Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What mods have you made?

Faceplant409

I was at the lake for a week with my family and Bro-in-law & the subject of all the improvements/mods I've made over the years came up. (& how much time off the water I've invested.) Not including the stereo stuff & ballast mods that we all do...

Here's a short list:

Binding lube squirt hose through the deck under the center sunpad (where the vent holes are on an '04) also made a mount for a lube bottle out of 3" abs pipe,

I made the Titan lift offs lockable for marina nights,

I added a swim ladder under the platform, (had to modify ladder bracket to allow ladder to retract fully under platform) Mrs. Faceplant's favorite mod!!!

I modified the cooler drain & added a valve, then I added a ballast pump and through hull to the cooler to pump it out- works pretty slick!

I added a pull up cleat to the bow for easier anchoring during short stops like lunch & swimming

I added a nylon bag that accepts garbage bag liners for trash between driver's seat & cooler.

I added hooks for the oar so it can't get lost...

Added the Titan running light

Mounted a lockable steel tool box to the floor under the observers seat for tools & as a strongbox for marina nights. Used rubberized undercoating on bottom of box to prevent rust.

Extended guide poles a foot longer and added stop, turn, tail lights to the guide poles. (My personal favorite mod-peace of mind while towing!)

Added an extra bilge pump & through hull off the 2nd battery-just a little peace of mind while she's at the marina!!

Added hand holds in the teak platform.

EDIT- I raised the driver's seat 2" (baddog's post reminded me)

What have you guys done to make boating more fun??

Edited by Faceplant409
I was at the lake for a week with my family and Bro-in-law & the subject of all the improvements/mods I've made over the years came up. (& how much time off the water I've invested.) Not including the stereo stuff & ballast mods that we all do...

Here's a short list:

Binding lube squirt hose through the deck under the center sunpad (where the vent holes are on an '04) also made a mount for a lube bottle out of 3" abs pipe,

I made the Titan lift offs lockable for marina nights,

I added a swim ladder under the platform, (had to modify ladder bracket to allow ladder to retract fully under platform) Mrs. Faceplant's favorite mod!!!

I modified the cooler drain & added a valve, then I added a ballast pump and through hull to the cooler to pump it out- works pretty slick!

I added a pull up cleat to the bow for easier anchoring during short stops like lunch & swimming

I added a nylon bag that accepts garbage bag liners for trash between driver's seat & cooler.

I added hooks for the oar so it can't get lost...

Added the Titan running light

Mounted a lockable steel tool box to the floor under the observers seat for tools & as a strongbox for marina nights. Used rubberized undercoating on bottom of box to prevent rust.

Extended guide poles a foot longer and added stop, turn, tail lights to the guide poles. (My personal favorite mod-peace of mind while towing!)

Added an extra bilge pump & through hull off the 2nd battery-just a little peace of mind while she's at the marina!!

WOW you have done a lot,

I was/am planning a few mods during the winter, Silent Tip Exhaust for one to quiet down the motor.

Strengthing the trunk (Direct Drive) to accept more ballest, I think I can get about 700 pounds back there after the floor of the trunk is reinforced. I have also been toying with the idea of a heater.

Last year I insulated the morot box to help with the motor noise, there is a difference but I think the STE's will do more.

REW

Added a ski rack that works without a tower.

Built a Goose Guard for the swim platform.

Raised driver's seat.

Insulated fuel lines.

Just installed retractable extensions to the end of my slip so i can connect the stern lines behind the D rings on the transom.

Edited by Baddog

that is a lot. heres what ive been able to manage

Raised the seat.

installed latest perfect pass

new amps bass- supwoulfs stereo

tower lightgot a new tow vehicle :) my fav automatic semi truck hauler

I added a Indmar MCX350 with electronic speed control and the CAN style (2005) MMDC

Adjustable Rudder

Gorillia Fins

OBX Racing Fuel Pump

AEM Fuel Regulator

SS Fuel Lines

Edited by rinconking
I added a Indmar MCX350 with electronic speed control and the CAN style (2005) MMDC

Adjustable Rudder

Gorillia Fins

OBX Racing Fuel Pump

AEM Fuel Regulator

SS Fuel Lines

Why the fuel mods?

Raised driver's seat.

Insulated fuel lines.

Just installed retractable extensions to the end of my slip so i can connect the stern lines behind the D rings on the transom.

How did you do the rack without the tower? Got any pics?

Not nearly as much "cool" things, but I got my 2000 VLX late last year and so far I have:

Relocated batteries from rear port locker to behind observer

Installed Stargazer PP (no paddle wheel!)

