Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

After 10 months of ownership I'm not sure

Completely lock - VERY difficult to move & if you attempt to push through it, expect to pretty much floor your tow vehicle. If you have brakes on both axles, don't expect to be able to over-ride the trailer with your tow vehicle.

How far depressed is the plunger when you typically stop?

Should be no more than 1/2 - 3/4 of the travel for your tandem.

If the overall system is that low, I'd expect you'd want to flush the system in addition to bleeding the brakes.

Completely lock - VERY difficult to move & if you attempt to push through it, expect to pretty much floor your tow vehicle. If you have brakes on both axles, don't expect to be able to over-ride the trailer with your tow vehicle.

How far depressed is the plunger when you typically stop?

Should be no more than 1/2 - 3/4 of the travel for your tandem.

If the overall system is that low, I'd expect you'd want to flush the system in addition to bleeding the brakes.

I've got a nice Sunday planned with the trailer, boat and the shop!!!

Another Plus1.gif for BoatMate Probably easier to read from bottom to top - if you're interested.

Thanks for all the great info. I printed off all 3 manuals and I’m ready to go this weekend. Hopefully I can get this taken care of and the trailer will last me a few years before the previous salt water exposure takes it’s toll.

Thanks again,

Nathan Nemire

BBI DOT Supervisor

(704)516-9824

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:01 PM

To: 'Nate Nemire'

Subject: RE: Boatmate Trailers Web Contact Form

I don’t have your trailer’s VIN to confirm this……but since it is a tandem axle ’06 Malibu, it should have brakes on both axles.

The hub oil change is a no-brainer. Just jack up the wheel (if you have aluminum wheels with center caps, you will need to remove the wheel to access the drain/fill plug), remove the drain/fill plug, rotate the port to the 6 o’clock position to drain, rotate to the 12 o’clock position to fill, fill with SAE 50 weight motor oil (I like synthetics, but that’s just personal preference), apply thread sealant to the threads of the plug, and torque it to 30 inch pounds. It is much easier to re-fill the hub with a syringe…..trying to use a funnel is problematic……hole is too small and wants to burp a lot. It is important to make sure it is completely fulkl and has no air bubbles…….the presence of an air bubble can invite water intrusion.

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:42 PM

To: 'Jerry Jones'

Wow!!! Now in my case would I be looking at 2 or 4 ( x $79.75)? In the 10 months that I’ve owned this thing I’ve never worried about anything on the trailer so I have no idea if all 4 have disc or drum or just 2??!! A buddy of mine (who is very mechanically inclined) is going to help me this Sunday. He is interested in seeing how the hub oil works cause and I both thought they were just greased. I will keep looking through the info you sent me for some information on the hub oil.

Thanks,

Nathan Nemire

BBI DOT Supervisor

(704)516-9824

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:24 PM

Bleeding the brakes should only take 30 minutes or so. Changing the hub oil is probably a one hour job…..maybe 1.5 hours on a tandem. If you have stuck caliper(s), there’s will the work will start. Sometimes you can get them to free up by working them back and forth with alternating pressure in both directions, but you’re looking at $79.75 each if they need to be replaced. To my knowledge, there is not a rebuild kit available.

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:56 AM

I would imagine I do have a stuck caliper. Sounds like I’ve got a whole days work and a 12 pack ahead of me this weekend!

Thanks,

Nathan Nemire

BBI DOT Supervisor

(704)516-9824

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:28 AM

Yeap, salt/brackish water will kill a non-galvanized frame in short order……typically 4 to 7 years depending on frequency of use, salt content, etc…

If the trailer has been used in salt water and not rinsed after every use, one (or more) of your calipers may be sticking or seized. If bleeding the brake system doesn’t bring your brakes back to life, you should probably check the calipers to make sure they are working freely.

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:02 AM

By the way, I posted your response on themalibucrew.com, hopefully you’re aware of that site, it might be some good advertising for you 

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....23142&st=20

My trailer was used in salt water for the first 2 years, I’ve heard this is a killer for box framed trailers. When I replaced and carpeted my bunks this summer I noticed the supports were well on their way out so I would look for me to be in contact with you for a replacement trailer in a few years!!

Thanks again,

Nathan Nemire

BBI DOT Supervisor

(704)516-9824

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:09 AM

No problem.

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:55 AM

Awesome information, thanks a bunch Jerry.

Thanks,

Nathan Nemire

BBI DOT Supervisor

(704)516-9824

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:31 AM

Nate,

The brake fluid is DOT3.

If the brakes aren’t working, the first thing I would do is to check the fluid level. If it’s is low or dry, that is most likely the culprit and the lines will need to be bled thoroughly to purge all of the air out. One small bubble at the head of the system will cause them not to work properly (or at all) and will take a while to expel that bubble if it’s near the actuator end of the line. If it’s low or dry, after bleeding the brakes, make sure you check it over closely for leaks. The level usually doesn’t drop very much without a reason. Although the fluid level drops slightly as the brake pads wear, it shouldn’t drop enough to suck air into the system.

I’ve attached a PDF on the brake actuator. Bleeding the brakes is covered on pages 24 and 25.

I’ve also attached a PDF on the disc brakes and the hubs. Although the brakes do not require any service, the hub oil should be changed every other year. So, if it’s never been done, it’s due.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jerry

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:02 AM

To: [email protected]; [email protected]

Subject: Boatmate Trailers Web Contact Form

Name: Nate Nemire

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 7045169824

Addr1: 5742 Bentgrass Run Drive

Addr2:

City: Charlotte

State: NC

Zip: 28269

Comments: I have an '06 tandem boatmate trailer that came with my Malibu boat. I don't believe it was ever serviced before I bought it. I had to stop rather quickly the other day and it didn't feel like the trailer helped me at all. My main question is what is the recommended fluid for my trailer. Any other help or insight would be appreciated.

submit: Submit

No virus found in this incoming message.

Pretty good, fast, accurate responses from Boat mate.

I'm impressed.

So was I, I inquired about getting some bunk measurements and even wanted to buy carpet from them if possible a few months ago. Emailed them twice and never heard back. So, today, I like them Whistling.gif

Pretty good, fast, accurate responses from Boat mate.

I'm impressed.

So was I, I inquired about getting some bunk measurements and even wanted to buy carpet from them if possible a few months ago. Emailed them twice and never heard back. So, today, I like them Whistling.gif

So often it is simply a matter of which employee answers the phone . . . . and whether or not he/she is in New Delhi.