Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Airhead womens 135cm Wakeboard for beginner?

MaddMaxx

My wife has never wakeboarded before. She has gotten up on two skiis before, but didn't ski often. We bought a VLX and now she wants to try wakeboarding. There is a 2008 Airhead womens 135cm wakeboard for sale on craigslist for $125.00. Would this be a good beginner board for her? Not worried about price. Worried that she starts off with the right board to get her up, learn and want to keep wakeboarding. If you have suggestions for a better board, I'm all ears. Thank you.

It's been along time since I bought a wakeboard. But unless she is pretty tall, that sounds too big. I am 5'6 and ride a 132.

just my 2 cents.

The trend over the past couple of years is to go bigger. I'm 5'3 & ride a 135. Unless she's really tiny, the size should be fine & if she's over 150 lbs, may want to look at a 137-138.

Don't know anything about Airhead though, sorry.

Really need to know here weight, wakeboards are sized by the rider weight.

You might compare to some on sale at Overtons. Several womens boards with good boots <$200.

Edited by Soon2BV

Wakegirl, you made me smile this morning. Thank you. She is about 5'6" and right now about 150 to 160lbs. Ever since we bought this boat, we've both been changing our eating habits and trying to exercise more to get in shape for next season. She's doing well and I'm proud of her.

BTW, if the board is still for sale, I'm going to buy it. For $125, if she doesn't like it, I'll buy her a different one and keep this one for guests.

I think that's a good plan. It's hard to find a decent board for less than $200. Heck even if she only uses it for 1 season & decides that she wants something different, it's not a bad investment.

One recommendation that I will make is to not skimp on the bindings. She won't enjoy it if her feet hurt or if the bindings don't fit. Buy some that are comfortable with good support, & try to put her in a ladies-specific boot rather than a men's or unisex (unless she's got really wide feet). Our feet are just different. :) I found some '08 Liquid Force Wings on closeout late in the summer for around $150 & I really like them. Another good one is the Ronix Rise. CWB makes a couple of good ladies-specific boots as well, but after trying them on I didn't find them to be quite as comfortable. I've ridden both the Rise & Wing, & find them comfortable, supportive & easy entry.

JM2C