Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I/O Wake surfing

Winz

I have a couple of friends that have wake surfed behind my wakesetter, and subsequently, have started wake surfing behind their I/Os. I have warned them about the potential dangers. Logically it make sense that there is a higher likely hood of an accident involving the prop, but my question is has there been any documented accidents involving surfing behind an I/O? Is there true evidence that someone has been hurt or is it a theoretical danger?

FYI - Chapparal is advertising their Sunesta 264 I/O as a great wake board/wake surf boat. To quote from their website "Leaving behind a monster wake that only a stern drive powered deep-V hull could create, the 264 is well suited for wake surfing. "

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ndawg12

• WakeGirl

• Baddog

• Lance B. Johnson

I have a couple of friends that have wake surfed behind my wakesetter, and subsequently, have started wake surfing behind their I/Os. I have warned them about the potential dangers. Logically it make sense that there is a higher likely hood of an accident involving the prop, but my question is has there been any documented accidents involving surfing behind an I/O? Is there true evidence that someone has been hurt or is it a theoretical danger?

FYI - Chapparal is advertising their Sunesta 264 I/O as a great wake board/wake surf boat. To quote from their website "Leaving behind a monster wake that only a stern drive powered deep-V hull could create, the 264 is well suited for wake surfing. "

I don't know about documented cases.....I do know that I have fell behind my boat before close enough to the swim platform that I hit it with my hand. I shudder to think if I had done that behind an I/O if

I would still have that hand.

I read the post and honestly did not believe that they would make that statement on their website. But they sure did. They are going to kill someone. That is insane.

And when someone does die (or cuts their hand off in the prop), you can bet that all our boats (I/O or not) will be lumped into the same category when they totally outlaw surfing

Edited by rts
martinarcher

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of anyone doing behind a boat. I can't imagine surfing behind a boat that you can look down while surfing and see the prop!! Doh! Dontknow.gif

There was a thread on WW a few years back with a picture of hand that was cut up after the person fell wake surfing behind an I/O. Not sure if it was legit or not, but it looked gross!

The word Darwin keeps popping into my head. Not sure why...hmmm.

And regarding the Sunsetta ad...bet marketing missed running that one by legal on the way to a proof.

Do the inboard mfrs even refernce Wakesurfing. Seems like something they know will happen, but never officially acknowledge due to liability reasons? Not sure. Anyone ever seen the word Wake Surf on a Malibu or MC publication?

The word Darwin keeps popping into my head. Not sure why...hmmm.

And regarding the Sunsetta ad...bet marketing missed running that one by legal on the way to a proof.

Do the inboard mfrs even refernce Wakesurfing. Seems like something they know will happen, but never officially acknowledge due to liability reasons? Not sure. Anyone ever seen the word Wake Surf on a Malibu or MC publication?

The 2008 malibu catalog, on the 247 wakestter someone is surfing behind the boat.

I don't know about documented cases.....I do know that I have fell behind my boat before close enough to the swim platform that I hit it with my hand. I shudder to think if I had done that behind an I/O if

I would still have that hand.

Think about the person that goes to step off the board onto the swim platform and misses, postholes straight down... Oops.gif Not a good scene in any way. We should all email the contact email and enlighten them of their mistake. Should we start a little pool to see how long it takes for it to get changed?

Edited by TheBlackPearl
There was a thread on WW a few years back with a picture of hand that was cut up after the person fell wake surfing behind an I/O. Not sure if it was legit or not, but it looked gross!

Thats the post I was thinking of. Completely stupid to surf behind an I/O. I bet Chaparral is thinking since they have a elevalted swim platform that they are ok, but Iwouldn't do it.

When I had an I/O we didn't even have the engine running when someone was out in the water just for the simple possibility of mistakenly putting it gear, can't even imagine how stupid some people are not knowing the risk involved Crazy.gif

Go ahead and let them and the Darwin rule will be in effect and there will be fewer Wallys on the lake.

Then the bleeding heart libs will outlaw it cuz its not safe and we will truly be wakeoutlaws as we continue.

When I had an I/O we didn't even have the engine running when someone was out in the water just for the simple possibility of mistakenly putting it gear, can't even imagine how stupid some people are not knowing the risk involved Crazy.gif

Last time I checked they don't make you pass an IQ test before allowing you to buy a boat . . . .

. . . . . nor before procreating and that is a bit scary with some of these folks.