Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Echelon, Sportster, Response?

Bill W

Heya - I've been lurking for a while now and reading and learning a lot. I'm actively looking into getting my very first ski/wake boat and have pretty much landed on Malibu's. I need some real help. I'm looking used because two mortgages (#2 is lakefront) and I honestly don't know if I can pull-off "new".

Anyway, so I slalom but only for fun, just tried wakeboarding this season and LOVE it but I think I'll be good with an intermediate wake. Haven't tried barefoot yet but hope to before end of season this year.

SO - knowing this boat would be lakefront and covered on a lift and that I would love to have your guys and gals thoughts on what I should be looking at...

I'm about 200lbs and really like the look of the open bows, plus I think since this will quickly become an adult family boat, the extra space will be handy. Budget is a range of $15-$25K. Since this is the first I'm trying to research as much as possible but at some point I need some experienced opinions.

Any thoughts, pointers, very much appreciated - there are just SOOO many choices and options... Surprised.gif

First off, welcome to the site. It is indeed a great resource. That said, I'm sure many here will have an different opinion on what boat to buy. Based on what you're looking to do, I'd spend on the higher end of your spectrum. You should be able to get a Sunsetter Lxi with that kind of dough and IMO that's a pretty damn good all-in-one boat. Check out flipsell.com or iboats.com for pricing. Good luck.

If it were me I would first decide on what you want to spend because there is a huge difference between what you can get with $15k and what you can get with $25k.

If you decide to go the direct drive route, $25k is going to get you a 2000-2001 boat in very nice shape with low hours.

$15k is going to get you an older boat (probably older than 1996).

Mike

I'd look at a pre-LXI (non diamond) Sunsetter LX. Say 1998. Gets you a nice walk through open bow in the lower end of the price range that you specified. Since you're not heavily into slalom, and interested in barefoot, the Sportster LX would by my choice for you if you want a newer boat, say 2000 and up. It has a great footing wake and gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

Since you ski and you are now getting into wakeboarding I would suggest a Sunsetter. We bought our 1999 Sunsetter LXi last summer in the low 20's so you should be able to find a boat like this. It will throw a pretty good ski wake and with the wedge and a few fat sacks it will throw a great wakeboarding or surfing wake (you might love surfing to if you try it). Overall its a great down the middle boat.

BTW welcome to the site! :)

I had a '94 Echelon LX for 11 years and now have an '03 Sunsetter LXI. As most have said it's a terrific compromise for all around. IMHO there is no comparison to Echelon in terms of the people inside the boat, much more comfortable and way better ride. Slalom wake is also good enough and very close to the Echelon, though the Response is a bit better I suppose. Also as noted above you can easily set it up for wakeboarding then back it off to slalom and have a nice clean wake. If you go with a wake boat, then decide to slalom and barefoot, it is less than optimum, especially at shorter line lengths (slalom). I got my '03 for a smidge more than your 25k upper limit, so it's definitely do-able. My Echelon trade just sold in the $13-14k range, but was immaculate with only about 200 hours. Good luck!

in the lower end of the price range that you specified.

Dude, it's not our money. Go wild. Biggrin.gif

I had a '94 Echelon LX for 11 years and now have an '03 Sunsetter LXI.  As most have said it's a terrific compromise for all around.  IMHO there is no comparison to Echelon in terms of the people inside the boat, much more comfortable and way better ride.  Slalom wake is also good enough and very close to the Echelon, though the Response is a bit better I suppose.  Also as noted above you can easily set it up for wakeboarding then back it off to slalom and have a nice clean wake.  If you go with a wake boat, then decide to slalom and barefoot, it is less than optimum, especially at shorter line lengths (slalom). I got my '03 for a smidge more than your 25k upper limit, so it's definitely do-able.  My Echelon trade just sold in the $13-14k range, but was immaculate with only about 200 hours.  Good luck!
in the lower end of the price range that you specified.

Dude, it's not our money. Go wild. Biggrin.gif

Dang you must have gotten one heck of a deal!

so I slalom but only for fun, just tried wakeboarding this season and LOVE it but I think I'll be good with an intermediate wake.  Haven't tried barefoot yet but hope to before end of season this year. . .plus I think since this will quickly become an adult family boat, the extra space will be handy.

Sunsetter.

Looks like a lot of Sunsetter recommendations.

Is the Sportster to small or to much of a skiboat to put out a decent wakeboard wake? There is a nice looking '02 LX locally with 120hrs black, yellow with TitanII tower and manual wedge, it a 310hp carb (which is the main down spot in what I've read regarding carb vs EFI engines). That and it's just so small, I'm thinking I'd have to upgrade in about 3 years due to additional family, etc and I'd like to get a couple more years than 3 out of such a sizeable purchase (does that make sense?)

Many have said wait for the winter boat shows for really good deals as well but with the range I'm looking at I'm not sure that's really going to matter. I haven't been to any shows so I don't have an expectation either way... do dealers "deal" on their avail. used boats at boats shows as well or are those pretty strictly geared to moving new inventory? :unsure:

Just a little FYI, you should put your location in your personal information. If others know where you're located, they might be able to refer you to a boat in your area that you otherwise may not have found.

Looks like a lot of Sunsetter recommendations. 

Is the Sportster to small or to much of a skiboat to put out a decent wakeboard wake?  There is a nice looking '02 LX locally with 120hrs  black, yellow with TitanII tower and manual wedge, it a 310hp carb (which is the main down spot in what I've read regarding carb vs EFI engines). That and it's just so small, I'm thinking I'd have to upgrade in about 3 years due to additional family, etc and I'd like to get a couple more years than 3 out of such a sizeable purchase (does that make sense?)

Many have said wait for the winter boat shows for really good deals as well but with the range I'm looking at I'm not sure that's really going to matter.  I haven't been to any shows so I don't have an expectation either way... do dealers "deal" on their avail. used boats at boats shows as well or are those pretty strictly geared to moving new inventory? :unsure:

That's it right in a nutshell. The Sportster is a very small boat, & most people end up trading out in a few years for something a little larger. If you're that evenly split on the different disciplines, then either an Echelon or Sunsetter LX would be a great choice for you (I'd lean toward the Sunsetter for longevity sake, it's a little larger with a bit more storage on board).

Is the Sportster to small or to much of a skiboat to put out a decent wakeboard wake? There is a nice looking '02 LX locally with 120hrs black, yellow with TitanII tower and manual wedge, it a 310hp carb (which is the main down spot in what I've read regarding carb vs EFI engines). That and it's just so small, I'm thinking I'd have to upgrade in about 3 years due to additional family, etc and I'd like to get a couple more years than 3 out of such a sizeable purchase (does that make sense?)

The best way to judge if a Sporty will work for you is to figure how many people you are going to have in the boat. A driver, an observer and the skier are about all you really want to take in a Sporty. The Response (non LXI) and Echelon are very much the same in terms of # people you want in the boat. If you have 4 or more people, the Sporty/Response/Echelon is not going to work for you. You did say that you are lakefront so you are not taking daytrips on the lake. Still, the sporty is just a small boat. However, if you are only taking yourself and two other people, the sporty has a great slalom wake, excellent footing wake and the darksiders around here say it can have a decent wakeboard wake with some weight.

If you need something bigger, the Sunsetter is a great choice. I have skied/driven a 2001 SLXi and it is a fantastic boat. It skis almost as well as the Response line, but has a ton more room and storage space.

Your profile doesn't say where you are located. Let us know as there may be someone in the area on this board who can assist.

Edited by martho

Give No Wake Marine a call at 513 469-WAKE. They usually have some used boats on the lot and can give you some great advice. I have known them for quite a while and they are a great bunch to work with.

BTW - Which lake do you own property at?

I am not sure if you have considered a 21XTI, but if you would like to go out in one, give me a PM and we can take you out.

The XTI is a little higher price than you are looking to spend but it definately gives you an idea of what's out there.

SV

If you do decide to look at the Sunsetter, make sure that you differentiate between the LX and the LXi. The LX is geared more towards wakeboarding while the LXi is geared more towards slalom FWIW.

Daniel

The best way to judge if a Sporty will work for you is to figure how many people you are going to have in the boat. A driver, an observer and the skier are about all you really want to take in a Sporty. The Response (non LXI) and Echelon are very much the same in terms of # people you want in the boat. If you have 4 or more people, the Sporty/Response/Echelon is not going to work for you. You did say that you are lakefront so you are not taking daytrips on the lake. Still, the sporty is just a small boat. However, if you are only taking yourself and two other people, the sporty has a great slalom wake, excellent footing wake and the darksiders around here say it can have a decent wakeboard wake with some weight.

If you need something bigger, the Sunsetter is a great choice. I have skied/driven a 2001 SLXi and it is a fantastic boat. It skis almost as well as the Response line, but has a ton more room and storage space.

Your profile doesn't say where you are located. Let us know as there may be someone in the area on this board who can assist.

Good points all around. Each boat the SLX (now called the Wakesetter) or the SLXI 99-04 model years are the two boats that fit the bill you're looking at. The SLX is better for wakeboarding while the SLXI is better for slaloming but both boats are great crossover boats just depends which one you lean toward more. The SLXI does have 18 cubic feet of storage in the rear trunk, therefore, no gear needs to come into the boat.

The 310 in the sportster is plenty, but the size is the real issue as you pointed out.

Is the Sportster to small or to much of a skiboat to put out a decent wakeboard wake?

The 310 in the sportster is plenty, but the size is the real issue as you pointed out.

The sporty is a great boat for small groups. Like pointed out earlier, it has a fantastic footin' wake, very good slalom wake, and because the boat is narrower it doesn't take much weight for a good wakeboard wake (though it is certainly no LSV). Someone ealier said driver, observer and skier only...I wouldn't go that far (unless of course your slalom skiing then that's all that should be there Biggrin.gif ). With an extended pylon (or tower) you can put three across the back, two in the observers seat and a few munchkins in the bow (plus the driver). With that many people...no additional ballast is required. It's a very good boat for teaching kids how to wakeboard as the wake is not intimidating. The wake behind Troy's LSV scared my boys. :lol:

Good luck with your decision. :) The Sunsetter is definitely roomier but when comparing equivalent years/condition it will also cost more.

Heya - I've been lurking for a while now and reading and learning a lot.  I'm actively looking into getting my very first ski/wake boat and have pretty much landed on Malibu's.  I need some real help.  I'm looking used because two mortgages (#2 is lakefront) and I honestly don't know if I can pull-off "new".

Anyway, so I slalom but only for fun, just tried wakeboarding this season and LOVE it but I think I'll be good with an intermediate wake.  Haven't tried barefoot yet but hope to before end of season this year.

SO - knowing this boat would be lakefront and covered on a lift and that I would love to have your guys and gals thoughts on what I should be looking at...

I'm about 200lbs and really like the look of the open bows, plus I think since this will quickly become an adult family boat, the extra space will be handy.  Budget is a range of $15-$25K. Since this is the first I'm trying to research as much as possible but at some point I need some experienced opinions.

Any thoughts, pointers, very much appreciated - there are just SOOO many choices and options... Surprised.gif

Yahoo.gif I have a 94 Echelon with a Wedge and use an extended pylon. I love the flat ski wake and it puts up a great wakeboarding wake too(pre-Diamond hull). For a reference, a 97 Echelon with approx.225 hrs went for $15500 on E-Bay last week.