Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Self install Bakes add a bag system

BellevueJeff

Today I finally got all the parts in hand to try and plumb some additional ballast into my LSV 23. Started in the port rear locker adding the 750. Installed the diverter valve no problem, figured out the drain line y no problem, but couldn't find the drain pump wires for the factory ballast to splice into to power my piranha for the bag.

I looked all over the back of the boat, except for under the floor as that looked really time consuming to take out.

Anybody hear on the board know where these wires come from? I thought they were the purple/black wires that continued on past the fill pump into the rear ballast tank area, but when I cut those wires the drian pump still worked.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help,

jeff

Today I finally got all the parts in hand to try and plumb some additional ballast into my LSV 23. Started in the port rear locker adding the 750. Installed the diverter valve no problem, figured out the drain line y no problem, but couldn't find the drain pump wires for the factory ballast to splice into to power my piranha for the bag.

I looked all over the back of the boat, except for under the floor as that looked really time consuming to take out.

Anybody hear on the board know where these wires come from? I thought they were the purple/black wires that continued on past the fill pump into the rear ballast tank area, but when I cut those wires the drian pump still worked.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help,

jeff

I don't know, but I just installed the same system myself. Still need to get my pictures up, but I ran fresh wires to two new switches that I added. This way I can control the pumps independently of each other and the stock MLS. I was fishing around for the drain pumps and also could not find mine on my 08 LSV. Based on how the front drain pump is mounted I believe the rear pumps are under the floor. I have a small access piece of floor with 4 screws, which I believe holds the pump. It is all the way at the stern of the boat in each storage locker, towards the engine compartment. I'll try to get my pics up tonight or tomorrow so you can see what I did.

On a separate note...

Were you able to install the y valve and keep the spacer ring in place so the valve has a hard stop in it? I drilled through the panel but by the time you put the valve together again the two halves are further apart due to the screws going through the panel. Not a big deal but I kind of wish I could have the valve stop instead of freely spinning 360 degrees.

Last bit of advice is make sure all your hose clamps are tight as possible on your 'y' connectors to the through-hulls. I made mine tight but not super tight, and I had some minor dripping during draining. I got back in there the other day and tightened everything as tight as I could, so hopefully the leaks will be gone.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff - I did my own Bakes-type install, and I definitely recommend wiring your drain pumps to their own switches. Not sure what year your LSV is, but you'll be able to find an empty circuit breaker for the power...and then you should have a grounding block for the ground. I can post pics of my install if that helps.

Brian - on my Y-diverter valve, I went to the hardware store and got longer bolts/screws because of the thickness of the panel. Mine stops where it's supposed to....works great actually!

It's amazing how many hose clamps you go through on these projects! I'm so happy I finally plumbed in the rear bags....makes for a lot less work for me each time we go out. I'm also glad I did it all myself, because now I know exactly how everything works so I can troubleshoot problems.

Edited by atxfletch

i agree on the hose clamps. you do go through a ton. while you are at it you should work with zack at bakes online to build you a custom enzo shape sac. i recently did this with my 247 and if i have a crew of 5 or so you will not see a 750 on the seat. the custom 247 surf sac does an excellent job of distributing weight along the side of the boat. best 700 i have spent on my boat period.

zack at bakes will guide you well.

i agree on the hose clamps. you do go through a ton. while you are at it you should work with zack at bakes online to build you a custom enzo shape sac. i recently did this with my 247 and if i have a crew of 5 or so you will not see a 750 on the seat. the custom 247 surf sac does an excellent job of distributing weight along the side of the boat. best 700 i have spent on my boat period.

zack at bakes will guide you well.

I'm seriously considering a custom sac myself!

you still interested in that gear, Rhino?

Finally I just bit the bullet and tried to remove the floor. On a 2003 LSV it appears to me that you can't actually get the floor piece out without removing the entire rear seating, so I just took out the screws and lifted the panel up enough to reach the wires that go to the drain pump. Never did figure out where the wires come from. I pulled the wires up enough to splice into them, and pushed them back down when done. Needed to carefully screw the floor piece back in, as if you don't, the piece between the engine and the stern storage won't go down far enough for the plastic toggles to fit under the metal support.

Works great now. I did get longer screws to mount the diverter valve. I too accidentally installed the valve without stops, but figured out by looking at the diverter valve instructions that if you put the plastic piece in one way, there are stops, and the other, there aren't. It's the ring that comes out when you remove the handle.

Hope that helps. Only need to install two more and I'll be done.

J

you do not even need to run wire or another pump! Simply splice into the over flow to fill the next bag! when the stock tank is full it will fill the bag and the opposite is true when you drain! it is damn simple! Try it!

I'll have to pull mine apart again and take a look. I remember that I had the ring in there, inserted the correct way but the handle would not go far enough through the hole to hit the stops on the ring. The back of the valve is already against the wall, so maybe I just wasn't pushing the handle in far enough? Time to go look I guess.

The crappy thing is I think I lost one of the little rings that act as the stop...