Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I/O Wake surfing

Winz

I almost posted something about this as well also. While on the lake I have seen it two times now..........I/O with a wakesurf.

I am scared that we will reach a point where wakesurfing will be outlawed all together. Stupid people.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ndawg12

• WakeGirl

• Baddog

• Lance B. Johnson

Chaparral-1.jpg

Just so all can see. I also sent them a note.

Hey look, another illusion copy. So now the question is who doesn't have the illusion.... or one similar looking.

Yeah, all 3 of those videos from the WW post are full of absolute LIES! Gotta love marketing!

I'm hoping wakesurfing doesn't get outlawed before I finally get my boat setup and ever get to try it. I also sent Chaparral a message:

Do you really think it's responsible of you as a company to advertise that you can safely wakesurf behind a stern driven boat, where you are only 10-15 feet away from the prop, so close you can see it. You can't even compete in your own market so now you try to invade the inboard market and sling mud. Pretty shameless, and when wakesurfers get seriously injured or killed and the sport is outlawed all together behind any boat we will have you to mostly say thanks to.

That's all I could come up with at the time, but they'll get the point when enough people contact them.

I'm hoping wakesurfing doesn't get outlawed before I finally get my boat setup and ever get to try it. I also sent Chaparral a message:

Do you really think it's responsible of you as a company to advertise that you can safely wakesurf behind a stern driven boat, where you are only 10-15 feet away from the prop, so close you can see it. You can't even compete in your own market so now you try to invade the inboard market and sling mud. Pretty shameless, and when wakesurfers get seriously injured or killed and the sport is outlawed all together behind any boat we will have you to mostly say thanks to.

That's all I could come up with at the time, but they'll get the point when enough people contact them.

I called and asked for someone in the legal dept...got a machine but I will keep you all posted.

I am going to try the "concerned citizen" approach as I have found that this gets you further. The second people are in the defensive the walls go up.

I think this might be the best approach as the legal dept might have some power to make a change within the company.

I called and asked for someone in the legal dept...got a machine but I will keep you all posted.

I am going to try the "concerned citizen" approach as I have found that this gets you further. The second people are in the defensive the walls go up.

I think this might be the best approach as the legal dept might have some power to make a change within the company.

Good idea, keep us posted.

Surfing behind an IO is really dumb, but at least that Chaparell has a HUGE platform over the drive.

Yes, easier to hit the prop than on a vdrive, but way safer than surfing behind a Cobalt or something.

Not saying i'm going to do it, just saying i could see how they might have designed the platform to enhance the safety.

Surfing behind an IO is really dumb, but at least that Chaparell has a HUGE platform over the drive.

Yes, easier to hit the prop than on a vdrive, but way safer than surfing behind a Cobalt or something.

Not saying i'm going to do it, just saying i could see how they might have designed the platform to enhance the safety.

Maybe that's their train of thought but I'm not buying the physics behind it. Just picture falling forward and partially landing on the platform with your upper body, that makes me shudder. That platform would need to extend another 3 or 4 feet before I could see it offering any form of safety.

I've seen a lot of new boats that have the Outdrive moved forward so that the prop is forward of the transom. Just like our pop is forward of the transom. Maybe that is how they built it. But still, ours has the rudder behind it. It just may be that the IO prop is as far under the boat as ours. And some have these huge swim platforms that extend 4 ft. beyond the transom. That would put the prop 5 ft in front of the platform's rear. If that's the case, how do you all feel about it?

Someone go take a look under that boat.

Edited by JasonK
I've seen a lot of new boats that have the Outdrive moved forward so that the prop is forward of the transom. Just like our pop is forward of the transom. Maybe that is how they built it. But still, ours has the rudder behind it. It just may be that the IO prop is as far under the boat as ours. And some have these huge swim platforms that extend 4 ft. beyond the transom. That would put the prop 5 ft in front of the platform's rear. If that's the case, how do you all feel about it?

That would be a little better but I don't think the prop was nearly that far from the platform based on those videos.

Edit: And why are you looking at a lot of those boats Fingerwag.gif

Edited by nemire12

Ever have those people on your boat that are just learning to wakesurf and end up accelerating right up onto your platform? Looking at the picture of that boat still looks like the prop is at the edge of the platform. I can't imagine anyone thinking surfing behind an I/O is even remotely a good idea even with an extended platform. Dontknow.gif

Ever have those people on your boat that are just learning to wakesurf and end up accelerating right up onto your platform? Looking at the picture of that boat still looks like the prop is at the edge of the platform. I can't imagine anyone thinking surfing behind an I/O is even remotely a good idea even with an extended platform. Dontknow.gif

Little bit of Darwinism at work here, that's all.

