Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Road Trip!

'07VLX

Ok, i am about top take my VLX to BC from here in Saskatchewan. I am a litle worried about it doing something on the road. Is there anything to really worry about?

No. It's a beautiful drive. Just north of the Sunshine turn off lots of construction to Lake Louis. More construction just outside Golden. Just take it slow through the pass outside of Golden. I can't count the big rig accidents I've seen over the years. My boat is out in the Shu for half the summer, it comes back to Calgary 2 or 3 times a summer. Rodgers pass is a cake walk, lots of passing lanes so don't think your holding up traffic. A word to the wise... take your sunglass off before you enter the avalanche tunnels! Two of the seven are dark. If you see panic braking :cry: Now you know why.

Have a great trip. I hope your family pee's less than mine!.

Sweet, thanks. Have you been to the Okanogan lately? If so, is there any shallow spots or spots to avoid? Same with Shushwap or however yuo spell it?

Not sure what route you are taking But the trans canada highway ( number 1 ) near Maple Creek has been washed away by sever flooding. There is about a 200 kilometre detour heading north to get around it.

Sweet, thanks. Have you been to the Okanogan lately? If so, is there any shallow spots or spots to avoid? Same with Shushwap or however yuo spell it?

I am only familiar with Little Lake Shuswap and the connecting end of the big lake. My advice is don't go down stream between the lakes the first time unless you have someone in the boat that has done it. Going upstream is a bit easier because you are going against the current, which is very swift water. Downstream no time for mistakes. That's all the advice I can give, have fun Shuswap is a great lake. I would have loved to get to the upper reaches and some of the sandy beaches there but too long of a day trip, plus Little Shuswap was glass even when the upper lake was blown out.

I was in the Okanagan for the boat show. Was out on the lake in a Vector. WOW 105mph :baby:. As for the Shu the water level in the big lake and Mara is up 3'-4' in the last 6 weeks. The sand bar going into the big lake is not a problem now however follow the markers and have fun.

Malibutime - there is a specific route you need to take for the little river or you can easily hit the bottom, its been dredged a certain way for this reason. Going from the little shu to the big shu, if you enter from the right corner, head straight to the left side of the river, follow the left side up to 300m, there is a huge second marker on the side there, straighten up and cross to the right side, then follow the right side of the river up right up to the big shu.

If your still unsure, ask any locals or follow them! The marinas have maps to. If you're up here, stop by and say hi. We have an rv lot at the rv park in chase at the far end of the little shuswap.

07VLX - I've done that drive about 30 times in the past year, well from the shu to Calgary anyway. Golden construction isn't too bad now, but stick to the speed limit as there are some pot holes. West of Banff there is MAJOR construction, police everywhere, so expect some delays. Depending on when you travel you can avoid most of the traffic late evening, but its still a pain in the butt.

As for shallow spots on the shu, its a big lake so you might wanna let us know where you'll be. I'm in the little shuswap and sometimes around copper island if I feel like it.

Will be on Mara in the 3rd week of July and the Salmon Arm in the 2nd week of August. I've only navigated the river between little and big shuswap on a seedoo. Mara is an awesome lake skinny with mountains right into the lake it is really nice and lots of glass to be found. Another really nice spot is at Scotch Creek... if you go north of Copper Island in the morning. The only shallows I know of is the area heading north out of Sicamous and the area north of Salmon Arm at Tappen. The big lakes can get choppy with both wind and boat chop during the day. We go out from 8- 12 and then after supper and leave the afternoon to the tubes and runabouts. I know alot of folks try to make day trips up and down the lakes to differnt spots and most of them come back and say we'll never do that again it can take two hours of getting your kidneys hammered to get anywhere on the lakes.

Driving... if you go through Calgary use the new Stoney Trail Ring road. Pick it up on 16 Ave just before the city and it puts you back on the Trans Canada just west on Canada Olympic Park. Saves you about 30 traffic lights in bumper to bumper traffic but does add about 15 kms to the trip (easy trade off). Also if you are not in a hurry just before the sunshine turn-off west of Banff there is the bow valley parkway (1A) it is scenic but the speed limit is 60 so again if you just want to be moving it is a good way to go as it dumps you out a Lake Louise after the major construction.

Enjoy the trip and bring a spare for the trailer I see a number of orphaned trailer or road side head scratching each year as they don't carry a spare.

The best I saw a couple of years ago was a guys pulling his new X-star heading up into Rogers Pass behind his 70 something POS Bronco. I can repsect his decsion to pump his money into a boat :rockon: .... there was an oil streak and some parts on the ground and the streak lead to him on the side of the road with the death puddle underneath... must have sounded like a grenade when it let go

Edited by G-Mack

Malibutime - there is a specific route you need to take for the little river or you can easily hit the bottom, its been dredged a certain way for this reason. Going from the little shu to the big shu, if you enter from the right corner, head straight to the left side of the river, follow the left side up to 300m, there is a huge second marker on the side there, straighten up and cross to the right side, then follow the right side of the river up right up to the big shu.

I have been through from little to big and back. I was just suggesting that he doesn't try it the first time coming from the big lake because you are swept down by the current and finding the bar is a bit more urgent, if you know what I mean.