Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Homemade floating wedge for much older Malibu (87 Sunsetter)

rugger

Only a few may find this useful ("Square Windshield Club", right guys?) . Hopefully the other 90% will at least get a laugh out of it and appreciate their boats even more.

I rebuilt my boat a few years ago after a lot of use, and decided to extend it's performance a little more with a custom wedge. The transoms in these early boats are too narrow in the center (exhaust is closer together), they weren't reinforced and they were angled. So I always thought I would modify a factory wedge someday, then build a custom inside bracket. As I started drawing it up, I ended up making the whole thing. It performs exactly like a factory version, but the arms are narrower (same size foil), the bracket is angled and curves around the exhaust ports and is wider at the top to spread the load better. I also made a few other little tweaks to the design for my purpose.

The inner transom ended up spanning across both stringers like a giant T shape, with a lateral piece of stainless welded to it that actually bolts to the stringers via epoxied stainless steel inserts. I'm no engineer, but this seemed like a very strong solution for all the various stresses I could think of. I was mostly concerned about the narrow part of the transom. I made the angle part of the bracket, and the tank, an inch or so thigher so I could have plenty of room to service the rudder if ever needed without taking stuff apart. Cost was only about $400, but welding was free.

I've only been out twice so far, but I'm already thrilled with the results. I'm stilll playing around with it (started off with the stops earlier that keep it from being full deployed, then moved them to the fully deployed position. Not sure which I like better yet. The ramp is bigger, but also a lot steeper. I'd like to see if I can smooth it out some (forward ballast probably?), but if not -- its a keeper and I love the absence of a ton of bags in my boat. Too many kids in there for that.

Not as pretty as the real thing, but neither is my boat. I actually like building stuff, regardless whether it makes sense or not. Sorry if I got carried away with so many pics, but I still think it's cool seeing a 23 year old ski boat with a wedge.

http://picasaweb.google.com/myfourday/MalibuCustomFloatingWedgeFor87#

Edited by rugger

Not as pretty as the real thing, but neither is my boat. I actually like building stuff,

You're too modest.

That thing looks factory fantastic!

Good for you, that design looks bomb-proof. :rockon:

martinarcher

Yeah Square Windshield Club! Rockon.gif

Glad to see this post on the Crew! You worked long and hard on it. I think it turned out fantastic and looks like a professionally designed/built Malibu part. Well done! Glad I got to be a small part of the "design". Biggrin.gif It was awesome seeing the project come together. You are going to push me to pull my fuel tank and re-enforce my transom just yet! Whistling.gif

Now I want some wedge/no wedge wake pics! My crew and I are sick of hopping over bags so this would be awesome! Go classic Bu! Rockon.gif

Edited by martinarcher

Only a few may find this useful ("Square Windshield Club", right guys?) . Hopefully the other 90% will at least get a laugh out of it and appreciate their boats even more.

I rebuilt my boat a few years ago after a lot of use, and decided to extend it's performance a little more with a custom wedge. The transoms in these early boats are too narrow in the center (exhaust is closer together), they weren't reinforced and they were angled. So I always thought I would modify a factory wedge someday, then build a custom inside bracket. As I started drawing it up, I ended up making the whole thing. It performs exactly like a factory version, but the arms are narrower (same size foil), the bracket is angled and curves around the exhaust ports and is wider at the top to spread the load better. I also made a few other little tweaks to the design for my purpose.

The inner transom ended up spanning across both stringers like a giant T shape, with a lateral piece of stainless welded to it that actually bolts to the stringers via epoxied stainless steel inserts. I'm no engineer, but this seemed like a very strong solution for all the various stresses I could think of. I was mostly concerned about the narrow part of the transom. I made the angle part of the bracket, and the tank, an inch or so thigher so I could have plenty of room to service the rudder if ever needed without taking stuff apart. Cost was only about $400, but welding was free.

