Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who's had a flat tire on their boat trailer

Boarder

This flat tire thing is getting old. I have a VLX on an two axle Extreme trailer. A few years ago I was towing the boat with our Motorhome. I pulled into the gas station to fill up the boat right before we got to the lake and noticed that I had no right rear tire left. What was worse was that the tire bent the rear part of the fender in like a pretzel. Our motorhome is pretty big with a diesel motor. I didn't feel any difference nor did I hear or see anything from my rear camera. I assumed that I must have got a leak in the tire and couldn't feel or see the flat due to towing with the motorhome. I probable kept driving on the flat until the tire heated up and came apart.

Today I got my second flat. This time I was towing with my truck. I checked all my tire pressures prior to leaving and everything checked out good. When I got to the lake I again noticed that my right rear tire was partially gone and again it bent the fender in. Now I have to get a second fender. The trailer handled no different than normal. The truck is diesel so it might have masked the sound a bit. Same tire, same position. Coincidence? I replaced the tire with the spare and checked the inner clearance between the tire and inner fender. It was the same as the other side. You would think I would have felt something but I didn't and I'm hypersensitive about it since the first flat. Did you guys notice a flat on your trailer before it came apart?

Oh yeah. I noticed. But then again I have a single axle trailer and when one of those tires disintegrates instantly at 70 mph it can definitely be noticeable AND exciting. The really sucky thing is that the other tire blew on the return trip.

How old are your tires? They don't last as long as they should.

I am sorry to be a jerk. I have been an avid trailer sailor since my first new boat in 1972. I have never had a flat nor have I lost a bearing. I do trailer a minimum of 46 miles one way to my nearest lake and I generally take at least two trips a year of 93 miles one way and often another of 250 to 600 miles one way. I have not carried a spare since about 1980 and I use a single axle trailer.

Just last wednesday I did replace my trailer tires with some new "D" load rated trailer tires one size larger that are overkill for my boat. I chose to raise the fenders about 1-1/2" to make sure that I had no possibility of rubbing. My old tires were ten years old but showed no signs of cracking but did show signs they were reaching the wear indicators. The tires I took off were already an upgrade from the tires that came on my trailer and I had moved up a size a decade ago and had to modify my trailer then to fit the old ones on it. My old tires were a bias ply and the new ones are a radial and have a considerably wider tread. However, I manuever my trailer by hand in my garage and the new tires seem to roll easier then the smaller old ones. I am paranoid about good tires especially since losing an inner rear tire on my (now sold) motorhome in Mojave CA. I have my wheel bearings repacked every third year and in between I make sure that I keep the bearing buddys loaded with sta-lube marine bearing grease.

I check my tire pressure every time I go out and put my hand on the tire after a trip to see how hot they get.

I know this is anal but I just do not ever want to be stranded along the roadside which is what happened to me with the motorhome around Edwards AFB several years back.

My point is that there is a way to absolutely prevent flats or blowouts. The trailer is a place to go heavy duty not heavy bling. The dang boat sits in the garage 340 days a year anyway so by going flashy it is just a waste of money.

Go on Tire Rack and do a search. After you know what's available then you can go to Les Schwab's and American Tire to compare. By carrying your computer printout with you you can help them find the higher load rated tire you need and it will help you negotiate the price, too. They may have to order up the better tire but it only takes a couple of days.

If you can find a load range "E" tire in your size that would be best. Next best option if you have to go up a size and use a load range "D". After that then just go up a size in the load range "C".

You can't go wrong with heavy duty tires just like you can't find water too glassy.....

Edited by DONTW8

I had to replace a tire on my trailer near Lake Havasu Arizona. It was 111 degree's outside and the blacktop pavement was so out I had to lay down towels in order to change the tire! NOT FUN!

I always have a spare and always keep a few cans of Fix a Flat with me just in case.

But 10 years, same tires, one blow out. Not too bad. I do check the tires before any long trips.

I had a tire blow years ago when I had a single axle trailer with my Reinell. I didn't have a spare at the time. Fortunately for me this happened about a mile from a Les Schwab where I had bought the tires. I had the tire replaced at minimal cost and was on my way again in a short time. We were on our way to Shasta and it was 115F there. After I launched the boat, I noticed that the other tire was split and about ready to blow. In the middle of the week I ran it into Redding to the Les Schwab there and got it replaced.

