Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

??maybe tranny??

Well I could just be hearing things but I thought I would pick your brains a little. I had kind of a snowball effect happen yesterday and now I think I am hearing a little clunking in reverse. It all started with the two bolts on the alternator shearing off while surfing last week. They must of vibrated loose somehow without my knowledge and then sheared under the pressure. That was not a hard fix. Just tapped out the old bolts and put in some new grade 8 bolts. The problem I had next is that when the alternator fell off it must of hurt one of the water hoses below it when it came off. I was on the lake yesterday and the water hose exploded as I was going down the lake. It was early monday afternoon so there was no one on the lake to ask help from. I tied a rag around the rupture and limped back to the dock. The engine was about 230 degrees as I limped back. As you could imagine I was taking on a lot of water from the busted line. The bilge was pumping away but I didnt think I would do any more damage. But now after I replaced the hose I feel like I am hearing a clunking sound when I put it in reverse. Not the normal whining sound out of the tranny but more of a slight clunking sound. I could just be really paranoid because of the last couple of ruff outings. My question is, is the the transmission fully sealed or is there an air vent on the top like on a truck. I am wondering if maybe I could of somehow taken in water into the transmission when I was limping into the dock. Thanks in advance, so far you gals and guys have helped with all of my other problems.. By the way this is on a 1997 Sunsetter Lx 320hp direct drive

Sorry to hear!

Was it the line to the tranny cooler that ruptured?

What's your tranny fluid look like?

No it was the water line that comes off of the right side of the impeller assembly and goes around the alternator. I didn't have any problems back towards the transmission. I was just wondering if there was a possibility of water getting in because the engine compartment was filling with water. I pulled the dipstick out and the fluid looked perfect. I pulled both plugs before putting it back into storage. I am going to go look it at it again today after sitting for 24 hours to see if I can see any water in there. Hopefully I am just being really paranoid because of the ruff day yesterday. How often do people replace there lines. Should I go ahead and order all new hoses seeing how the boat is 12 years old

Sorry to hear!

Was it the line to the tranny cooler that ruptured?

What's your tranny fluid look like?

No it was the water line that comes off of the right side of the impeller assembly and goes around the alternator. I didn't have any problems back towards the transmission. I was just wondering if there was a possibility of water getting in because the engine compartment was filling with water. I pulled the dipstick out and the fluid looked perfect. I pulled both plugs before putting it back into storage. I am going to go look it at it again today after sitting for 24 hours to see if I can see any water in there. Hopefully I am just being really paranoid because of the ruff day yesterday. How often do people replace there lines. Should I go ahead and order all new hoses seeing how the boat is 12 years old

With water in the tranny it would have looked like strawberry milk if there was water in it. As far as replacement hose's go, they are cheap insurance and fairly easy to swap out. If the hoses have nicks/gouges or they seem to be expanding from heat/use then I would suggest changing them but if they look good leave em. With the temp up as high as you say, you may have a few that started to expand (near the clamps it will be obvious).

Well I could just be hearing things but I thought I would pick your brains a little. I had kind of a snowball effect happen yesterday and now I think I am hearing a little clunking in reverse. It all started with the two bolts on the alternator shearing off while surfing last week. They must of vibrated loose somehow without my knowledge and then sheared under the pressure. That was not a hard fix. Just tapped out the old bolts and put in some new grade 8 bolts. The problem I had next is that when the alternator fell off it must of hurt one of the water hoses below it when it came off. I was on the lake yesterday and the water hose exploded as I was going down the lake. It was early monday afternoon so there was no one on the lake to ask help from. I tied a rag around the rupture and limped back to the dock. The engine was about 230 degrees as I limped back. As you could imagine I was taking on a lot of water from the busted line. The bilge was pumping away but I didnt think I would do any more damage. But now after I replaced the hose I feel like I am hearing a clunking sound when I put it in reverse. Not the normal whining sound out of the tranny but more of a slight clunking sound. I could just be really paranoid because of the last couple of ruff outings. My question is, is the the transmission fully sealed or is there an air vent on the top like on a truck. I am wondering if maybe I could of somehow taken in water into the transmission when I was limping into the dock. Thanks in advance, so far you gals and guys have helped with all of my other problems.. By the way this is on a 1997 Sunsetter Lx 320hp direct drive

The clunk sound is usually associated with a damper plate starting to come apart. This is fairly common on inboards of all makes.

My question is,... what caused your alternator bolts to shear? That is VERY odd.

Not so odd at all. Have seen others post same problem, I had it happen on my 99 and my buddy with his 01 (both Monsoon)

Alternator bolts shearing or the clunk?

I am not sure how they sheared. I have only owned the boat for about 3 weeks now (25 hours of use) They must have been loose. I have not done any previous maintenance inside the engine until this occurred. From my understanding there is quite a bit of pressure on the pulleys. So they must had vibrated loose which made it possible for them to sheer. On first glance I thought maybe the previous owner put crappy bolts in but I noticed Indmar uses only grade 5 bolts all over the engine. I replaced the bolts with grade 8. Hopefully I dont have that problem again.

The clunk sound is usually associated with a damper plate starting to come apart. This is fairly common on inboards of all makes.

My question is,... what caused your alternator bolts to shear? That is VERY odd.

What is the damper plate. Is that mean I might be looking at a transmission rebuild. Thanks..

Damper plate goes between the engine & transmission. Helps absorb shock from putting into gear. Search on damper & you should find plenty of pictures & discussions.

• 2 weeks later...

Well to all replying on this thread I just wanted to update you on my boat status. I finally replaced all of the hoses that on the engine that had ruptured. We took it out all day friday and saturday this weekend. It is running perfect. There was never a transmission problem. I was just really paranoid from our couple of breakdowns on the lake 2 weeks ago.

On a funnier note. When we were pulling the boat home on friday night we were caught in a down pour. I don't ever trailer with the cover on so the boat was fully exposed. It was raining so hard that even with the plug removed from the boat, I looked in the rear view mirror at a stop light and the automatic bilge was pumping water out. I just thought it looked a little humorous for a boat on the trailer to be pumping water out at a stoplight.

Hope everyone has a fun and safe labor day weekend.

Well to all replying on this thread I just wanted to update you on my boat status. I finally replaced all of the hoses that on the engine that had ruptured. We took it out all day friday and saturday this weekend. It is running perfect. There was never a transmission problem. I was just really paranoid from our couple of breakdowns on the lake 2 weeks ago.

On a funnier note. When we were pulling the boat home on friday night we were caught in a down pour. I don't ever trailer with the cover on so the boat was fully exposed. It was raining so hard that even with the plug removed from the boat, I looked in the rear view mirror at a stop light and the automatic bilge was pumping water out. I just thought it looked a little humorous for a boat on the trailer to be pumping water out at a stoplight.

You think that was funny....Once I was sitting at a stop light on the way home from the lake. My bilge came on and shot water out almost hitting the convertible Miata beside me (with top down)! The older lady driving was not impressed! Dontknow.gif

Been there done that. Got caught in a deluge and bilge pump ran a lot for many miles. However, whe we got to the lake there was still a bunch os water in the bow.

You think that was funny....Once I was sitting at a stop light on the way home from the lake. My bilge came on and shot water out almost hitting the convertible Miata beside me (with top down)! The older lady driving was not impressed! Dontknow.gif

Are we responsible for our bilge output the same way we are supposed to be responsible for your wake?

OK, now that’s funny! It’s a good reason to pull the plug next to the bilge when leaving the lake. Thanks for the laugh.