I've only been out twice so far, but I'm already thrilled with the results. I'm stilll playing around with it (started off with the stops earlier that keep it from being full deployed, then moved them to the fully deployed position. Not sure which I like better yet. The ramp is bigger, but also a lot steeper. I'd like to see if I can smooth it out some (forward ballast probably?), but if not -- its a keeper and I love the absence of a ton of bags in my boat. Too many kids in there for that.

Not as pretty as the real thing, but neither is my boat. I actually like building stuff, regardless whether it makes sense or not. Sorry if I got carried away with so many pics, but I still think it's cool seeing a 23 year old ski boat with a wedge.

http://picasaweb.google.com/myfourday/MalibuCustomFloatingWedgeFor87#

are you kidding, that looks great!! nice job.

DSC00756.JPG

You did an amazing job on that boat. I spend a lot of $$ on mine but the beauty of yours is you did it all your self. Here are the picks of my 89.

You have one of the nicest looking older ski boats I have ever seen! I love seeing pics of restored boats even more then fresh off the line new ones. That thing is a beauty!

Oh...you are totally 100% too modest. That boat is gorgeous. I saved the picture album to my computer and what you have done is my goal for this winter. I'm planning to do a lot of work on my '93. New graphics, new rub rail, really wet sand the gel, new vents, rechrome some parts - that sort of thing. That wedge is incredible and your work is 2nd to nothing I have ever seen. Congrats!

Great, right when i think my boat is "done", nope. I'm going to look into a building a wedge for mine now. Both boats look really good. I really like the Malibu classics.

Impressive work. I don't think anyone on this site gets tired of looking at DIY projects especially as challenging as yours.

very nice design and installation.

what does the electrical wiring provide?

Thanks all. Looks better in pics than in person, like anything I guess. But I am happy with the results.

The electical wires are for a limit switch I threw on there - to indicate on the dash when the wedge is down. Not totally neccessary, but my wife was concerned about leaving the wedge down all the time (even though it drives a little different). Then again, we're the knuckleheads who've tried to pull away with the anchor down on more than one occassion.

Anyway... found a perfect waterproof limit switch for it, which is connected to one of the LED indicator lights on the dash (that's why there was a dash pic in the wedge gallery). Like I said, not required, but I like it and it was easy to add. The stainless switch bracket and lever lined up perfect with the arms; it almost looks stock for the wedge.

The only other real change I made is using a straight stainless pin instead of bolting it to the bracket for personal preference. Other than that I tried to copycat the best i could. I try to post a lot of pics of my projects to "give back" so to speak since this site is so helpful to me for other things.

When I do finally decide to upgrade boats (when the kids are older) ... I'll definitely have to find a good home for this one. :)

Edited by rugger
martinarcher

Agreed....that's not a boat you can sell to any dude off the street.

My wife makes fun of me when I sell my stuff. Right now I have a car for sale that was a "project". It's had a motor swap and full turbo charger install and countless other "mods". She says I should set up an interview with each seller and see if they qualify to take care of my "baby" before moving onto the sale. LOL.gif

You get attached to stuff after you pour hours and hours of your time into it! It's hard to see it go!

That is really impressive! Your fabrication skills are top-notch. Did you fabricate just the bracket or the entire unit including the wedge?

martinarcher

That is really impressive! Your fabrication skills are top-notch. Did you fabricate just the bracket or the entire unit including the wedge?

He made the entire thing. It's totally custom.

Rugger

We were chatting a while back and you were asking me about the ballast upgrade I did on my 89 - links to picks posted earlier. Just wondering if you may still go that route or not that you have the wedge just do without. I must say that compared to my 09 Wakesetter VTX (Diamond Hull) that the wake I had on my 89 was really not bad at all. Actually I was kinda hoping for more on the new boat. I think the wedge really gives the wake a nice lip, on the new ride I always use the wedge at 88%. 200% being horizontal or up and 0% being fully deployed. I think with a little ballast or some weight in the front you will be really impressed.

Again that is amazing work you have done on that boat. I really wished I had done the stringers on mine but not being able to to that work yourself results in a big bill!

I would be great if you can post some picks of your wake with and without the wedge.