I haven't had a problem with the tandems with my Malibus so far. I do carry a spare, but that is some good advice concerning the tire ratings. I did just have the bearings repacked.

I am sorry to be a jerk. I have been an avid trailer sailor since my first new boat in 1972. I have never had a flat nor have I lost a bearing. I do trailer a minimum of 46 miles one way to my nearest lake and I generally take at least two trips a year of 93 miles one way and often another of 250 to 600 miles one way. I have not carried a spare since about 1980 and I use a single axle trailer.

Just last wednesday I did replace my trailer tires with some new "D" load rated trailer tires one size larger that are overkill for my boat. I chose to raise the fenders about 1-1/2" to make sure that I had no possibility of rubbing. My old tires were ten years old but showed no signs of cracking but did show signs they were reaching the wear indicators. The tires I took off were already an upgrade from the tires that came on my trailer and I had moved up a size a decade ago and had to modify my trailer then to fit the old ones on it. My old tires were a bias ply and the new ones are a radial and have a considerably wider tread. However, I manuever my trailer by hand in my garage and the new tires seem to roll easier then the smaller old ones. I am paranoid about good tires especially since losing an inner rear tire on my (now sold) motorhome in Mojave CA. I have my wheel bearings repacked every third year and in between I make sure that I keep the bearing buddys loaded with sta-lube marine bearing grease.

I check my tire pressure every time I go out and put my hand on the tire after a trip to see how hot they get.

I know this is anal but I just do not ever want to be stranded along the roadside which is what happened to me with the motorhome around Edwards AFB several years back.

My point is that there is a way to absolutely prevent flats or blowouts. The trailer is a place to go heavy duty not heavy bling. The dang boat sits in the garage 340 days a year anyway so by going flashy it is just a waste of money.

Go on Tire Rack and do a search. After you know what's available then you can go to Les Schwab's and American Tire to compare. By carrying your computer printout with you you can help them find the higher load rated tire you need and it will help you negotiate the price, too. They may have to order up the better tire but it only takes a couple of days.

If you can find a load range "E" tire in your size that would be best. Next best option if you have to go up a size and use a load range "D". After that then just go up a size in the load range "C".

You can't go wrong with heavy duty tires just like you can't find water too glassy.....

I'm running Carlisle Radial Trail S215/75R14 that has a load range of c rated at 1870lbs per tire at 50psi. Thats 7480lbs total. There is no way I'm carrying that kind of weight. I have an adjustable hitch to balance the trailer properly. Granted a load c tire is not as good as a D or E but you would think it would be enough for a 2 axle trailer pulling a VLX. My boat doesn't sit too long. Out most weekends from April to the end of September. And probable once a month in drysuit season. My first tire went within the first month I owned the boat so I don't think tire age was an issue. Maybe Carlisle's are junk? I'm just frustrated

One blowout in 4 years. The tire was only 1.5 years old at the time. Luckily it on the way home from the ramp, only a block from my house. I heard it blow, but I was only going 25 mph with my windows down.

man I wish I would have heard it, it might have saved me a fender.

Boarder,

It sure seems that you have adequate capacity and indoor storage is what has added longevity to my tires, also. The price of your boat is many times that of us lowly skiers. The argument: An upgrade in tires should come before a stereo ( rack, chrome, whatever) upgrade it seems to me.

Kumho offers a "D" rated tire in a 205R-14 that is rated for 2271 pounds each according to Tire Rack.

Carlisle is a well known aftermarket brand and they make airplane and forklift itres also.

Your tires are a 26.7" diameter and rated for 1870 pounds.

Goodyear offers a 225/75R15 rated for 2540# each in a "D" load range and 28.3" diameter.

Your trailer fenders may offer enough room to go to 15". A critical dimension will be the lengthwise distance between fender mounts. Of course the fender height and width come into play.

You could mess with the fender modification in the winter of course and measure twice or thrice before moving your fenders.

Edited by DONTW8

I have had two flats. One was my fault for trying to use a tires that was way too far worn. The other had good tread but came apart from manufacture failure. I never travel anywhere without a spare.

