Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I Can't Get Up On The Skinny Ski

Baddog

One of the things to help with the drowning feeling is to make sure your rear leg is tucked in behind your front leg. If I don't remember that, I can feel the wall of water coming up off my back knee right into my face... I'm 245 on a 69" Senate, but can/have gotten up on 68" KD. For me, I start with quite a bit of weight on the front foot, but need to put more weight on my back foot to keep the ski more stable as I start to get some lift. It can be a big adjustment going from a wider stick to a skinny stick.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• bobofthenorth

• davemac

• Sunsetter95

I start with rear foot out and put it in as I plane. The other points sound great. I can tell from these points that I am definitely standing too soon. This will help. I'll let you know how it goes next weekend.

I have a 67" Phantom Truth and a 68" (I think) O'Brien. For the life of me I can't recall which model.

I ski 15 off at 32 and can easily make 1 ball, as long as I don't have to actually go all the way around it.

Weight? Depends. Is that with or without that really heavy bathing suit and the lead lined vest? What about before or after the morning constitutional? Bottom line = 185-190.

Gotta tell ya' BD, we've missed you around here. Between both you & Hank going AWOL, the place just hasn't been the same. Glad to have you & your comments like the above quote back. Biggrin.gif

I have a 67" Phantom Truth and a 68" (I think) O'Brien. For the life of me I can't recall which model.

I ski 15 off at 32 and can easily make 1 ball, as long as I don't have to actually go all the way around it.

Weight? Depends. Is that with or without that really heavy bathing suit and the lead lined vest? What about before or after the morning constitutional? Bottom line = 185-190.

Gotta tell ya' BD, we've missed you around here. Between both you & Hank going AWOL, the place just hasn't been the same. Glad to have you & your comments like the above quote back. Biggrin.gif

I enjoy being back. I missed it. This is a fun site and a great community. I do like to add a bit of levity in all parts of my life. I can't believe how many people I know that just take themselves, and life in general, way too seriously.

Not to be too contrarian here, but I found that less flotation works for me. Early in the year I went to a HO vest (not CGA) and found that my starts were way easier. In that vest I can barely keep my mouth out of the water to yell to the driver, but once I go the pull up seems so much easier. When I float higher, I tend to get pulled over the front more and my hands end up near the tip of the ski. This seems to drive the tip down and I plow through the water. Starting lower in the water with the vest on, I can keep my hands near my feet and I have a shorter easier pull. I'm double booted so that may change the dynamics for me.

Agree with the Synchro comments - I have three daughters using that ski - but unfortunately, they stopped making it! Can't believe they'd stop making such a great ski, especially when they don't seem to have a replacement for that niche (great open water, easy start, course capable).

C'mon man, they have squirrels that can do it! Sorry. Had to. Tease2.gif

If you believe extra flotation is the key, why not try two vests? We use that sometimes to get bigger guys up on the skyski. Two vests also comes in handy if you fracture a rib and don't know when it's time to stop.

Not to be too contrarian here, but I found that less flotation works for me.

That's wild because it is exactly the opposite for me. I think the bottom line is that there is so much going on in those 2 or 3 seconds between when you say "hit it" and when you adjust your shorts that really giving anybody else any serious help is largely a random event.

I remember when I was learning deep water starts everybody told me "drag your leg, it'll be easier" but there is no bloody way I can drag a leg. I finally figured out that the few times I was actually getting up my foot was already in the pocket when I did get up so I stopped trying to drag it and eventually went to double boots. Every one of us is different and some of us are REALLY weird.

I noticed this year, that I had to start to thinking alot more about getting up, where it used to occur w/ much less effort. (I'm 41yrs old, 5-10", 190 lbs, on a 67" Radar Senate, w/ RTP and get up draggin rear foot)

I found that my front leg was too straight, and I tried to stand up too early, which resulted in plowing.

My solution was more knee bend & letting the boat do all of the work (I prefer the driver to be hard on the throttle). In "being more patient", I actually found the ski got up on plane much faster. More knee bend allows me to "ride" the ski out of the water at a shallower angle..with less strain.

You might want to experiment w/ keeping your head bowed down...which might also help with a shallower angle of exit from the water & allow for a nice pocket of air in case you need to take an extra breath.

Good Luck.

I start with rear foot out and put it in as I plane. The other points sound great. I can tell from these points that I am definitely standing too soon. This will help. I'll let you know how it goes next weekend.

Have you tried putting you rear foot in but not all the way plus arching your angle, only have your foot about half way in, this should give you a little more control keeping the ski straight Dontknow.gif

There have been comments about life jackets and this past weekend I actually used a new USCG jacket (had for a year, but hadn't used it until now) I bought to match my ski and it definitely suspended (floated) me much higher in the water and I was able to get up much easier. I'll be using this jacket from now on :)

I have skied nearly my whole life and on slalom for most of that. The early years were on my wooden ski that had a medium width to it and a slight tunnel on the base. 4 or 5 years ago I purchased an HO shaped ski that I affectionately call "Big Bertha" and have found it to be the easiest slalom ski in the world to get up on, because it is so wide in the front. I have since wanted to crank up my skill level and learn how to ski the course and I know I can never turn quick enough on Bertha.

