Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Homemade floating wedge for much older Malibu (87 Sunsetter)

rugger

Rugger

We were chatting a while back and you were asking me about the ballast upgrade I did on my 89 - links to picks posted earlier. Just wondering if you may still go that route or not that you have the wedge just do without. I must say that compared to my 09 Wakesetter VTX (Diamond Hull) that the wake I had on my 89 was really not bad at all. Actually I was kinda hoping for more on the new boat. I think the wedge really gives the wake a nice lip, on the new ride I always use the wedge at 88%. 200% being horizontal or up and 0% being fully deployed. I think with a little ballast or some weight in the front you will be really impressed.

Again that is amazing work you have done on that boat. I really wished I had done the stringers on mine but not being able to to that work yourself results in a big bill!

I would be great if you can post some picks of your wake with and without the wedge.

That's exactly the type of info I was looking for. Are you setting it at 88% for wakeboarding or surfing?

Best I can tell, the floating wedge floats some, but mostly drops to the lowest position allowed based on where I set the stops (bolts) when you maintain constant speed. I've played with 2 settings so far, a little pitched and fully deployed. I think I liked it better with a little bit of an pitch, and I've thought of adding one more set of holes for the option to have it up even more.

If anyone else has any input on this i'd appreciate hearing it.

But yeah, my goal was primarily to just use the wedge for rear weight, except on rare occasions. I'm just going to run a locker bag. None of us are experts on the wake anyway and we still ski a fair amount.

Thanks again for the info... still love your 89!

That's exactly the type of info I was looking for. Are you setting it at 88% for wakeboarding or surfing?

Best I can tell, the floating wedge floats some, but mostly drops to the lowest position allowed based on where I set the stops (bolts) when you maintain constant speed. I've played with 2 settings so far, a little pitched and fully deployed. I think I liked it better with a little bit of an pitch, and I've thought of adding one more set of holes for the option to have it up even more.

If anyone else has any input on this i'd appreciate hearing it.

But yeah, my goal was primarily to just use the wedge for rear weight, except on rare occasions. I'm just going to run a locker bag. None of us are experts on the wake anyway and we still ski a fair amount.

Thanks again for the info... still love your 89!

Thanks Rugger. 88% is for wakeboarding ..for surfing I run at 0% or all the way down ..any more I find there is wash in the wake if you use it any more. I think some guys may run it a little more say at 10% max.

Sweet looking boat and cool mod, definately top notch! I'd recommend adding some additional glass to the rear bolt through area.

Add a +/- 500lbs. sack up front and it'll really aid in creating rampier wake and thicker lip, just the wedge in the rear will give a verticle wake by itself.

Sweet looking boat and cool mod, definately top notch! I'd recommend adding some additional glass to the rear bolt through area.

Add a +/- 500lbs. sack up front and it'll really aid in creating rampier wake and thicker lip, just the wedge in the rear will give a verticle wake by itself.

Thanks Malibudude. I'll try the sack up front and I appreciate the insight on the wake.

In regards to the glass, also a good point... and I forgot to mention to the DIYers that my transom was reinforced several years ago when I redid the transom/stringers/floor. Anyone with older boats who want to put on a wedge should know this. My transom is 2 1/4" thick with structural biaxial glass bonding it to the hull and stringers. There are a few pics of this in the main gallery of the link I posted if any older boats want to see.

I do, however, think this design would work anyway as long as you're not bolting to rotten wood. It essentially provides a steel knuckle that also spreads the load. But it's an excellent point especially for any older boats considering this (and I know you're out there because we've had PMs going back and forth).

Edited by rugger
martinarcher

Thanks Malibudude. I'll try the sack up front and I appreciate the insight on the wake.

In regards to the glass, also a good point... and I forgot to mention to the DIYers that my transom was reinforced several years ago when I redid the transom/stringers/floor. Anyone with older boats who want to put on a wedge should know this. My transom is 2 1/4" thick with structural biaxial glass bonding it to the hull and stringers. There are a few pics of this in the main gallery of the link I posted if any older boats want to see.

I do, however, think this design would work anyway as long as you're not bolting to rotten wood. It essentially provides a steel knuckle that also spreads the load. But it's an excellent point especially for any older boats considering this (and I know you're out there because we've had PMs going back and forth).

Biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Your boat looks fantastic!

What kind of steering wheel do you have? I am at that part of my 93 Sunsetter project boat.

Thank you,

Ken

Between you and Martin I couldn't feel more behind the 8-Ball...

I really love knowing that sweet Old School Malibu's are still out there

Edited by Levi900RR

To those who PM'd about the electrical swtich on the wedge, I added a pic that better shows what it is. Think it was a CPM waterproof limit or something like that.

http://picasaweb.google.com/myfourday/MalibuCustomFloatingWedgeFor87#5487294849410988018

Kengrutza.... Thanks, but no idea. The wheel was an ebay purchase.

Levi900RR... Thanks. I don't know about being behind the 8 ball though, your boat is great. I only fixed mine up because I was too stupid to check for wood rot when I bought it way back when.

Levi900RR... Thanks. I don't know about being behind the 8 ball though, your boat is great. I only fixed mine up because I was too stupid to check for wood rot when I bought it way back when.

HAHAHAHAHA, Whatever caused you to do what you did is a blessing... not stupid. That boat is a keeper.

• 2 years later...

Rugger

I would like to fabricate a floating wedge but don`t have access to a boat equiped with a floating wedge that I could take mesurements on, did you keep your mesurements? Thanks

I ended up buying the boat and have been asked that question quite a bit. I ended up making a drawing f the wedge to help others that might want to make one. The only error in the drawing is the foil plate is 1/4" stainless not 3/16" like the drawing says.

FoilDrawing.png

FoilDrawing.png

• 2 weeks later...

Martinarcher,

would that foil design work with the old wedge bracket? I have a 2001 with the original wedge bracket (no foil) and would like to add a foil. Do you know a way to make floating type foil work on the older bracket?

• 2 months later...

I had a welding shop copy a fixed wedge a buddy loaned me. The shop welded it out of aluminum, the foil is a little thicker as they cut rectangular holes in it with 45 degree angles ground out on the top and bottom to allow for a stronger weld to the arms. The pipes the support locking pins are also welded, so more strength and was told by the welder if a repair is need they can be easily cut out and re welded. They had some old aluminum so $30 for that and $200 labor. Can't wait to try it.

what about the bracket dimensions?

Also, this is going to be the dumb question of the day, but since my 98 response doesn't have a wedge.....

You call it a floating wedge, yet it is pinned in one slot? Or am I just thinking of it wrong?

I have a plasma cam that I can cut all the material out on, then weld together. Should be pretty easy.

Thanks

martinarcher

Martinarcher,

would that foil design work with the old wedge bracket? I have a 2001 with the original wedge bracket (no foil) and would like to add a foil. Do you know a way to make floating type foil work on the older bracket?

Also, this is going to be the dumb question of the day, but since my 98 response doesn't have a wedge.....

You call it a floating wedge, yet it is pinned in one slot? Or am I just thinking of it wrong?

I have a plasma cam that I can cut all the material out on, then weld together. Should be pretty easy.

Thanks

I'll have to get some dimensions of the bracket. I know it was modeled after the legit floating wedge bracket. The important part is the width of the two stainless tabs the wedge bolts to. The other dimension that is of importance is how far form the transom the mounting hole is, and how far form the bottom of the transom it is. The last bit that is less important, but more for tuning is a stop that the wedge can rest on to first, prevent it from swinging into the hull, and second, set the deployed angle of the foil. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks

I'll have to get some dimensions of the bracket. I know it was modeled after the legit floating wedge bracket. The important part is the width of the two stainless tabs the wedge bolts to. The other dimension that is of importance is how far form the transom the mounting hole is, and how far form the bottom of the transom it is. The last bit that is less important, but more for tuning is a stop that the wedge can rest on to first, prevent it from swinging into the hull, and second, set the deployed angle of the foil. I'll see what I can come up with.

I don't remember dimensions either but that wedge is definitely narrower than the Malibu's OEM wedge, because the 87 has narrower exhaust ports, and the bracket holes were different because it also had an angled transom. Otherwise, this wedge was modeled straight after the OEM. You could follow the above illustration, but just add width. Hope that helps.