Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'87 skier won't stay running

First time out this season, boat ran great for 10min. Then can to idle at neutral tried hole shot and it fell on its face. Now it will fire but won't stay running. Took the carb off to rebuild, but didn't find any problems. Going to replace the plugs, points & fuel filter. Any other suggestions?

First time out this season, boat ran great for 10min. Then can to idle at neutral tried hole shot and it fell on its face. Now it will fire but won't stay running. Took the carb off to rebuild, but didn't find any problems. Going to replace the plugs, points & fuel filter. Any other suggestions?

Make sure your choke is working also make sure you can blow your carb jets with comp air good luck.
martinarcher

It very well could be your fuel pressure it dipping. Go to the local auto shop and buy a low pressure fuel pressure gauge (should read between 0 and 15 psi). I installed mine in line between the fuel pump and the carb with a bit of fuel line and a few stainless clamps. It was worth it's weight in gold for diagnosing fuel issues and saved a lot of money in parts while guessing what was wrong. At idle your boat should be around 7-8psi of fuel pressure. When you hammer down it shouldn't dip more than 1 or 2 psi. I had the same sort of issue two years ago on my 88 and I installed a fuel pressure gauge at idle it was sitting around 5-6psi and when I would put the hammer down it would fall to around 3 psi and the boat would fall on it's face. New fuel filter = happy slalom starts. Rockon.gif

Make sure you check the filter in the carb body too if it is a Quadrajet. You can unscrew the fuel line fitting in the carb and there will be a filter inside the body of the carb.

Might be a good time to replace the rotor and dist cap as well as the plug wires too. I did all that when my fuel pump went. It's money well spent to keep the Bu running well.

Thanks for the great info! Just rebuilt the Quadrajet carb, new fuel filter & fuel/water separator. Hooked up to run in driveway and ran fine. Took out on lake and ran great 15-20 min, started missing eventually falling on its face & quit running again. I have also noticed that if I allow it to sit for a few hours it will start right back up. Seems to be temp related but gauge never goes above 180. To add insult to injury seem to have developed linkage problem. There is suddenly a lot of slack in the shifter line. Won't engage forward or reverse without getting into the throttle. Adjusted several times & had to pick forward or reverse, cant find a point where I can get both forward & reverse. Please forgive my poor typing. I am on an iphone coming home from the lake!!

Did not have this linkage issue last Sunday!?!? Do i need to replace that cable?

Doesn't have rotor. Still has points. Anybody have experience with points eliminator kit? Thinking about putting one on.

martinarcher

I'm running the points eliminator kit from Pertronix called the Ignitor. I like it a lot and would recommend it if you want to convert the boat to electronic ignition.

Edited by martinarcher
  • 1 year later...