I still would like to finish a few maintenance type things this year like:

Cut cover to go around the tower (after market tower)

Fix stereo issues (sub and other wiring genious by previous owner)

De-oxidize, polish, wax her up

Replace Rub rail

I'll be pretty pleased if I can get these done while the wife isn't looking!

Edited by fijidaniel

Adjustable Rudder

Gorillia Fins

OBX Racing Fuel Pump

AEM Fuel Regulator

SS Fuel Lines

Why the fuel mods?

I was starting from scratch, my boat was grounded and had no power train. for the cost of malibus fuel system, my current system is better for just a little extra.. also this engine had no regulator at the fuel rail like indmar malibu engines.

Only thing I've done is a custom amp rack, had some tower light brackets custom machined and built a low profile dolly to get the trailer tongue low enough to fit the boat into the garage when we need to. I won't count the four extra speakers I installed in the cabin because that's really not a modification. I also added custom exhaust tip, not the silencer ones but the short stainless ones just for looks while out of the water.

I have only had my boat since March, so my list is kind of short:

Added a marine radio and built a custom made mounting bracket for the marine antenna.

Added custom folding guide posts on the trailer to get it through my 9' wide door.

Moved the factory shower to the rear storage compartment and made a shower hose retainer.

Added quick disconnects to the shower and heater hoses in the engine compartment for winterizing.

Added drain holes to the tub under rear seat.

Added a big tub in the port rear compartment with a drain to the bilge for wet suits and vests to keep the compartments dry.

Moved the storage location for the table pole to the rear compartment.

Turned the two factory batteries 90 degrees and mounted them side by side to make more room below the glove box.

Added a pullout vent on heater for the driver.

Plugged all of the ugly threaded unused holes in my Illusion XS tower with nice black plugs.

Added a coiled pigtail to the trailer to keep it from dragging.

Added blue led lighting for the floor and changed out the factory white lights to blue.

Changed out the red wakesetter lighting to blue.

I think that covers it for now!

Terry

Stereo stuff but thats another topic

Added 2007 chrome switch covers, mine was just the plastic black ones

changed out the glovebox cover to the chrome door

Put a shutoff valve on the drain line to the front ballast tank. (Now all the water stays in the tank, until I am ready to empty it)

Thats about it but I have more that I want to do

Extended heat tube to passenger area

Raise seat a few inches is one of them

Upgrade braking device on trailer, get rid of the mechanical hydraulic brake and go to electric hydraulic is the other big one.

Shower for the future wife Whistling.gif

Edited by NvBoarder

has anyone converted the built in ice chest into a fridge?

I would really like to tackle this project

I'm thinking that the 2 biggest issues would be

1) insulating box and sealing the "door

2) making sure that the heat that the compressor gives off doesn't wind up in the engine compartment

both issues seem addressable

what do yall think?

Since we bought our Sunsetter, I have…

Installed Perfect Pass Digital pro

-Made contoured plates to match the curve of the deck for the bases and mounted a tower.

-Added two pair of tower speakers & fabricated 45 deg plates for the outer pair of speakers, the kids say it rocks outside the wakes now. Adding another amp for them didn’t hurt either, we project panoramic sound now.

Drilled the dash & cut the vinyl in the rear sides to add cabin speakers.

-Fabricated mounting brackets to install bow speakers in the pockets by the drink holders.

-Made a mounting bracket for the head unit remote and signal processor under the dash by the walk through.

-Mounted a wired cell phone antenna on the tower and ran to driver side dash.

-Installed a hot water shower in the ski locker & modified the trim piece inside it for the control knobs to come through from behind, concealing everything nicely.

-Modified and moved the floor mounts for the original battery so that a second larger batt/box fits neatly along the same wall, saving space in the storage compartment.

-I’m currently making my own block off plate for the walk through out of Plexiglas and low profile aluminum channel for the sliding rails. Everything is cut to fit, just need a few bits of hardware and more time to finish it.

-The trailer got some grit tape put on over the fenders to step on them comfortably and some was placed on the frame in the area where I stand to operate the winch or get in & out of the boat at the ramp(this made a nice difference!)

-

Raised driver's seat.

Insulated fuel lines.

How did you do the rack without the tower? Got any pics?

No photos, will try to get some next time on the boat.

Basically I have two verticle pieces attached to the handles on the starboard side with four angled arms (~7" long) on which I store the skis. Not the prettiest set up but very very fuctional. One thing to pay attention to, don't build it so any part of it or skis extended above the side otherwise, the first time the skier pull to starbaord, something has got to give. Don't aks me how I know htis.

