Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrade to Rack & Pinion

kknudsen12

I need to change the steering cable on our '96 Response, which has the stock rotary steering. I've read a couple people comment about upgrading to rack and pinion, but there's not too much info out there. Would I be able to do so without doing too much work (basically, will the rack fit under the helm ok?)? And would there be a noticeable difference in steering? If it really won't make much difference, it's obviously cheaper and easier to simply swap out the steering cable on the present rotary system.

My 97 Echelon came with the rotary but was upgraded to the rack by the original owner, SO I can tell you it will fit. My steering is super light. Love it.

If I were to do that, would there be any reason I'd need extra length for the cable due to the orientation of the helm? I'm just thinking of the possibility that the cable would attach in a different place and then the 14' would be too short.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to change the steering cable on our '96 Response, which has the stock rotary steering. I've read a couple people comment about upgrading to rack and pinion, but there's not too much info out there. Would I be able to do so without doing too much work (basically, will the rack fit under the helm ok?)? And would there be a noticeable difference in steering? If it really won't make much difference, it's obviously cheaper and easier to simply swap out the steering cable on the present rotary system.

Did you ever upgrade the steering? I have a 1996 Response that needs a cable also and would rather have the rack and pinion but would need to have more info just as you requested.