice bass boat with all the bells and whistles. These are small locks that are not very wide.

After we were in position, some dumb-a$$ in a Sea Doo jetboat basically comes into the locks at about 10 MPH and rams the bass boat in the transom, scrapes up the concrete wall of the lock, and I reach back to push him back from hitting the outboard on our little fish boat. What a clueless d*ck! Says not a word to anyone on the boats. Not even a sorry. The guy in the bass boat doesn't say anything either...crazy.

A few minutes later, the locks open, we putt-putt out (very shallow, about 3 ft deep), and the guy in the sea doo goes WOT and almost capsizes our two boats, leaving a whole trail of mud from the bottom. I was so hoping to see him crashed on shore a few miles up river, but alas, he survived the sharp turns and rocks...

-- Mike

Unfortunately I've been on both sides of this. (we all have)

IMO if there is no REAL damage other than a scratch or a mar from a rubrail: It's just part of the deal, most minor scratches van be sanded/buffed out, but I would save them up for a year or 3 before doing it. There is only so much gel on the boat.

Not that we shouldn't care about our boats, but realistically, cars get road chips, door dings, etc every day. Boats are no different. You are just in your boar MUCH less than in your car and you notice EVERY little thing on your boat/baby.. Rafting boats together in a cove is a great way to increase the odds of getting damage...

Opinions on this WILL vary and I'm sure I'm in the minority on this.

YMMV!

Patrick

i have no doubt this'll happen to me at some point (probably sooner than later) so i thought i would get some opinions on how to handle it so i'm somewhat prepared. using your car door ding example... it's one thing if it happens when you're in a store, not much you can do about it. but if i were in the car when it happened, i would surely get the guy/gal to pay for the damage. the difference with the boat is that you're almost always in it when you're parked in a cove so you see the damage when it happens. like you said, i'm sure there will be a lot of different opinions on this.

Circumstantial. Big damage or just a scratch that can be buffed out? Boat full of idiots driving and acting like idiots or just an honest mistake by someone innocent? That would be a game time decision for me.

Circumstantial. Big damage or just a scratch that can be buffed out? Boat full of idiots driving and acting like idiots or just an honest mistake by someone innocent? That would be a game time decision for me.

Well said

:plus1:

2 summers ago I was docked in front of a local lakeside restaurant eating lunch. I was in a slip but there was a pontoon boat tied to the sea wall several slips away. I don't know if anyone has noticed but the front of those pontoons are sharp as hatchets. Anyway, this guy hit my teak platform taking a huge chunk out of it and hit the boat so hard he knocked my bow into the dock taking a chunk out of the bow as well. Of course, he didn't leave a note. All I can say is you need all the good karma you can get on the water and he's now operating in a karma defecit.

Sometimes no matter how carefull you are these things happen. I noticed when we got back from Norcal WOW I had some new scratches some of them pretty good ones. I know for a fact that each time we tied up to another crew member we both were very careful about placements of the bumpers. Just part of owning a boat.

It happens, don't sweat the little stuff! If there is big damage, cracked fiberglass or something I'm getting there info and thats a different story. Alot of boating is karma like Matt said. Thats why i'll tow a broke boat into the Marina and not expect or accept cash for gas. I just try to behave on the water the way i'd like everyone else to behave. Sometimes it comes back to you sometimes it doesn't.

Theres a guy out there with a 23 LSV that has a huge Karma deficet and a butt whopping coming to him! A few years back while out at Naci my home lake I came across this idiot with his boat stuck in the mud. Two other boats tried pulling him out with no sucess. I offered to help and my mighty little VLX managed to get him out of the mud and floating again. I then towed him for almost an hour back to the marina. He thanked me and offered to replace the bent tow bar on the back of my boat (it bent while pulling him out of the mud) I said okay to that but not to worry about gas or nothing. He said he'd order and pay for it at the local malibu dealer in Paso Robles and he never did. And once I got halfway back to the cabin my girlfriend at the time gave me a number and said the perv had slipped it to her at the marina and told her to give him a call cause he thought she was cute! I would have turned around right there but he was long gone. I did have fun harrassing him on the phone for a few weeks but then he changed his number. Haven't seen him at Naci since either! If I do see him...? Wait none of you guys on here know him?

Well said Dawg. Definitely a game time decision here also. You have to weigh all the variables at that very moment. One of the most important things to me is the demeanor of the other boat (driver and passengers). Is it an honest mistake? Remorse shown? And of course, how bad is the damage?

If Pistol Pete would have said this I would have given him a rep point. :thumbup: