Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pet Peeves

msuwaterski

I thought it would be fun to start a thread about our boating Pet Peeves. We all have them, and I am sure some are pretty rediculous, so lets air them out and who knows, we may even learn something from this.

I'll start, but before doing so I want to let it be known that this is not meant to slam anyone. These are just the things that annoy us for no apparent reason.

1. People that put towers on IO's. Come on! You can put a ribbon on a pig but that does not make it pretty. Putting a tower on a Gayliner does not make it a good wakeboard boat, or even cool for that matter.

2. People in tricked out wakeboard boats that don't know how to wakeboard OR drive. I have no problem with someone buying one of these boats for the family because they are good family boats, but it's all the posers that drive me nuts. There should be a minimum requirement that you can go wake to wake both HS and TS at 70', and you know the rules of the water before you are allowed to buy one. Every Sunday afternoon this poser puts his X2 in at the public launch and in 15 minutes the whole lake is unusable. He has it tricked out with the decals on the hull, every board rack full, the lights, the stereo, the ballast, and a boat full of friends. The only thing he is missing is the ability to wakeboard and drive. No one on the boat can go wake to wake, most of the time they can not even get up, and when someone falls they make a nice large sweeping turn at about 15mph to go get their rider. Of course the whole time they are on the lake they are blaring inappropriate music at full volume.

Now before anyone gets on my case that this is one guy making everyone look bad, I can point out 100 different boats on 25 different lakes here in Detroit that fit this criteria.

Edited by msuwaterski

3. The guy with the cigarette boat with the above the water line exhaust that flies up and down the lake/river at wide open throttle, only to turn around and do it again! WEEEEEE!! Look how fast I can burn through a tank of gas!

those that make power turns.

jetski's jumping my wake.

when all the people are standing up, while going fast down the lake (they look like dogs sticking their heads out the window).

3. The guy with the cigarette boat with the above the water line exhaust that flies up and down the lake/river at wide open throttle, only to turn around and do it again! WEEEEEE!! Look how fast I can burn through a tank of gas!

This is a good one. We have a guy on our lake that does the same thing only he has a 28 foot cabin cruiser. It's not loud, but the wake he throws is insane.

The people that live on the lake and think they own the lake. They drive across the course when you are pulling a skier. Then get pis...t at you when they are at falt,boat towing skier has the right of way. Some throw there arms up and throw F booms at you, then say I live on this lake.

We have at least two guys that do exactly this on our river....idiots!!!! Oh and to one up you....the aforementioned idiot's boats are "jet drives", so when they trim them up, they launch a 200 yard wall of water behind them. The sad part is, one of the guys is a decent slalom skier and the other guy is trying to teach his 10 year old how to wake board. For the money these guys sunk in to their p**** enlarger, big-block powered, above the transom exhaust, petrochemical burners they could have bought a Sunsetter, or other proper "family" boat.....

Tubers. Enough said.

Plus1.gif The upper end of our lake is more like a river. The other day we had a Wallie with a 24' cutty cabin cruiser pulling tubers after following for a mile or more I had had enough of his wakes so I pulled to the other side of the lake and started around. Ya you guessed it he cur right in front of us. This happened five times he put his kids right in front of use. The mother and spotter never said a word to the driver. This went on for another mile and a half. Mad.gif

Just never know where there going next!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do they go to the most confined areas of the lake????

i

Not a peeve, but hilarious......................I watched 3 guys in a brand new blinged out Wakesetter try to get up on a wakeboard. After numerous attempts, not one of them could go 2 feet. Not even close. However, they did a fine job of chopping up the only smooth water in sight with their power turns. Just when I thought the worst was over, they switched to surfing. Not one of them tossed the rope. Apparently you need some skills to go with the Billabong shorts and Nike shades. It's hard to be humble in the presence of posers.

Edited by skyskier

Inconsiderate people, whether they be on the lake, or off. Had one on Berryessa this weekend in a Wakesetter, following us way too close while we had a rider up.

Had another one today.... went to Costco to stock up on cheap booze. Parked in the back 40 with very few cars, I'm unloading the truck to re-pack. Some yahoo in a big Dodge pulls into the stall behind me & waits for me to reload & finish up.

I took my time. Pinhead.

Driving home from Shasta now.... on 97 in Bend.

