Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Box Anchor

aitkel

Yea, I hear that.

What about making it from steel & having it galvanized?

That's what I did. I wish I could have welded the teeth and hinges but instead I used a combination of screws and JB weld. It's not as pretty but I only have about $15 in mine and about 8 hours in mine (good garage and beer time!) Pics are not galvanized at that point but it is done now. I was able to use some scrap material from work which kept my cost down.

post-8316-126399030968_thumb.jpg

post-8316-12639903178_thumb.jpg

That's what I did. I wish I could have welded the teeth and hinges but instead I used a combination of screws and JB weld. It's not as pretty but I only have about $15 in mine and about 8 hours in mine (good garage and beer time!) Pics are not galvanized at that point but it is done now. I was able to use some scrap material from work which kept my cost down.

Nicely done Ndawg, it looks like about what I would make becasue i can do all kinds of things with basic mechanical skills but don't carry the requisite welding skills. Appears as though both of us need a welding class and a welder on our birthday lists.

too much of each.

The second one would go a lot faster, but likely still would be 5 hours.

Not sure about cost yet but around $150 It is all Stainless

Where did you get your hinges? I think that's going to be my weakest link?

looks good your teeth look a lot longer than mine, which might be good, I was guessing on the length.

Yea, I hear that.

What about making it from steel & having it galvanized?

After it is used a bit the galvanized coating wears off and it can rust. The old anchor we had stained the carpet

After it is used a bit the galvanized coating wears off and it can rust. The old anchor we had stained the carpet

I completely guessed on the teeth also, I could see it both good or bad being longer. What did your final wieght end up being? Mine is only about 13lbs. I might add some 3/4 bar along both sides to add some weight if I feel that it's not holding well. I wish I would have seen them hinges before for $16! Mine were $4 total at Lowes Whistling.gif so we'll see how long they hold up, easy change out if need be. I know the coating will wear off, probably after even one use, but I've got a waterproof storage bag for it.

Anyways, an overall fun project!!

Right on. Good price. No worries on the garage / beer time..... I have plenty of that these days. Built up a golf cart so far.... considering a barstool racer next.

Will be interesting to hear how your galvanizing works out. I guess thats why their typically made of stainless. :Doh:

Right on. Good price. No worries on the garage / beer time..... I have plenty of that these days. Built up a golf cart so far.... considering a barstool racer next.

Will be interesting to hear how your galvanizing works out. I guess thats why their typically made of stainless. :Doh:

Bakes site says there's is hot dipped, I'm sure that's a little more durable than a cold spray, but it if they aren't made from stainless then I would think they would be rusting too. Any know if they are stainless, or anyone experienced any rusting?

You should name that thing "The Claw".

Bakes site says there's is hot dipped, I'm sure that's a little more durable than a cold spray, but it if they aren't made from stainless then I would think they would be rusting too. Any know if they are stainless, or anyone experienced any rusting?

No rust on mine, they are not stainless are far as I know. Pretty sure it's hot dipped galvanized. Pretty durable coating.

No rust on mine, they are not stainless are far as I know. Pretty sure it's hot dipped galvanized. Pretty durable coating.

That's what mine is. It's two years old and not rusted a bit......yet. In 5 years I'll probably wish I spent the $$ for the stainless one. I bet powder coating would work fairly well for several years. If it was just painted it would need a re-coat every year.

You should name that thing "The Claw".

Ha! I think that's all ready been taken. I should call it the biter, that thing will bite a finger quick if you're not careful!!

Edited by Ndawg12