I blew one a month ago and then another a week ago. I was surprised because the tires looked good.....no cracking, good tread and the boat/trailer is an 06'. I was told by discount tire that my tires were actually from 2004. Looks like extreme somehow used old tires in my case. Replaced all 4 when I found out that news. Crazy thing is that I had to replace 3 tires on my toyhauler the same day because they were dry-rotted and I didnt want them to blow too. sucks!!!

Maybe you have found a way to absolutely remove all nails, screws and sharp things from the roads and parking lots. There is absolutely no way to absolutely prevent flats and blowouts, absolutely! Whistling.gif

I have blown 1 tire and when it went didn't even know. Trailer handled great compared to other trailers I have had. Extreme bought all there tires on a closeout so many of the tires were old stock. Mine had on it 150 miles when it went pulled the others off just to check them and all three were separating from the inside out. Needless to say I replaced all the tires.

Couple of things:

I've had a couple of flats, but not while running. Picking up a nail is not a hard thing to do & we've done it. You can plan & check & double-check, but you can't eliminate that variable.

Your VLX may not be approaching the weight loads for those tires, but the whole thing is heavier than you may think. My '06 on an Extreme (identical setup to your boat) was nearly 6k lbs moderately loaded. That's a real world measurement taken at the scales, unhooked from the tow rig. Don't go by what Malibu says because that's just the boat, with no tower, no trailer, no gas, no fluids, etc etc. Just some food for thought.

It's probably a coincidence that this happened on the same tire twice, but I would have the alignment of the axles checked. If the one in question is a little bit out, it may have contributed to the tire failing. Just a thought.

when mine blew a month ago, I just happened to not be listening to the stereo and I heard it blow (even with the windows up). My buddy was towing our boat last week and blew another one.....he didnt hear it go and felt no vibration. It tore the fender up pretty bad but at least it didnt get the boat

Sounds like that tire could be out of alignment. I know someone who had a slight wobble in a tire and the tire would overheat and blow. It was so consistent they could predict when it would go flat until they finally fixed it.

I checked the axle position and it seems to be ok. I noticed no unusual tire wear prior to the flat. I'm going to take up the suggestion and replace all 4 tires with a brand E rated tire and order a new fender and hope. As far as how old the tires are. It's an 05 Extreme trailer so the tires are at least 05 and who knows how long Extreme had them hanging around but the tire I replaced I got at Americas Tire and it was the second one to blow. I didn't realize that a VLX with the trailer was pushing over6000 lbs so a D rated tire would be in order

Edited by Boarder

This year while running to Parker and Havasu I blew three tires in five trips. The tires were from 2004 so I guess it was time. The boat is stored in the garage and there were no cracks or dry rot but they just started self-destructing. I'll never go that long on trailer tires again. The heat and high speeds kill tires, Discount Tires told me that three years is the max for trailer tires. I lucked out two times but the last one killed the fender.

I think most people look at the weight ratings & don't realize how much they leave out that needs to be factored. Even though the axle positions look good, it might be worth having the shop check the alignment when they put the tires on just to be sure.

This year while running to Parker and Havasu I blew three tires in five trips. The tires were from 2004 so I guess it was time. The boat is stored in the garage and there were no cracks or dry rot but they just started self-destructing. I'll never go that long on trailer tires again. The heat and high speeds kill tires, Discount Tires told me that three years is the max for trailer tires. I lucked out two times but the last one killed the fender.

I feel your pain brother

I think most people look at the weight ratings & don't realize how much they leave out that needs to be factored. Even though the axle positions look good, it might be worth having the shop check the alignment when they put the tires on just to be sure.

Thats a good point... Do trailers have allignment adjustments like toe and camber?

I wouldn't go that far (I don't think so on the Extremes, but I'm not an expert on that), but if the entire axle is off by a little bit then it can cause tire problems. An extreme example was a trailer that we had years ago (not a boat trailer). This was a tandem on which one of the axles was off by a bit, enough that if you pulled the trailer more than a few miles it would pull the rubber right off of its wheel on the driver's side of that axle. Every time, without fail. Thank goodness it was a tandem. :lol: As soon as we took it in to get that axle straightened up, no problems.