I thought it would be fun to start a thread about our boating Pet Peeves. We all have them, and I am sure some are pretty rediculous, so lets air them out and who knows, we may even learn something from this.

I'll start, but before doing so I want to let it be known that this is not meant to slam anyone. These are just the things that annoy us for no apparent reason.

1. People that put towers on IO's. Come on! You can put a ribbon on a pig but that does not make it pretty. Putting a tower on a Gayliner does not make it a good wakeboard boat, or even cool for that matter.

2. People that buy and trick out Wakesetters (or any other large wakeboard boat) and don't know how to wakeboard OR drive. I have no problem with someone buying one of these boats for the family because they are good family boats, but it's all the posers that drive me nuts. There should be a minimum requirement that you can go wake to wake both HS and TS at 70', and you know the rules of the water before you are allowed to buy one. Every Sunday afternoon this poser puts his X2 in at the public launch and in 15 minutes the whole lake is unusable. He has it tricked out with the decals on the hull, every board rack full, the lights, the stereo, the ballast, and a boat full of friends. The only thing he is missing is the ability to wakeboard and drive. No one on the boat can go wake to wake, most of the time they can not even get up, and when someone falls they make a nice large sweeping turn at about 15mph to go get their rider. Of course the whole time they are on the lake they are blaring inappropriate music at full volume.

Now before anyone gets on my case that this is one guy making everyone look bad, I can point out 100 different boats on 25 different lakes here in Detroit that fit this criteria.

People who own 92' Euro F3's and think that you must be a good wakeboarder to have the freedom to spend you hard earned dollars in the way you see fit! Tease2.gif

It is not a tower on a IO, it is a roll bar.

Doesn't make me mad, but I think it is crazy. In Havasu where I boat guys spend 300K to 500K on a Big Ol Boat (b.o.b.) that can go super fast, but only seat 4 people.

Then the same people all they do is sit in the channel all day long in their B.O.B. with their big ol bellies and cool little pig tail pony tails. With super cool (ahem) tattoo's. Go straight from the dock to the channel, maybe a 10 minute ride.

Then look down on me and my non-custom boat, that was 300% less $ and hold 300% more people.

My neighbor in Havasu has a 500K boat and spends $1000.00 per month on just insurance! And my boat which is way funnier and can do so much more, and hold 12 people comfortable with a ton of gear is $600.00 a year for insurance.

It is not a tower on a IO, it is a roll bar.

Not sure who said it, but it's so funny. We put a tower on the 205 back in like 1999. Back then nobody had towers. So pulling into a gas station & having some hillbilly pull up & say, "Hey, what you got that dang ro'bar on yer boat fer"?

We always told them it was to keep the crash victims inside the boat. Rockon.gif

2. People that buy and trick out Wakesetters (or any other large wakeboard boat) and don't know how to wakeboard OR drive. I have no problem with someone buying one of these boats for the family because they are good family boats, but it's all the posers that drive me nuts. There should be a minimum requirement that you can go wake to wake both HS and TS at 70', and you know the rules of the water before you are allowed to buy one. Every Sunday afternoon this poser puts his X2 in at the public launch and in 15 minutes the whole lake is unusable. He has it tricked out with the decals on the hull, every board rack full, the lights, the stereo, the ballast, and a boat full of friends. The only thing he is missing is the ability to wakeboard and drive. No one on the boat can go wake to wake, most of the time they can not even get up, and when someone falls they make a nice large sweeping turn at about 15mph to go get their rider. Of course the whole time they are on the lake they are blaring inappropriate music at full volume.

People who own 92' Euro F3's and think that you must be a good wakeboarder to have the freedom to spend you hard earned dollars in the way you see fit! Tease2.gif

Touche'. Though I fear you have under estimated the '92 Euro F3, they are sneaky ninja boats. Besides, as Lance Armstrong once said, "it aint the bike."

Jet Skies who get too close to my kids behind the boat. I want to run them down and beat the &%^* out of them for putting my kids in danger. I know they want to jump my wake and if I don't have anyone on a rope I don't care as long as they stay back a good ways. But when I'm pulling someone they is NO safe distance for a Jet Ski to cut behind me.

Tubers. Enough said.