The Chap in question is a normal transom mounted stern drive. And no, the extended swim platform is not going to help... in fact it might make things worse. When underway the prop is right at the surfast of the water coming off the deep v hull and the prop is also about 18 inches behind the transom. This creates a very large "air gap" (not sure what else to call it) between the swim platform and the water coming off the hull.. sort of like a little cozy cave under the patform(maybe 2-3 foot high "cave" with dual counter rotating props right in the middle of it. If you came down the way with a little too much speed and fell forward into the patform you would likely catch the patform with your hands (because it would be about waist or chest heigth... this would swing your legs/feet under the platform into the cozy little "cave".. and well.. there is a monster in the cave waiting for you. My previous boat was a 2008 25' deep V boat with a swim patform and a Bravo3 (dual prop) drive... very similar to the Chap setup.. we tried surfing once (think... hmmm.. why does everyone think this is so dangerous).. i was up for about 30 seconds before i realized just how easy it would be to slip under the platform (because it was so high off the water) and into the prop... decided NO WAY were we going to do that behind my boat. I should have taken photos... VERY different then surfing behind a D or V-drive boat. On my 'bu you can surf right up to and on to the swim platform... if you surfed up to the back of my deep-V I/O the platform would have hit you in the waist/chest and your legs would be under the patform.

If you look at the pictures that Chapparal posted on their website, you can see the outdrive in the wash roughly even with the end of that swim deck. The boat in the pic is going a bit faster than surf speed, but it really lets you see where the prop is.

http://www.chaparralboats.com/2009/images/...264X_Run_09.jpg

http://www.chaparralboats.com/2009/images/...e/sux264-OP.jpg

If you look at the pictures that Chapparal posted on their website, you can see the outdrive in the wash roughly even with the end of that swim deck. The boat in the pic is going a bit faster than surf speed, but it really lets you see where the prop is.

http://www.chaparralboats.com/2009/images/...264X_Run_09.jpg

http://www.chaparralboats.com/2009/images/...e/sux264-OP.jpg

That first picture should just about end the discussion on whether or not surfing should be tried behind that boat

am i the only one who thinks it would be a total pain in the a_ _ to even use a boat like that (27') for towing?

...it just seems like turning, spotting rider, taking up slack in the rope, accelerating, maneuvering would be such a (scary) hassle.

i really like how low to the water (and rider) I am with our old Bu, she turns silky smooth and it's very easy to talk with rider, turn and get rope to them and repeat....

It is funny to see that Extreme ad again. I was approached by them to use my 2005 Vride for the comparison. I first asked why they wouldn't be comparing it to a 2009 VLX and a 2009 MC X-Star. I got no real response, just offered a couple hundred bucks and a free cleaning after they were done. They wanted it from Wed-Sun. and they would tow it from my home to Orlando area and back about 90 miles. I thought about it, if it was for one day, and I got to tow it there and back. I really wasn't comfortable with someone else driving 80 mph on I-4 with no care in the world. I really wasn't told what it was for ,but now I'm glad I didn't say yes. If I'm not mistaken, I believe they are comparing it to another Vride in that ad. Can you say stacked deck. I love my Vride, but it is no 2009 VLX for sure.

Well I thought I would ask the question of the sales staff in my local area and here is the conver sation we had. I find it interesting that he personaly would not advocate it. but then turns and says his customers do it. personaly if see one of his customers on my lake and I will call the po po.. sorry but I fell out boards or inboard outboards are just a no no!:

"I have always looked at it this way. You will ride a bit further behind the platform on the Chaparral. What I have seen is people are surfing at roughly 11 to 12 mph. With no rope, if a rider falls forward, by the time they hit the water, the boat is moving away from the rider at 11 to 12 mph and I believe the boat is out of the way and the rider is out of the perceived danger zone. You should come in and take a look at the video I have. I cannot make the decision for people, but do know I have customers out there surfing behind these boats, and have not heard of any accidents to date. I guarantee you this … you will love the ride of the Chaparral in rough water. Much more freeboard, rides much higher off the water, nice deep V, and throws a nice wake for surfing and wakeboarding. "

Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:24 AM

To:

Subject: RE: advertisement

Hey ---- thanks for the quick reply. I currently have an inboard but have been considering a new boat. One of my mandatory abilities is surfing as my family enjoys it. A friend had sent me the ad showing people surfing behind the extreme series chaparral. I had always been under the impression the surfing an I/O was a very big no. so I had to ask. Is the swim deck long enough that if a surfer fell forward into the boat that the prop would not be an issue? I know in my inboard there is 4+ feet of boat and swim platform in the way. How does this compare to the chaparral?

Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:13 AM

To:

Subject: RE: advertisement

"Chaparral has a video out showing people surfing behind the 224 and 244 Xtreme boats. They have taken some flack for it, mostly from the competitors they are taking business from, namely the Inboard comp boat manufacturers and owners. Bottom line is, not everyone wants an inboard because they can be fairly one-dimensional. An I/O, especially our new line can offer not only a great comfortable ride in rough water, but also a great boat to ride behind. The extended swim platform is extra large, and of course the outdrive unit is quite a ways under it. The surfing on the video is taking place a good 10 plus feet behind the boat. All water sports are to be undertaken at ones own risk, and there are inherent risks in all water sport activities.

People that are opposed to surfing behind an I/O simply won’t do it, and I certainly would not recommend doing behind any I/O. The Chaparral Xtreme was designed to compete head to head with the inboards, and is doing a good job at it.

Feel free to call me with any other questions."

Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 7:21 AM

To:

Subject: advertisement

Hello I saw in your extreme line up that you say you can wake surf behind.. I have been told you cannot wake surf behind any I/O. can you please explain..? Thanks