I have one O'brien and one HO skinny ski and I just can't get up on the darned things. Looking for any and all advice to help me to the next level.

I have been single, slalom, skiing for years. What you have to remember is that the sooner you can get the front of your ski level, the quicker it will plane. It sounds like you are actually plowing the front of the ski thru the water. That might be why it is so hard for you to get up. I do not know if you are using double rap boots or not. BUT I always try and teach my beginners to drag the rear foot or at least place it lightly in the rear toe with as little weight on the back as possible. As you come up, you can extend your rear leg behind you and keep your arms straight. You are now able to lean your shoulders foward and your arms straight to push the front of the ski down to a level position. As you gain speed, you can slip your rear foot all the way into the back boot and start to enjoy your ride. Of course this method only works with an open toe in the back.

These sound like great pointers and I can't wait to give 'em a go. However, that will have to wait until next weekend as I am stuck in Bowling Green, KY working on a project install.

Keep other ideas coming, and thanks.

The Connelly Pilot or Outlaw might be something to consider along with the HO Rival, all of which are shaped to assist greatly with deep water starts.

You got a stick with ya?...If you're going up I-65, there is a chance that we could get together for a ski run on your way through.

My driveway is 17 miles from the water and our ski club has a fairly well protected slalom course waiting there that we use several times a week. I work second shift so we ski some really good water regularly.

PM me if interested... you too LouDoc, I know you Doctors take off sometime during the week every once and a while.

Not to be too contrarian here, but I found that less flotation works for me.

That's wild because it is exactly the opposite for me. I think the bottom line is that there is so much going on in those 2 or 3 seconds between when you say "hit it" and when you adjust your shorts that really giving anybody else any serious help is largely a random event.

I remember when I was learning deep water starts everybody told me "drag your leg, it'll be easier" but there is no bloody way I can drag a leg. I finally figured out that the few times I was actually getting up my foot was already in the pocket when I did get up so I stopped trying to drag it and eventually went to double boots. Every one of us is different and some of us are REALLY weird.

I agree, completly, and between you and me, YOU must be the really wierd one. Could never be me. I think. Right? Maybe??

Two vests? What? Do they make hugo jumbo now? That's the only way i could see to put 2 on.

Rope is on the right side.

Hmmm. I ski RFF and put the rope on the right side of the ski.

Since holding your ski straight isn't the issue, I doubt that this would make any difference,

but I'm just wondering what the concensus is here on rope placement.

Rope is on the right side.

Hmmm. I ski RFF and put the rope on the right side of the ski.

Since holding your ski straight isn't the issue, I doubt that this would make any difference,

but I'm just wondering what the concensus is here on rope placement.

Easy enough to give it a go tomorrow morning.

In this thread we've gone beyond proving how weird we are. Now we can't even decide how many life vests we should wear. Crazy.gif

But, generally, RFF, rope on left side, LFF, rope on right side. Otherwise, you're really weird.

Edited by HRemington
In this thread we've gone beyond proving how weird we are. Now we can't even decide how many life vests we should wear. Crazy.gif

But, generally, RFF, rope on left side, LFF, rope on right side. Otherwise, you're really weird.

That's a relief. My coach told me I was weird - LFF & rope on right side.

I feel better already.

For my money put the rope on the side that feels right.

That's a relief. My coach told me I was weird - LFF & rope on right side.

I feel better already.

For my money put the rope on the side that feels right.

With LFF, rope on the right only seems natural. If I were on 2 skis, the rope would be on the right of the left ski. But I'll give it a try anyway.

Fellow Ohioan -- first of all, would the assignment have anything to do with the Corvette plant? Whistling.gif Love that place. (We have a plant in Glasgow.)

Also, I'll be back at Norris on the 14th-18th. I bought a boom this season, and just last weekend, we used it for the first time, and all 3 of my kids used it to get up on one ski. My wife hadn't skied on one ski in 20 years, and she got up with the boom. Just takes one big element (the rope) out of the equation. If you want to borrow it the weekend I'm down at Shanghai, let me know. You are welcome to it, or you can just hop in my Sunsetter and go for a ride.

I won't give you any more pointers; the ones you've already received seem great. I did learn a trick from the South a couple of weeks ago which we employed with great success. Take a double-decker Chocolate Moon Pie, put it in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, put a scoop of ice cream on top, and it is about the best way I've seen to soothe the wounds from a slalom fall at 32 mph.

