Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should I trade or not? Opinions please

dluttr

I have an 07 Malibu VLX Wakesetter, that I custom designed and had built. I really love the boat. However, I'm considering trading for a customized 2011, when Malibu begins building in July/August.

The boat dealer told me that because of the shape of the hull on the 2010/2011, it takes more to weigh it down and get a large wake. I did notice that the hull appears different than on my 07 BU.

I'm not desperate to trade, but I do like some of the new features of the new BU's, such as the LCD screen and camera.

Any opinions from 2010 BU owners or that knows someone that owns one?

sale it your self u will get more forit and tell the dealer u want to do a in and out thru the dealer that way u dont get hit with all the taxes save me like 3200.00 :thumbup:

Keep your boat and save your money. Its only 3 years old. A boat is not an investment; its an expense. The longer you keep it, the more money you save.

Unless you're balls rich. It that case, get the new boat! :thumbup:

your dealer is full of it if he thinks the 2009-2011 hull takes more weght to get a bigger wake than the same weight set up in your boat. do what you want but dont belive it till you ride it. I have an 07 and have been behind 09`s and 10`s.

Sounds like this is s transition year with Malibu (read the threads on Shame on Malibu). If this is a transition year you could get the last year of the best boats that Malibu ever made, or the first year of the worse boats they made.

Like EDO said try to sell it out rite if you can. If not try to do a courtisy trade to save you the extra sales tax money.

Do not trade.

The best car, truck, house, trailer, is the one that you special ordered 5 or 10 years ago and kept in mint condition. It has all of the nuances that you desired.

Save your money.

An emergency will come up unexpectedly some time in the future and you will be glad you did not throw away dollars on this perceived improvement.

Take a small portion of that savings and spend an extra couple of days at the lake.

Edited by DONTW8

There is some great advice in this thread. I went into a Harley dealer when they introduced the new 6 speed factory tranny. Luckily for me, I got a real Harley guy as a salesman.

Here was the conversation:

Me: I'm thinking of trading my Fatboy in, and buying a new one with the 6 speed. What do you think?

Salesman: How much do you owe on your bike? Have you done anything to it?

Me: I own it outright, and I've put on a ton of accys to make it how I like it

Salesman: The worst move I ever made was trading in my paid for dresser for a new one, with the new features. Cost me thousands to get it back to where my old bike was, and in the end, I didn't like it anymore than the one I didn't owe money on. All I was left with was a loan payment, and the same bike

Needless to say, I still have my old Fatboy, and love it more than ever. If you are ready for a new boat, have at it! The question is, why are you doing it? If it's for a bigger wake, can you get it without trading up in boat? What's the cost to get your boat to make a bigger wake? Probably far less than the trade.

Plus, if you do want the new boat, I'm with Edo. Don't take the trade terms, sell it yourself! Good luck

your dealer is full of it if he thinks the 2009-2011 hull takes more weght to get a bigger wake than the same weight set up in your boat. do what you want but dont belive it till you ride it. I have an 07 and have been behind 09`s and 10`s.

Thanks for the input Lil John. Incidently, your 07 BU looks identical to my 07, except for the speakers.07MalibuWakesetter002.jpg