Plus1.gif The upper end of our lake is more like a river. The other day we had a Wallie with a 24' cutty cabin cruiser pulling tubers after following for a mile or more I had had enough of his wakes so I pulled to the other side of the lake and started around. Ya you guessed it he cur right in front of us. This happened five times he put his kids right in front of use. The mother and spotter never said a word to the driver. This went on for another mile and a half. Mad.gif

Just never know where there going next!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do they go to the most confined areas of the lake????

i

Repeat of one of my earlier comments: You can't train idiots to have common sense, morals, decency or intelligence

Edited by Baddog
Jet Skies who get too close to my kids behind the boat. I want to run them down and beat the &%^* out of them for putting my kids in danger. I know they want to jump my wake and if I don't have anyone on a rope I don't care as long as they stay back a good ways. But when I'm pulling someone they is NO safe distance for a Jet Ski to cut behind me.

Cussing and punching them in front of your kids might just leave a tainted memory in your kids' heads. Now, pulling in your skiers or boarders and then following way too close behind the lake lice might be somewhat fun . . . .

30 ft boats with loud thru the hull exhaust on a small lake. I think they are compensating for something because they are usually in the boat alone.

Edited by electricjohn

Cussing and punching them in front of your kids might just leave a tainted memory in your kids' heads. Now, pulling in your skiers or boarders and then following way too close behind the lake lice might be somewhat fun . . . .

It’s happened a few times but one time in particular the Jet Ski was so close to my son I was afraid to even slow down fearing the Jet Ski wouldn’t slow down in time. But being a Bu can turn on a dime I whipped it around 180 degrees and was heading for the Jet Ski before my son started slowing down on skies. The Jet Ski got the idea real quick and was gone for the day.

As for the tainted memory….your right, but the memory will be “the day my dad kicked butt for me. What a dad!”

This thread is stupid, I think there are posers posting, its amaxing how ones wakeboarding abilities increase when there is no way anyone can disprove your abilities. Face it, none of us are pro boarders (at least not to my knowledge) we are just trying to have a good time. I think when you have an F3 there is some envy of the guy with the wakesetter (that cannot wakeboard as good as you); my comment, get over it, someday maybe you can get a wakesetter of your own.

This thread is stupid, I think there are posers posting, its amaxing how ones wakeboarding abilities increase when there is no way anyone can disprove your abilities. Face it, none of us are pro boarders (at least not to my knowledge) we are just trying to have a good time. I think when you have an F3 there is some envy of the guy with the wakesetter (that cannot wakeboard as good as you); my comment, get over it, someday maybe you can get a wakesetter of your own.

You know I will add to the comment above......THE BEST rider I have seen to date in person was being towed by a Reinell I/O with a tower. What is wrong with that?

This thread could have turned out pretty good........ie my biggest pet peeve is that I had to use clear silicone to glue up EVERY one of the clear covers for my interior lights. They will not stay on.

On another note: Wakesetters are a Luxury/ Performance boat as much as they are tow boat. Some people buy them for luxury performance reasons first and towing secondly. If you are ONLY concerned with towing and nothing else wouldn't the vride be as good of a option? I mean how hard is it to fill a 500# sack for the bow? My point is that people that own Wakesetters own them for their luxury/ performance AND ability to produce an awesome wake. Think Mercedes.

Heck I am thinking of the day that I might finally be able to afford a wakesetter.........I will probably be buying it so I can entice my kids to come visit the old coot (me) once in awhile. :) Buy the time I can afford one I will be to old to ride :Doh:

I don't begrudge the person with the top-end wakeboard rig who doesn't know how to ride yet. We all started sometime.

My pet peeves run towards the drivers who don't know what they're doing (regardless of what type of vessel they're piloting). Power turners should be shot. Yes.gif Drivers who sit on top of their drivers seat and face backwards to watch their riders...shot. Yes.gif Drivers who power up pulling a "rider" right as you are about to pass them... Guns.gif. My problems are with people who have no consideration of others and no clue as to boating etiquette (etiquette is one of those words that always looks spelled wrong :lol: ) Which reminds me of my other pet peeve...people who post with 1st grade grammar, spelling, and punctuation. (see avatar) Biggrin.gif

oh ya, almost forgot...tubers. Ranting.gif

I am not envyous of the Wakesetter owner. In fact, my next wakeboarding boat will be a Malibu flightcraft barefoot boat. The video link I have provided of a young Scott Byerly will show you why I want that boat, because clearly it is the boat that makes him so good. Thumbup.gif

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/20..._a_young_s.html