Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'99 Sportster LX--Both speedometers don't work

Hey guys,

I've got a 1999 Malibu Sportster LX and both of the speedometers. It's been a little while since this happened, but I just found this forum and I really want my speedometers to work. I've checked the pickups and they seem to be free and clear of any debris. What should I check next?

Thanks guys

Try removing the line hose from the speedo and shoot some compressed air through it to flush out debris. There is prob somthing cloggin up the lines somwhere. 9 times out of 10 that solves th problem.

Try removing the line hose from the speedo and shoot some compressed air through it to flush out debris. There is prob somthing cloggin up the lines somwhere. 9 times out of 10 that solves th problem.

it being the hose NOT THE SPEEDO HEAD

i'm sure that thought is there just wanted to make it crystal clear

it being the hose NOT THE SPEEDO HEAD

i'm sure that thought is there just wanted to make it crystal clear

Good call on clarifying that. :thumbup:

So should I just disconnect the hose from both the pick up and the actual gauge and blow it out with the air compressor? I'm just afraid of damaging anything, I've seen that some of the components can be rather expensive.

Thanks guys

Yep, the sensitive equipment is the speedo.

The idea is to backflush the hose to clear debris that has clogged the lines. Once you have them clear and you can feel air flowing out at the pick up then you are good.

Reconnect the tubes to the speedo, confirm that your speedos are working by having someone blow air into the pick up. You should see the speedo move just blowing air from your mouth if the lines are clear.

Hope that clears it up.

The kysor medallion speedos on the 99 and up boats have a plug in at the back, no hose like traditional airguide type speedos I looked for the speedo hoses on mi e where are they connected

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everyone,

Well I finally got around to blowing out the speedo lines and I found some debris in the lines. I have been able to make the secondary speedo work, however the primary still does not work. I read in the manual that the switch on the right is to select which speedo you want to use, but I was unable to get it to switch from the secondary to the primary. Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks for all the help!

As they say, :werule:

-Curtis

How about a new Perfect Pass PrecisionGazer GPS speed display? Only $400. :surprised:

Haha, I wish. I've got a Garmin GPS for hiking that's water proof, but I just want all the original equipment to work

Well I took the boat out yesterday and I still wasn't able to switch between speedometers, only the one worked. Maybe the switch is bad? Any other ideas? I will take the switch out next and test it with my voltmeter. Hopefully thats all thats wrong with it.

not sure what "switch" you're talking about.

there is an adjust button for each speedo, but that's it. in order to "switch" the speedo's you would simply unplug each of them and switch the wires.

again, to my original post; did you find the hose from the pickup to the speedo? the back of the kysor medallion speedo's that the 99 and up boats have are wire plug looms, not air hose...

not sure what "switch" you're talking about.

there is an adjust button for each speedo, but that's it. in order to "switch" the speedo's you would simply unplug each of them and switch the wires.

again, to my original post; did you find the hose from the pickup to the speedo? the back of the kysor medallion speedo's that the 99 and up boats have are wire plug looms, not air hose...

According to my owners manual:

"To adjust the speedometer gauges, locate the speedometer adjustment located on the center bottom panel of the dash. The speedometer adjustment is the left-hand button. The right-hand button is the speedometer pickup selection and will regulate which speedometer is being used should one of your speedometer pickup tubes become clogged with debris."

DSCN3250.jpg

The "switch" I'm talking about, is the right hand button. I found where the hoses hook into the kysor medallion unit and blew the out from there back, but only my secondary speedo works. I plan to check out the selection switch tomorrow with my volt meter.

Any other suggestions??

Have you checked the speedo itself by installing a separate line and blowing in to it? The switch sounds like a logical option. Do you have the venturi style pitot pickups, these won't let the debris go up the tube and stay much clearer in a weedy environment.

I have the same dash and setup on my boat, and I think the owners manual is wrong, or assumes you only have one speedo. I am able to adjust the left speedo with the left button, and adjust the right speedo with the right button.

I think the comment about swithing between pickups refers to boats with only one speedo display. Click on the link to see the other type of setup

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/powerimg/m/9091/Jeff_Baird_6.jpg

Have you checked the speedo itself by installing a separate line and blowing in to it? The switch sounds like a logical option. Do you have the venturi style pitot pickups, these won't let the debris go up the tube and stay much clearer in a weedy environment.

I have tried blowing into the speedo unit and still nothing registered on the gauge. I might try to unplug my working speedo and plug in my non-working speedo and see if I can prove that the gauge itself even works.

I'm not sure if I have the venturi style pickups or not, I'll take a look and snap a picture later today.

Maybe the owners manual is wrong, I'm really not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the boat out to the lake the other day, and now the one speedo what was working doesn't work now. What is going on with my speedometers???

• 1 year later...

Still neither speedometer is working. I'll trying blowing out the lines again. What a pain in trying to pull a wakeboarder with no speedo... :(

One of mine finally took a dump on vacation, it started filling up with water and peein on my leg. It did still work, the faster you went the more it filled up.

I checked all, the speedo must have a pinhole or the seal is shot in the little pressure tube assembly.

If anyone has an old one I am willing to purchase. Yes this is the old school pitot type speedo.

MalibuLX3,

Your MDC controls the speedos, based on the air pressure coming in to the MDC from the pickup lines. The MDC as you likely have seen is mounted under the dash, and provides all data electronically to all the gauges. One of the interesting points about the MDC is that it has no specific plug for any gauge. All data goes to all output connectors, and it's up to the gauge to only read the data pertinent to it's function.

As was mentioned, I would pull off both pitot lines at the MDC, and with help use air to blow through them to ensure they are clear. If possible, apply a small around of air pressure to just the line and see if it leaks down. The brass compensator tubes, line connections, or the line itself may have a hole or leak, which will ensure almost no pressure to the MDC.

If the lines are good, re-attach them to the MDC and test run the boat. You have two toggle switches on the dash, both for adjustment only since you have two speedo's. If the gauge is not working at speed, hold the adjustment button "up" and see if the gauge starts moving up. Sometimes due to fiddling the button brings the speedo down to zero for all speeds. If it does not move, and we're now sure that the pitot lines are working properly, you either have a gauge or an MDC fault.

Most Malibu dealers have a test box to check the gauges for operation. If that's not easy to accomplish, verify that the speedo's run through the self-check on key up. (gauges should all vibrate for a few seconds and then move to appropriate display) If they vibrate, there is a better chance that it's the MDC than the gauge, but no guarantees. The test box is a better check.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your very helpful reply Peter. I haven't had a chance to go over the things you mentioned, but as soon as I do, I will report back.