Quick disconnects on most of the hoses for winterization

BlueSea Charging relay / dual batt setup

Domed numbers

Not really mods:

Stereo stuff: IR remote emitter, amp, sub, speakers

Bimini & wedge

So after reading this post i went home to investigate how to raise the seat...where do you guy's add the spacer? i see a couple spot's where it could be done. Anyone have pics? The other mod i like was the newt juice holder made of PVC under the rear trunk door, mine takes up a drink holder right now. Again pics please.

Added a marine radio and built a custom made mounting bracket for the marine antenna.

Added custom folding guide posts on the trailer to get it through my 9' wide door.

Moved the factory shower to the rear storage compartment and made a shower hose retainer.

Added quick disconnects to the shower and heater hoses in the engine compartment for winterizing.

Added a big tub in the port rear compartment with a drain to the bilge for wet suits and vests to keep the compartments dry.

Turned the two factory batteries 90 degrees and mounted them side by side to make more room below the glove box.

Plugged all of the ugly threaded unused holes in my Illusion XS tower with nice black plugs.Added a coiled pigtail to the trailer to keep it from dragging.

Added blue led lighting for the floor and changed out the factory white lights to blue.

Terry

Terry,

Just wondering where you got the plugs? I have a few unused holes also that I'd like to plug up.

Stereo stuff but thats another topic

Added 2007 chrome switch covers, mine was just the plastic black ones

changed out the glovebox cover to the chrome door

Put a shutoff valve on the drain line to the front ballast tank. (Now all the water stays in the tank, until I am ready to empty it)

Thats about it but I have more that I want to do

Extended heat tube to passenger area

Raise seat a few inches is one of them

Upgrade braking device on trailer, get rid of the mechanical hydraulic brake and go to electric hydraulic is the other big one.

Shower for the future wife Whistling.gif

Future Wife???? Does she know yet Dontknow.gif

2000 vlx mods:

Pulled bow seats and built a carpeted and painted (underneath) wooden playpen (4-5 inches lower than seats). This allows picking people up with the bow, no worries about shoes. The pro-x 750 sac sits significantly lower due to this as well.

Heater mod so if it ever leaks I can plug the feed and return lines together and keep riding

Lifted the front of the driver's seat about 1"....I like the lowrider feel

Relocated batter to underneath passenger seat (optima blue top on it's side) and upgraded to hipo alternator to address amp draws from ballast system

Tee'd into center locker sack a ballast puppy that feeds the bow sac. Right now I can flip 4 switches and fill all 4 sacs

Running Pro X 750's in rear locker's with ball valves on fill and drain lines to keep the boat heavy

Built and installed a new wind blocker, also installed new v-drive dividers out of 5/8 lexan (or something like that)

Mounted Cheech and Chong Bobble heads to the dash (they always make me smile, even if I ride like junk)

Mounted a 4" blower (as opposed to stock 3")

Installed shower in starboard V-drive locker, switch and mixing assembly are all within reach from the swim platform

Welded the Monster tower joints to keep it from swaying during riding and pulling peeps

Installed a "good job horn" (Goose horn) on the bimini to give props when people are riding well and build morale

Stripped all the graphics off

Installed audio (obviously)

Got rid of the little L brackets that lock and unlock the trunks

There are probably many more I am forgetting.

Things to do:

Build a built in ice-chest/seat for behind driver with drain to bilge

Take the passenger side center seat and remount it so it tilts up to about a 30 degree angle allowing people the ability to lean against it.

Many more.

Plugged all of the ugly threaded unused holes in my Illusion XS tower with nice black plugs.Added a coiled pigtail to the trailer to keep it from dragging.

Terry

Terry,

Just wondering where you got the plugs? I have a few unused holes also that I'd like to plug up.

Autozone, they are the black panel retainers used on cars interiors. I looked and looked for something to plug those holes and then it hit me!! They look great!!!

Terry

So after reading this post i went home to investigate how to raise the seat...where do you guy's add the spacer? i see a couple spot's where it could be done. Anyone have pics? The other mod i like was the newt juice holder made of PVC under the rear trunk door, mine takes up a drink holder right now. Again pics please.

On my boat there are 4 bolts that hold the seat to the sliding track on the base. I repalced those bolts with longer bolts (I think 5") and slid 4" galvanized pipe nipples between the sliders and the bottom of the seat.

- Added a bow sack

- Added a 750's to each rear locker

- took out the false wall in rear locker

- added couple amps, tower speakers, sub, and batteries

- added heat

- took the wedge off and then put it back on to keep the wake from washing up on the back deck

- added a front bow cover

- added titan lift off racks