Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extra Computer?

geogilbert

I ended up replacing the ECM on my 97 Sunsetter (320 Monsoon) and as it turns out there was nothing wrong with the original. So now I have an extra one. It seams that they no longer make these ECM and the replacements are refurbished.

My question is this: These seem very expensive and i was wondering if there was any thing I could do with the extra computer?

Hard to say. You could call the dealer and tell them you need a new one and want to know how much they cost. Then cut that number in half and start there.

Fortunately, fuel ECMs dont' fail on these boats much so, it'd be hard to find someone that actually needs one.

• 1 month later...

I have been doing a lot of research into the ECM. I have a 1996 RLX and it has what I think is the GM MEFI-2 Unit. It has a sticker with Model No. 16210729 on the backside of the unit. The dealer charges $1000 for a reconditioned MEFI-2 unit.

The best I can tell they started making the MEFI-3 unit in 2000 and in 2003 they came out with the MEFI-4 unit.

None of the units can be swapped without reprogramming them. Boats equipped with MEFI-1 can upgrade to MEFI-2 without any wiring updates. You need to rewire your boat to upgrade from MEFI-2 to MEFI-3 or MEFI-4

The MEFI 1-4 units can only be programmed with WinCal a program supplied by Indmar to their distributors. They can be monitored with a $580 program called Diacom+ that is available from Rinda Technologies

The MEFI-4 unit also has a standard CAN Bus interface and uses J1939 broadcast messages so the information is more available. Perhaps there will be some OpenSource code that we can use to monitor and modify the calibration tables by ourselves in a short period of time. Unfortunately upgrading to MEFI-4 costs thousands of dollars.