Fellow Ohioan -- first of all, would the assignment have anything to do with the Corvette plant? Whistling.gif Love that place. (We have a plant in Glasgow.)

Also, I'll be back at Norris on the 14th-18th. I bought a boom this season, and just last weekend, we used it for the first time, and all 3 of my kids used it to get up on one ski. My wife hadn't skied on one ski in 20 years, and she got up with the boom. Just takes one big element (the rope) out of the equation. If you want to borrow it the weekend I'm down at Shanghai, let me know. You are welcome to it, or you can just hop in my Sunsetter and go for a ride.

I won't give you any more pointers; the ones you've already received seem great. I did learn a trick from the South a couple of weeks ago which we employed with great success. Take a double-decker Chocolate Moon Pie, put it in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, put a scoop of ice cream on top, and it is about the best way I've seen to soothe the wounds from a slalom fall at 32 mph.

Not the Corvette plant, last time I passed, it was still closed. Kroger has a bakery in BG, KY and I am helping make the world safe for new and better French Bread and Baguettes.

I may take you up sometime on trying the boom but for now I am going to try to implement some of these suggestions this weekend. Be well.

4 Advill chased with some really good single malt works better IMHO.

When I started again last year, I couldn't get up so I attached the rope to the tower a couple of times to get back in the groove. I think it really helped.

When I started again last year, I couldn't get up so I attached the rope to the tower a couple of times to get back in the groove. I think it really helped.

My kingdom for a tower.

So, Baddog, what is the verdict??? We all want to know. Did you get up, or what (and how many life jackets did you wear)?

Bummer.

Minutes before I left the house to try this new stuff I was bending over my stupid computer bag putting some stupid stuff away and, zing, something pulled in my back. WTF?

So, with the goal of not making it worse I didn't go skiing. NOT!! Went skiing but stayed on the Big Bertha as it is so easy to get up on. Shyte. Next time. Stay tunned.

The skinney ski has less surface area and will require the boat to do more work. You will be accelerating slower..drug further until you reach a higher planing speed. Planing speed is faster on the skinny skis...less surface area. Planing speed higher + smaller surface area + big skier = boat doing a lot more work. If your getting up on your fat ski with no problem were you full of fuel or low on fuel. On the skinny ski were you full of fuel or low on fuel. My 71 Triumph (wide body) will be planed befor I hit the swirl with average fuel . I am 6"6" and 230 #. My 69 Senate (skinny ski) is a hard long pull to get up when low on fuel and very challenging to say the least with full fuel. I am old and don't drag as eagerly as I used to. I contacted Malibu and told them we deepwater start the lsv told them my weight, typical boat load, and current prop set up and asked if there was a downside to taking out some prop pitch. He chuckled and thought I was asking alot from the prop I have. He suggested dropping some pitch and adding some diameter. I went to thier recomended high altitude prop specs for my 23 lsv wakesetter. Said the prop he recomended is a real stump puller and should make the boat accelerate quicker under the heavier loads. I will lose top end, but I dont use top end anyway. I am waiting on the prop now will tell you how it goes. If you are satisfied with your technique and you are just not reaching planing speed fast enough, and you believe the slow planing and lenght of pull is keeping you down you may want to consider your prop setup. I think enerything is designed around the average 167 pound human being. Good luck Rick

Edited by ricar116
The skinney ski has less surface area and will require the boat to do more work. You will be accelerating slower..drug further until you reach a higher planing speed. Planing speed is faster on the skinny skis...less surface area. Planing speed higher + smaller surface area + big skier = boat doing a lot more work. If your getting up on your fat ski with no problem were you full of fuel or low on fuel. On the skinny ski were you full of fuel or low on fuel. My 71 Triumph (wide body) will be planed befor I hit the swirl with average fuel . I am 6"6" and 230 #. My 69 Senate (skinny ski) is a hard long pull to get up when low on fuel and very challenging to say the least with full fuel. I am old and don't drag as eagerly as I used to. I contacted Malibu and told them we deepwater start the lsv told them my weight, typical boat load, and current prop set up and asked if there was a downside to taking out some prop pitch. He chuckled and thought I was asking alot from the prop I have. He suggested dropping some pitch and adding some diameter. I went to thier recomended high altitude prop specs for my 23 lsv wakesetter. Said the prop he recomended is a real stump puller and should make the boat accelerate quicker under the heavier loads. I will lose top end, but I dont use top end anyway. I am waiting on the prop now will tell you how it goes. If you are satisfied with your technique and you are just not reaching planing speed fast enough, and you believe the slow planing and lenght of pull is keeping you down you may want to consider your prop setup. I think enerything is designed around the average 167 pound human being. Good luck Rick

Power is not an issue, I thnk it is more that my drivers use the same amount of power as when I am on the Bertha ski. More power quicker may be just the ticket.